[KERNEL] Clemsyn's Elite Kernel: Pushing the Limits of Nexus 7. Now with 700mhz GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

boynamedstacy

Apr 3, 2011
Spokane
www.talkandroid.com
Man clemsyn. You freaking killed it bro. I never thought this thing could be this fast. Like stupid fast. I'm sooooo stoked I can actually run this thing. Thanks a million brother!

Sent from my Glazed-over Nexus 7

jarjar124

Apr 28, 2012
Brooklyn
Man clemsyn. You freaking killed it bro. I never thought this thing could be this fast. Like stupid fast. I'm sooooo stoked I can actually run this thing. Thanks a million brother!

hows the battery life so far? someone should underclock this baby and see how it runs. i would but i dont have my n7 with me at the moment :(

Rafase282

Oct 25, 2006
Bronx
Feast on this!

44c4d47a-aa6c-3f1f.jpg
44c4d47a-aa77-3672.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Also I have my N7 on a leather case. Would that have a huge impact on temperature? I have never bothered to either think about it or monitor the temps.

boynamedstacy

Apr 3, 2011
Spokane
www.talkandroid.com

Rafase282

Oct 25, 2006
Bronx
yea how much % has gone down within an hour..

On stock and at max, I have seen it go down a few % while running benchmarks and so.

If you are not going to play games then put it back to 1.1 max and even less on screen off and i guess you wont have to worry about battery life, I can last days if i'm not playing games with the mortley's kernel.

Also I spent almost a whole day with the device streaming music, at night i just turned it off and it was about 49% or a bit less. I stopped the test right there.

Without heavy use, I could go easily into the 3 days mark and maybe more depending on the clock speeds.

Unlike my G2X, I really dont have to worry about battery life unless im playing dead trigger or a similar taxing game.

rohan32

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2011
New Jersey
rmathur.com
Holy mother of god this thing is fast.
Heats up in like 5 minutes though. Definitely not a daily but insanely cool. Very nice work, OP. Really, really, cool.

leelaa

Feb 20, 2012
Liverpool
Feast on this!

44c4d47a-aa6c-3f1f.jpg
44c4d47a-aa77-3672.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

Also I have my N7 on a leather case. Would that have a huge impact on temperature? I have never bothered to either think about it or monitor the temps.

Should be getting a better score than that considering the power this kernel is throwing out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

jarjar124

Apr 28, 2012
Brooklyn
On stock and at max, I have seen it go down a few % while running benchmarks and so.

If you are not going to play games then put it back to 1.1 max and even less on screen off and i guess you wont have to worry about battery life, I can last days if i'm not playing games with the mortley's kernel.

Also I spent almost a whole day with the device streaming music, at night i just turned it off and it was about 49% or a bit less. I stopped the test right there.

Without heavy use, I could go easily into the 3 days mark and maybe more depending on the clock speeds.

Unlike my G2X, I really dont have to worry about battery life unless im playing dead trigger or a similar taxing game.

thanks. on trinity underclocked at 1.1ghz my n7 battery doesnt even go down when i use it. used it for browsing for about 30min? still 100% :) cant wait to try this beast

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
I spiked as high as 114fps during quadrant. I had to increase voltage on 1.7ghz freq. though. my quadrant scores were horrible..lol. waiting for tablet to cool down some before running it again.

I did kill nenamark 2 though with 69FPS

device does heat up very fast during benchmarks. for regular use, if if someone device rebooted during benches, it can handle the 1.7ghz with normal use.

time to attempt quadrant again. my fps stayed above 106. as I ran more tests, they kept spiking then dipping really low. I guess heat was getting to it. but I never crossed the threshhold above 68c to make it downgrade performance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-08-13-21-36-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-13-21-36-25.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 837
  • Screenshot_2012-08-13-21-37-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-08-13-21-37-32.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 930

boynamedstacy

Apr 3, 2011
Spokane
www.talkandroid.com
What settings did you use?

Damn, quadrant just peaked at 117 FPS!! Only a 6900 bench, though. What am I saying. Only? That's still pretty damn good! Loving this ish!

Settings:
1700 min/max
Deadline I/O
Performance governor
SD boost 2048

Edit: No reboots, freezes or FC,s since flash. Temp running at 138°F after a few bench tests, 115°F with normal use. Loving the lower brightness too BTW.

Last edited:

Rafase282

Oct 25, 2006
Bronx
Damn, quadrant just peaked at 117 FPS!! Only a 6900 bench, though. What am I saying. Only? That's still pretty damn good! Loving this ish!

