ReadItLater BROKEN on Flyer/Evo View?

Search This thread

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
As of the update to "Pocket" yesterday morning, all articles are showing as completely blank with no text. I've tried clearing all data, uninstalling, and changing font/display options but still no text shows at all.

Anyone else had this happen?? :confused::confused:

Last edited:

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Looks like it's specific to our device? :(

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...readitlater.pro&reviewId=12817764597540174948

April 17, 2012 (HTC Flyer with version 4.0)
Articles not showing
List of articles visible, but, page is empty when selecting an article to view. Was working before upgrading to new version. Please fix soon! Using HTC Flyer.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...readitlater.pro&reviewId=08556813013703572625

nakvic on April 17, 2012 (HTC Flyer with version 4.0)
Disappointed
It does not show any article neither as article nor as web view. Everything what I see - blank white screen. It looks like you use webView that somehow does not display anything. Very disappointed... Besides, it is now very slow.

n7of9

Mar 19, 2011
Sydney
RIL is now called POCKET in the play store...it has always worked for me

Last edited:

eastway11

Mar 24, 2011
Seoul
I have same problem. Pocket work well on my Desire, but not on Flyer... Articles are blank :(
What's the problem?

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA

xxxxxxxxxxam

Apr 21, 2012
Hey Paul,

This is the Android Dev for Pocket. I've gotten a couple reports about this issue specifically on the HTC Flyer. I have been scratching my brain trying to figure out what the problem could be. It is interesting that it is so limited to one particular device. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Flyer.

Can you send me a screen shot of what you are seeing? Are you able to switch to the Web View ok? Is it only blank for the Article View?

Best,
Max

(Note to others: If you have other issues/questions related to Pocket, please contact us at support@getpocket.com rather than messaging me directly. Thanks.)

soulseller

Sep 5, 2007
I have the exact same problem. Is there any way to down grade from pocket to RIL while they are trying to fix these issues?

Skickat från min HTC Flyer P510e via Tapatalk 2

Hey Paul,

This is the Android Dev for Pocket. I've gotten a couple reports about this issue specifically on the HTC Flyer. I have been scratching my brain trying to figure out what the problem could be. It is interesting that it is so limited to one particular device. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Flyer.

Can you send me a screen shot of what you are seeing? Are you able to switch to the Web View ok? Is it only blank for the Article View?

Best,
Max

(Note to others: If you have other issues/questions related to Pocket, please contact us at support@getpocket.com rather than messaging me directly. Thanks.)

Did you get a reply to this, xx? My Flyer pen is at the office right now, so it's a little difficult to take a screen shot but all elements of the page appear, icons an all, but there is simply no text or pictures to the article. It's completely blank. This happens in both Article and Web View. Will post a screen shot when I have a chance.

rydehard86

Jun 18, 2010
I have the same issue. It's driving me crazy. I love the app, but no text.

Sent from my Fresh Evo 4g

kardain

Mar 27, 2011
Did you get a reply to this, xx? My Flyer pen is at the office right now, so it's a little difficult to take a screen shot but all elements of the page appear, icons an all, but there is simply no text or pictures to the article. It's completely blank. This happens in both Article and Web View. Will post a screen shot when I have a chance.

For a screen shot, press the power button and home key at the same time. No pen needed.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Hey Paul,

Best,
Max

Sure! I'd be happy to help Max! Here is a screenshot of the main issue (notice it's completely blank):

3Ta39.jpg

-----

Switching to web view is blank as well:

WG7lL.jpg

-----

However, for web view, notice that the progress bar does appear and it does look like it's *loading* the webpage, but the text is still blank:

eTZO1.jpg
qawHx.jpg

-----

Switching to night theme has no effect, nor does changing font, font size, alignment, brightness or refreshing the article:

5MYTk.jpg

-----

Also, I noticed that the scroll bar is indeed there and moves around when scrolling through the article (see below, very faint on the right side).

So it looks like the article is certainly loading and you can scroll through it, but perhaps it's just white text on a white background. Maybe setting the font color to red or something will make it display?

zn61A.jpg

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thanks again Max, and thanks for joining the community at XDA!

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxam

Apr 21, 2012
Sure! I'd be happy to help Max! Here is a screenshot of the main issue

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Thanks again Max, and thanks for joining the community at XDA!

Thanks for all of that info Paul, that is incredibly helpful. If you don't mind I have a couple more questions.

