[ROM][CM9] Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Search This thread

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
Epic Touch Blog: Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Utility for CM9 Epic Touch
This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's Ice Cream Sandwich FF18 firmware entirely from emmc without making any changes to the ROM currently installed on your phone. When you reboot, you return to recovery where you can re-flash the ROM to return to CM9. This temporary ROM is useful for several purposes.
  • Update Profile
  • Update PRL
  • Sprint Activation
  • Dial codes and diagnostic mode
QBKing77's video is on the EL29 temp boot but instructions should be almost exactly the same except just use the included kernel/recovery that comes with the CM9 rom instead of the directbootCWM kernel!

Thanks to nubecoder, chris41g, noobnl and mkasick for making this possible!

Last edited:

kozmo2k4

I've tried this twice today, downloaded all files, checked md5's, unzipped folder, copied files and folder to Internal sdcard, followed Qbking77's video to the "T" and just getting a reboot to CMR 5.0.2.7, never to the temp ROM.
I'm currently on AOSP JellyBean, was just trying to get GPS fixed; came from BlueKuban.
Gotta run out, will re-do the whole thing tonight, again.... Third time is a charm?

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
I've tried this twice today, downloaded all files, checked md5's, unzipped folder, copied files and folder to Internal sdcard, followed Qbking77's video to the "T" and just getting a reboot to CMR 5.0.2.7, never to the temp ROM.
I'm currently on AOSP JellyBean, was just trying to get GPS fixed; came from BlueKuban.
Gotta run out, will re-do the whole thing tonight, again.... Third time is a charm?
Only for CM9 at the moment.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

times_infinity

AFAIK, sbrissen's kernel doesn't have kexec support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Reactions: KCs2k

coiledwire

Oct 20, 2010
norcal
Any advantage to using this ff18 temp rom versus the older el29 version?

Edit: if I use the older direct boot cmw and el29 temp rom, then I can use it on both cm9 and jb/cm10?

Sent from my SPH-D710

Last edited:

calisro

Sep 9, 2008
noneya
el29 works for me but the newer one doesn't reboot into the temp rom like the older one. when I run the bootzip it runs but never causes cwm to reboot to the zimage.... I'm on CM9 NIGHTLY

ColdCircuitCash

Dec 6, 2008
Can anyone here confirm that the FF18 temp rom can be used with CM10/AOSP JB? Or do I HAVE to use the el29 temp rom?

Sub question...would I have to flash to CM9 to use either?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Epic Touch Blog: Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Utility for CM9 Epic Touch
    This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's Ice Cream Sandwich FF18 firmware entirely from emmc without making any changes to the ROM currently installed on your phone. When you reboot, you return to recovery where you can re-flash the ROM to return to CM9. This temporary ROM is useful for several purposes.
    • Update Profile
    • Update PRL
    • Sprint Activation
    • Dial codes and diagnostic mode
    QBKing77's video is on the EL29 temp boot but instructions should be almost exactly the same except just use the included kernel/recovery that comes with the CM9 rom instead of the directbootCWM kernel!

Thanks to nubecoder, chris41g, noobnl and mkasick for making this possible!
    thanks for the reply! though if i decide to go to AOSP, how would i restore my nandriod backup so that i can update PRL/Profile, dont i need to be on the same TW kernal (agat) that i backed up with? And you cant be on AOSP with a TW kernel...

Use Garwynn's v0.4.1 kernel to make the Backup it uses the same recovery as AOSP, that's how I always did it, haven't been on AOSP in a little bit.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png
    Nice. I use the old version all the time.

AFAIK, sbrissen's kernel doesn't have kexec support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    What if I am on a Jellybean AOSP rom (dirty unicorn) with an FL24 modem. and i wanted to use this to update prl/profile? would this work? I would think the prl update would brick it because I am on FL24 modem while on stock el29, would it?

Probably not a good idea, you should keep a nandroid of TouchWiz on your sd.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png