Settings:
1700 min/max
Deadline I/O
Performance governor
SD boost 2048

Edit: No reboots, freezes or FC,s since flash. Temp running at 138°F after a few bench tests, 115°F with normal use. Loving the lower brightness too BTW.

I'm going to try these settings and watch for the FPS to see the max it gets.
Also I'm taking the leather case out to see if I can feel some heat.

boynamedstacy

Apr 3, 2011
Spokane
www.talkandroid.com
Definitely take it out of a case. That will increase heat and could cause a reboot while benching. Tegra 3 also has a temp safety that will throttle back speeds once it gets to high. You'll definitely feel her get warm though!

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Yo Clem, what's the VR scheduler? That's a new one for me.

meatlocker

Jul 29, 2007
FL
Clemsyn, nice to see you back at work, bro. I've absolutely LOVED your prior work. Can't wait to try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD NOTE: IT APPEARS THIS KERNEL IS FOR 4.1.x ONLY. Flashing on 4.2 will result in bootloop. also, this kernel is unsupported by the OP, so thread is currently CLOSED

First and foremost, I would like to thank _motley for his kernel since this is based on his kernel. I chose his kernel because I have worked with him and IMO is the best kernel out there at the moment :). Second, I would like to thank pinoyto and secret for testing the kernels. Also thanks to Koush, Blades, faux123, pershoot, chatch15117, all the Gtab, Asus Transformer and Motorola Atrix users, and other devs that I may have missed. BIG THANKS to my beloved wife for watching the kids while I do this.

I call this kernel elite since the timings are pretty aggressive and voltage are decreased on the low side and increased on the high side. This kernel might not work on your device because of these so be sure that you have a backup and and that you are familiar on restoring your device.

The following are the difference with motley's kernel

1. JRCU is implemented
    2. Lowest backlight setting set to 5 (save battery and better reading at night, if you have screen flicker issue it will be more noticable because of this so I suggest covering the ground pin of wifi)
    3. Core voltage increased from 1200 to 1250mv on the high side to hit 1.7 frequency and 600 GPU but decreased from 950 to 900mv on the low side.
    4. Increased CPU voltage to 1240mv for 1.7 frequency but allows decreased 750mv in low side
    5. Increased GPU clock to 600 and pixclock increased (please let me know if you have problems on screen due to pixclock increase but so far no issues on testers)
    6. Built using gcc 4.5.2 ( I know, I'm an oldie)
    7. DVFS core table completely changed to allow max clock of host1x and pll_c and hit most max frequencies.
    8. Enable Thermal_Sys to throttle at 68 (BTW, if you are using system tuner, the reading is +10 as per secret)

Added 484 GPU and 520 GPU. LMK how it goes.

Link is below

Source in compliance with GPL :)

https://github.com/clemsyn/Grouper

IF YOU WANT THE UNDERVOLTED VERSION PLEASE SEE SECOND POST :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 09/23/2012

Releasing another 1.8ghzCPU and 650mhz GPU

Here are the differences with the last 650gpu

1. Used Linaro compiler
    2. Increased 3d/2d bus, pll_c, and host1x for higher scores
    3. Removed the pixclock overclock, This is running on default pixclock by Asus. This will limit the fps to 60 fps max, so old benchmarks will not score over 100 fps but will only max at 60. I suggest newer benchmarks like GL2.5 or Benchmark 2.0 ES Taiji...
    4. EMC voltage decreased to 1.100 mv (Not sure if your device can handle this but pinoyto's device was fine with it)

Here is the link

https://rapidshare.com/files/2462982943/1.8ghz650GPUNopix.zip

If you like my work, please click on Donate button on my Sig and add on to my Nexus 7 fund ;) Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATED 9/20/2012

*** SPECIAL RECOGNITION goes to PINOYTO for the first donation of this project. THANKS for rewarding my hard work!! ***

Thanks to masterg0g0 for 2nd donation ;)

Also thanks to all the testers of the 700mhz GPU.

This latest kernel comes with the 1.8ghz CPU and 700 GPU with 3 types of pixclocks.

First off is the max pixclock. This has the highest pixclock of all the kernels and will limit your fps to over 100 fps. The downside is the pink screen issue.

https://rapidshare.com/files/901768617/1.8ghz700GPUMAXPIXoc.zip

Second is the mid pixclock overclock. If you have a pink issue on the first one, try this. This will limit your fps to about 90 fps. The downside is you might still have a pink screen

https://rapidshare.com/files/4017246162/1.8ghz700GPUMEDPIXoc.zip

Third is the NO pixclock overclock. This for sure will have no pink issue but will limit your fps to about 65 fps.

https://rapidshare.com/files/258377771/1.8ghz700gpuNOPIXOC.zip

Here are the changes made from this latest kernels

1. GPU increased to 700 gpu, vcore and vrail voltages increased
    2. pll_c, host1x increased to accomodate the increase in GPU speed
    3. Compiled using Linaro toolchain.

