[TUT][ROOT] AT&T Wifi-Tethering Provision Bypass

Search This thread

ManniPanni

Dec 27, 2013
DISCLAIMER: This is my first thread on XDA, so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place/format/context/whatever. If I am, sorry.

For those of you with AT&T plans that don't include Tethering, I came across a simple way to bypass this with root and allow you to run the built in tethering instead of having to use FoxFi.

What you'll need:

Step 1:
Install Xposed Framework.
Once installed, launch Xposed Installer, go to Downloads and search for X Tether
Install X Tether, Activate the Module, and reboot.

Step 2:
Open Titanium Backup and find TetheringProvision 4.06.72
Press the App and select 'Freeze !'

Step 3:
Open Root Explorer and navigate to:
/system/app/
Now rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex
to TetheringProvision.apk.bak and TetheringProvision.odex.bak

Step 4:
Reboot, Set up Hotspot and Enjoy! :cool:

BTC: 1DuoTdxs6ZGgeWrMPCFERKMeBiBhf2Pk3

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-23-02-28-41.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-23-02-28-41.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 7,880
  • Screenshot_2014-06-23-02-26-39.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-23-02-26-39.png
    144 KB · Views: 7,737
  • Screenshot_2014-06-23-02-22-04.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-23-02-22-04.png
    208.1 KB · Views: 7,787
Last edited:

Trekboy

Oct 27, 2013
Tried this, when I attempt to activate the HotSpot it says "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

After following the updated instructions, my hotspot appears to be working. Thank you!

Last edited:

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
Yea, that looked too easy. Usually you would swap the tethering provision files with hacked ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

shortydoggg

Apr 11, 2011
I see you changed the instructions in the thread. That just renaming the file like you suggested earlier, well AT&T caught on to that, and now that doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: evdemiguel

ManniPanni

Dec 27, 2013
I see you changed the instructions in the thread. That just renaming the file like you suggested earlier, well AT&T caught on to that, and now that doesn't work anymore.

Hi shortydoggg,
You're right, I left out the most important part, the Xposed Module.
X Tether (or Moto Tether) is what actually clears out the array that stores the provision varification data (config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app)
Just running this module didn't work for me at first but after renaming the Tether Provisioning files it worked fine.
I also had trouble renaming the files until I froze the Tether Provisioning apk file.

I just ran another test and the built in wifi hotspot is still working great with my 3GB monthly plan.

speckledpig

Feb 7, 2007
Mobile, AL
Did this yesterday, worked fine. THANKS!

Also another grandfathered unlimited plan here; they provisioned the plan on my new GS5 but couldn't enable tethering. This solves that!! Awesome!!

KillswitchArmed

Jun 26, 2014
Wifi tether speed

I was able to allow mobile hot spot on my Att S5 using the S4 method of replacing the tetherprovision.apk, problem is the speed of the devices connected is terrible. Fine for checking email on one device but not for streaming netflix on multiple like I need. Anyone know of a way to change this? Is it some config file that is set purposely to limit tethered devices?

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
AT&T Note 3 on T-Mobile

It works great.

Question - will T-mobile know when I'm tethering? If so, is there a way... ? :)

Thanks

ManniPanni

Dec 27, 2013
It works great.

Question - will T-mobile know when I'm tethering? If so, is there a way... ? :)

Thanks

They shouldn't notice. I've been tethering on my s2 for years without any issues.
Some developers will say it is technically possible. If your concerned, a VPN service will hide all of your online habits from Tmobile.
I have a subscription through PrivateInternetAccess, I havent hand any issues with their app.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnarchoXen

elgrecoFL

May 6, 2014
It works!!! I'm also on the grandfathered unlimited plan!

Thanks!!

Post a bitcoin addy, you deserve a tip :D.

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
Note 3 AT&T on T-Mobile, never used hotspot before

A few questions -

1. Phone gets hot when hotspot is on. Is that normal?

2. Connection drops from time to time. IPv6 connectivity shows "no internet access", but then works without me doing anything. Is that T-Mobile's fault?

3. When I received a call the icon changed from LTE to 4g, but while hotspot is on and pc connected, the signal never changed back to LTE. Is that how it supposed to be? I have to turn hotspot off and on after every phone call to get LTE back? Or is that T-Mobile not being happy (I have not used the 3gb hotspot limit on my unlimited data plan)

Thanks

Last edited:

RSCTurner20

Jul 7, 2014
Hi, first off a major thanks to OP for posting an excellent tutorial on how to do this. I was really hoping to get tethering enabled on my grandfather unlimited data plan before vacation and am so excited to not have to pay $15 a day for WiFi.

