[Streak7][Streak10][Guide]Rooting Your Device

Search This thread

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Announcement:
Superuser7.zip is now Superuser.zip
What was previously called Superuser.zip is renamed to Superuser-legacy.zip

The instructions and links below have been updated to reflect this.

Requirements:
  1. A custom recovery:
    • Clockwork Mod 6.0 (or newer)
    • Team Win Recovery Project 2.2 (or newer)

Install instructions:
  1. Download: Superuser.zip
  2. Copy Superuser.zip to SD card
  3. Reboot into custom recovery mod
  4. Select "update from update.zip"
  5. Navigate to superuser.zip
  6. Flash
  7. Finished

Included components:
  • Superuser 3.1.3 (46)
  • SU binary 3.1.1 (17)
  • Busybox 1.20.2

Changelog:
  • Jul 21 2012: Updated instructions
  • Jul 20 2012: Superuser7 is now Superuser - Updated to Busybox 1.20.2
  • Release based on superuser (20712)
  • Release based on superuser (20703)
  • Release based on superuser (20629)
  • Jan 20 2012: Fixed installer binary (20120)
  • Release based on superuser (11228)
  • Release based on superuser (11216)
  • Release based on superuser (11001)

2char

Last edited:

daniel3334

Mar 11, 2011
I must be having a blonde moment. But how do I boot into cwm recovery w/o root already? I have cwm installed but of course I can't flash cwm recovery w/o root. And stock recovery of course won't let me upgrade with the too pkg. I appreciate any help in my obvious dumb ass moment here lol!

Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using xda premium

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
how do you have cwm installed if you cant flash it?

Put your device into fastboot mode and flash the correct CWM.

CWM 3.0 if you're on 2.2.x
CWM 4.0 if you're on 3.2

there are directions to flash each one on their respective pages (they're flashed in the same manner btw, just I wrote one guide and graffixnyc wrote the other one i believe)

Reactions: daniel3334

daniel3334

Mar 11, 2011
Oh ok I see. I was thinking flash thru recovery not Dearborn. Duh huh. Thx Nanni, much appreciated. And I meant I have cwm installed but no cwm recovery flashed yet.
Sent from my Dell Streak 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

Guyver96

Jul 31, 2010
sorry guys been at it since yesterday... can't find clockwork img file. Not to mention adb isnt working thru cmd prompt either. Any other method to root like ginger break?

shadowpunx

Jan 29, 2010
Wow, it took like 45 minutes to root my thunderbolt, once my streak comes in I'll be on this asap

You should have killed me, when you had the chance

benjiebench

Apr 20, 2011
i did everything but i use the clockworkmod 5 XXX something and install the superuser7.zip the only icon i got is the superuser but this 3 is not in there how come?

SU binary 3.0
Bash 4.1
Busybox 1.19.2

thank you

ExploreMN

Jun 23, 2007
Okay, I guess I don't get "Have Clockwork mod 4.0.1.4 installed" part. Don't you have to be rooted to get CWM installed? What am I missing?

Reactions: Twistedme

megabyte2365

Mar 25, 2011
In CWM 4 my External SD was seen, now that I installed 5 revB, it could not mount SD card. I moved superuser7 to internal and ran it, went through, but no root x4 times. Not sure if 5 is ready for prime time.

wolski

Aug 23, 2009
Okay, I guess I don't get "Have Clockwork mod 4.0.1.4 installed" part. Don't you have to be rooted to get CWM installed? What am I missing?
Did you get any solution for that Cach 22 problem? CWM must be installed to root your device but to install it your device must be fully rooted!!! It is like a question about what was first - egg or a chicken?

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
Finally got clockworkmod flashed, now
I keep getting "E:can't mount /sdcard/"
Was able to root from internal sdcard.

Last edited:

wolski

Aug 23, 2009
Every guide on web seize “to install CWM you must have your device rooted already” you are telling to root I must have CWM installed. What is I am not understanding?
Why you guys are making those guides understandable only for yourself or for guys they already know everything about the subject?

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Because you dont need to be rooted to install it, nowhere does it say you need to be rooted to install it.

wolski

Aug 23, 2009
Give me just one link to the CWM installation page which is not requesting previous rooting, please.

magicland

Jul 9, 2009
wolski, it isn't explained very well. You need to use fastboot to flash clockworkmod before the streak is rooted. This requires installing drivers which will support fastboot, and they DON'T install correctly the majority of the time under win7. You need to run around to several threads to figure out what you need to do.

Once you've got fastboot drivers installed and working (which may require the android SDK and/or Dell's PC suite), and downloaded the fastboot command, and downloaded the clockworkmod image, then you can boot the streak into fastboot mode (power and volume down), and use the command line to flash CWM to the streak. However, in my case (and others), CWM 5.0 won't recognize your SD card. I WAS able to copy the file to the internal SD, and install superuser7.zip from there.

If someone had actually taken the time to explain all of this, instead of acting like it's things you should already know, a lot of people could have saved a lot of time.

wolski

Aug 23, 2009
wolski, it isn't explained very well. You need to use fastboot to flash clockworkmod before the streak is rooted. This requires installing drivers which will support fastboot, and they DON'T install correctly the majority of the time under win7. You need to run around to several threads to figure out what you need to do.

Once you've got fastboot drivers installed and working (which may require the android SDK and/or Dell's PC suite), and downloaded the fastboot command, and downloaded the clockworkmod image, then you can boot the streak into fastboot mode (power and volume down), and use the command line to flash CWM to the streak. However, in my case (and others), CWM 5.0 won't recognize your SD card. I WAS able to copy the file to the internal SD, and install superuser7.zip from there.

If someone had actually taken the time to explain all of this, instead of acting like it's things you should already know, a lot of people could have saved a lot of time.
Thank you very much. That clears a lot. As i said before - most of those guys are making those so called guides for them self. It must be same kind of mental illness. TheManiak is a perfect example.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Announcement:
    Superuser7.zip is now Superuser.zip
    What was previously called Superuser.zip is renamed to Superuser-legacy.zip

The instructions and links below have been updated to reflect this.

Requirements:
    1. A custom recovery:
      • Clockwork Mod 6.0 (or newer)
      • Team Win Recovery Project 2.2 (or newer)

Install instructions:
    1. Download: Superuser.zip
    2. Copy Superuser.zip to SD card
    3. Reboot into custom recovery mod
    4. Select "update from update.zip"
    5. Navigate to superuser.zip
    6. Flash
    7. Finished

Included components:
    • Superuser 3.1.3 (46)
    • SU binary 3.1.1 (17)
    • Busybox 1.20.2

Changelog:
    • Jul 21 2012: Updated instructions
    • Jul 20 2012: Superuser7 is now Superuser - Updated to Busybox 1.20.2
    • Release based on superuser (20712)
    • Release based on superuser (20703)
    • Release based on superuser (20629)
    • Jan 20 2012: Fixed installer binary (20120)
    • Release based on superuser (11228)
    • Release based on superuser (11216)
    • Release based on superuser (11001)

2char

The new Superuser is now live:

Included changes:
    • Superuser7.zip renamed to Superuser.zip
    • Updated busybox to 1.20.2
    • Added support for the S10
    • Added support for the V

The old Superuser.zip has been renamed to Superuser-legacy.zip now.

The instructions in the OP have been updated to reflect all changes
    how do you have cwm installed if you cant flash it?

Put your device into fastboot mode and flash the correct CWM.

CWM 3.0 if you're on 2.2.x
    CWM 4.0 if you're on 3.2

there are directions to flash each one on their respective pages (they're flashed in the same manner btw, just I wrote one guide and graffixnyc wrote the other one i believe)