WARNING:

The timings in this kernel are very aggressive, voltages although within Nvidia limits are high. Please make sure you backup and be very familiar in recovering your device.

IF YOU LIKE MY WORK, PLEASE CLICK on the "DONATE TO ME" BUTTON UNDER MY SIG TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION and ADD on to my "NEXUS 7 FUND". Your donation will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATED 8/17/2012

Overclocked to 1.8ghz with GPU at 650..WARNING THIS IS GOING TO GET HOT!!!

https://rapidshare.com/files/1034477848/Clemsyn1.8GPU650.zip

Pink fix

https://rapidshare.com/files/223841402/Clemsyn1.8GPU650Pinkfix.zip

Changes:

1. Temp limit increased to 70
    2. Voltages increased to accomodate 1.8ghz and 650 gpu

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if you like my work, please dont hesitate to click on the Donate button under my username. Thanks.
    Updated 8/23/2012

This new kernel is based upon what I believe is the best overclocking speed (1.5 ghz) and a cpu nominal voltage of 1.150mv and a core of 1.175 mv (core default is 1.2) while lowering the lowest voltage of 750mv and 900mv respectively. This kernel hits the max speeds of the GPU at 600 while utilizing the lower voltages to insure better battery life and less heat. Also pixclock has been decreased to minimize pink issues on the screen :) Again, this might not run on all Nexus 7 due to aggressive lowering of voltages. HAVE FUN!!
    Also make sure you have a backup and familiar with restoring your device.

BTW, if you like my work. Don't hesitate to DONATE and help me buy some diapers :) Thanks

Finally got the issue why most devices where not working right. Also was able to undervolt MORE because of this finding. Here are the changes

1. Vcore undervolted to 1.15 mv :) (default at 1.2) cpu mv at 1.15 mv running 1.5ghz
    2. pll_c decrease from maximum (this was what was causing all the issue)
    3. This kernel is set to 1.5ghz automatically. However if your ramdisk is programed to 1.3, then it boots to 1.3 intially. After pressing the power button once (or letting it sleep), it automatically resumes to 1.5 ghz without any CPU program.

I highly recommend that these settings be used for better battery life, LESS HEAT and power usage... Good for daily use :)

Here is the link

https://rapidshare.com/files/1026092132/Clemsyn1.5extremeUndervoltedFINAL.zip

BTW, if you like my work please show your appreciation and click on the Donations link under my signature. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 8/17/2012

OK, updated this version of the kernel to increase CPU Core to 1.2mv for some stability for some users...Here is the link

link deleted for latest version above

----------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------

This new kernel is based upon what I believe is the best overclocking speed (1.5 ghz) and a cpu nominal voltage of 1.150mv and a core of 1.175 mv (core default is 1.2) while lowering the lowest voltage of 750mv and 900mv respectively. This kernel hits the max speeds of the GPU at 600 while utilizing the lower voltages to insure better battery life and less heat. Also pixclock has been decreased to minimize pink issues on the screen :) Again, this might not run on all Nexus 7 due to aggressive lowering of voltages. HAVE FUN!!
    Also make sure you have a backup and familiar with restoring your device.

BTW, if you like my work. Don't hesitate to DONATE and help me buy some diapers :) Thanks
    Thanks to all the testers of 2ghz kernel. It seems like I would have to increase the vcore from 1.45 to the maximum of 1.5mv. This will disable the ability to go to bootloader from the ROM. Also that increase of vcore should help with the 725mhz GPU. I'll build one tomorrow, I'll apply the low pll_C voltage too. For now, homework with the kids ;)

:) Thanks for the link. I think they also need to give credit to _motley in the post in which this kernel is based. This would not have been possible without his kernel :)

BTW, will try to fine tune the 2.0ghz more and see what we can do but I believe we have hit the ceiling :)
    Thread Closed

After getting several requests to close the thread, I have thought it over, and decided to close it, due to::
    a. No support from developer
    b. Broken links to files
    c. People flashing a 4.1x kernel on 4.2 resulting in bootloops.

PM's to the OP have gone unanswered, and no activity in the OP's account since last year. So it seems this project is abandoned.

If the OP wishes it to be unlocked, then contact me.

MD