I've been having a lot of lag with the phone lately. Its very slow to respond to typing, switching apps, and even waking and putting to sleep takes 5-10 seconds longer than normal. Any suggestions? I followed all of the directions to the letter and aside from this massive amount of lag, everything is perfect.

ManniPanni

Dec 27, 2013
Note 3 AT&T on T-Mobile, never used hotspot before

A few questions -

1. Phone gets hot when hotspot is on. Is that normal?

2. Connection drops from time to time. IPv6 connectivity shows "no internet access", but then works without me doing anything. Is that T-Mobile's fault?

3. When I received a call the icon changed from LTE to 4g, but while hotspot is on and pc connected, the signal never changed back to LTE. Is that how it supposed to be? I have to turn hotspot off and on after every phone call to get LTE back? Or is that T-Mobile not being happy (I have not used the 3gb hotspot limit on my unlimited data plan)

Thanks
Hey Nikon,

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on the subject can help out but here are my thoughts.

1. My s2 always got hot while tethering for long periods of time and my s5 seems to do the same as well.
This is normal and caused by the 4G antenna and WiFi antenna running simultaneously.

2. Perhaps IPv6 is not working but IPv4 is? I'm seeing the same thing on my AT&T connection.

3. I never had this issue. You might want to double check your APN settings, it could be a t-mobile thing but I really don't think they're targeting people who tether, it sounds more like the connection can't re-establish after connecting to a phone call.

Hi, first off a major thanks to OP for posting an excellent tutorial on how to do this. I was really hoping to get tethering enabled on my grandfather unlimited data plan before vacation and am so excited to not have to pay $15 a day for WiFi.

I've been having a lot of lag with the phone lately. Its very slow to respond to typing, switching apps, and even waking and putting to sleep takes 5-10 seconds longer than normal. Any suggestions? I followed all of the directions to the letter and aside from this massive amount of lag, everything is perfect.

Hey RSCTurner20,

I haven't notice any lag since doing this, does the lag go away if you turn off the X Tether Module and reboot?
edit: most likely cause and a quick fix: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2784945

Last edited:
Reactions: AnarchoXen

Nikon5400

Jun 22, 2011
that's right - if you get a call or access phone settings while client is connected phone cannot re-establish lte connection.

I know when you get a call (hotspot off) on Nexus 5 it takes anywhere from 15 seconds to up to 5 minutes to get lte back

Is there a way to force phone to refresh frequencies?

Reactions: SoCalHTCFuze

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER: This is my first thread on XDA, so hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place/format/context/whatever. If I am, sorry.

For those of you with AT&T plans that don't include Tethering, I came across a simple way to bypass this with root and allow you to run the built in tethering instead of having to use FoxFi.

What you'll need:

Step 1:
    Install Xposed Framework.
    Once installed, launch Xposed Installer, go to Downloads and search for X Tether
    Install X Tether, Activate the Module, and reboot.

Step 2:
    Open Titanium Backup and find TetheringProvision 4.06.72
    Press the App and select 'Freeze !'

Step 3:
    Open Root Explorer and navigate to:
    /system/app/
    Now rename TetheringProvision.apk and TetheringProvision.odex
    to TetheringProvision.apk.bak and TetheringProvision.odex.bak

Step 4:
    Reboot, Set up Hotspot and Enjoy! :cool:

BTC: 1DuoTdxs6ZGgeWrMPCFERKMeBiBhf2Pk3

Hi shortydoggg,
    You're right, I left out the most important part, the Xposed Module.
    X Tether (or Moto Tether) is what actually clears out the array that stores the provision varification data (config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app)
    Just running this module didn't work for me at first but after renaming the Tether Provisioning files it worked fine.
    I also had trouble renaming the files until I froze the Tether Provisioning apk file.

I just ran another test and the built in wifi hotspot is still working great with my 3GB monthly plan.
    How can I get the "Custom" logo off the boot screen?

I got it just by installing xposed.

Edit: I just desinstalled the xposed driver, restarted a few times and the logo went away, KNOX still 0x0

To remove the Custom lock icon, download the Wanam Xposed module.
    Once installed, activate and reboot and select Security Hacks > Check 'Fake System Status'
    This will hide the lock until you either uncheck this option or remove the modded files in the system folder.
    You don't need apps to freeze other apps. You can freeze using the package manager commands through terminal emulator. Su first then pm disable packagename