1. If you long press somewhere on the page, does it activate the text selection mode? If it does, and you drag the handles, can you see text?
2. If you rotate the device a couple times does anything change or is it still blank?
3. If you open a link directly into the Web View (not Article View) first, does it appear correctly? (You can force this to happen by going into Settings and disable "Open Best View", then go open an article, switch it to the Web View, then back out of the article. Now when you open an article it should open into the Web View first.)
4. While in the Article View, if you toggle full screen mode, does anything change? (tap the center of the screen to toggle)

Thanks again!
Max

Hi Max

Just to let you know, fired up Pocket this morning and everything seems to be functioning perfectly - text is appearing as it should in both Article and Web View. Not sure what you did on your side to work the magic, but thank you. Wonderful to get response like that from a developer fr a relatively marginal device...

blannoy

Apr 24, 2012
Hi,

I've got the same problem (same device).
Sometimes I can read articles and sometimes the same articles show blank as well. I've had cases where there was a blank square over part of the text.

As for your questions
>1. If you long press somewhere on the page, does it activate the text
> selection mode? If it does, and you drag the handles, can you see text?

Long press activates selection but the handles are invisible. If I drag around at random and copy, then I can paste that invisible text into another app.

>2. If you rotate the device a couple times does anything change or is it still blank?

Doesn't change anything except that I've had a case where the text in the list view went blank. I've attached before and after rotation. When the list view had blank text also the settings screen had invisible text.
Sometimes in articles bullets are visible but no text.

>3. If you open a link directly into the Web View (not Article View) first, does it
>appear correctly? (You can force this to happen by going into Settings and
>disable "Open Best View", then go open an article, switch it to the Web View,
>then back out of the article. Now when you open an article it should open into
>the Web View first.)

No difference

> 4. While in the Article View, if you toggle full screen mode, does anything
> change? (tap the center of the screen to toggle)

Nope. Sometimes I get a full screen image that's the same as the preview image in list view but not always (even on the same item)

Bob

Attachments

• pocket_list_landscape.jpg
    pocket_list_landscape.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 46
  • pocket_list_portrait.jpg
    pocket_list_portrait.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 50

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for all of that info Paul, that is incredibly helpful. If you don't mind I have a couple more questions.

1. If you long press somewhere on the page, does it activate the text selection mode? If it does, and you drag the handles, can you see text?
2. If you rotate the device a couple times does anything change or is it still blank?
3. If you open a link directly into the Web View (not Article View) first, does it appear correctly? (You can force this to happen by going into Settings and disable "Open Best View", then go open an article, switch it to the Web View, then back out of the article. Now when you open an article it should open into the Web View first.)
4. While in the Article View, if you toggle full screen mode, does anything change? (tap the center of the screen to toggle)

Thanks again!
Max

1. Yes long pressing does activate text selection mode. However, the handles do not appear (screenshot below).

yLG7n.jpg

All the buttons do work, for example copying the text does indeed copy the invisible text to the clipboard; searching for the invisible selected text (even though not visible) does open the browser and search for the text etc. Same behavior in night mode.

Also note that tapping on an image (though seemingly invisible) does bring up the image in full screen mode (screenshot below).

myDya.jpg

-----

2 & 4. The text is still blank regardless of rotating the device or full screen mode, unfortunately.

DVCfo.jpg
u38WP.jpg

-----

3. The text is still blank when jumping to web view directly, although the background color does load.

6Ue55.jpg

-----

And here is my reading list (yes, ironically I added the "Pocket reinvents itself" article from The Verge to my reading list when I was testing the new app haha):

2wKNS.jpg

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Hi Max

Just to let you know, fired up Pocket this morning and everything seems to be functioning perfectly - text is appearing as it should in both Article and Web View. Not sure what you did on your side to work the magic, but thank you. Wonderful to get response like that from a developer fr a relatively marginal device...

That has happened to me too! Once yesterday and once today I loaded up the app and it was working perfectly. I came back later and back to blankness.

If it happens again, I'll try to figure out what conditions cause it to work perfectly.

xxxxxxxxxxam

Apr 21, 2012
Thanks everyone for your help and info. I'll be back with an update soon. Sorry about this bug, as I know it pretty much prevents you from using the app at all.

I'll get it tracked down as soon as I can.

Paul22000

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks everyone for your help and info. I'll be back with an update soon. Sorry about this bug, as I know it pretty much prevents you from using the app at all.

I'll get it tracked down as soon as I can.

Thanks for keeping up with this. It's great to see such support! I wish I could show you my device personally. Too bad San Fran isn't closer to LA (and too bad that Pocket isn't hiring hah!)

Top Liked Posts