Verizon update rolling out now: Build VS98012B

Search This thread

skylordusa1

Sep 15, 2010
I decided to start from square 1 and see how things went. Performed the verizon return to stock (the one with the tot file). Then I took the 2 OTA updates. I downloaded ioroot13 and tried to root, but it said I didn't have a supported version. I opened up the .bat file and found the verizon section and added a new line to direct performing the vzwotaroot for 12B (if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot). I crossed my fingers and ran it. It worked. I performed a root check and it passed. The phone said "ROOTED". I was able to modify system files. Haven't had much time to play around to make sure everything works fine, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

The one thing I am still working on is the custom recovery. The loki flash method does not seem to work. When I go to flash it tells me something like "Loki aboot version does not match device." I tried using flashify to flash the recovery but it seemed to prevent my device from booting so I did the whole thing over again. Might try flashify again but use the flash zip method instead.

Hey doublej,

Glad to hear root worked for you on the new OTA 12B. I would like to try what you did but just wanted to make sure I understand.
I got ioroot14 and looking at it I see.

PHP:
:VZWRoot
echo Found VZW phone!
echo.
echo Checking OTA version...
for /f %%i in ('.\adb.exe shell getprop ro.lge.swversion') do set OTAVER=%%i
if %OTAVER%==VS98010B GOTO VZWStockRoot
if %OTAVER%==VS98011A GOTO VZWOTARoot
GOTO VZWNoMatch

So all you did was change it to the below and save then run it and you were rooted?

PHP:
echo Found VZW phone!
echo.
if %OTAVER%==VS98012B GOTO VZWOTARoot
GOTO VZWNoMatch

Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thank you.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I posted something along this line a page or two back. The IORoot method works, you just have to modify the .bat file. You need to add a line that will execute the root when it checks the version. Look for my post and I quote the line that needs to be added. Worked for me and I have been able to modify system files (like putting in the modified hot spot provisions). I download ioroot13.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Hey yup just saw your other post and replied to it above. Take a look and let me know if that looks ok. That is exactly what I want is the tether bypass hahaah.

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
Hey doublej,

Glad to hear root worked for you on the new OTA 12B. I would like to try what you did but just wanted to make sure I understand.

PHP:
echo Found VZW phone!
echo.
GOTO VZWNoMatch

So all you did was change it to the below and save then run it and you were rooted?

PHP:
echo Found VZW phone!
echo.
GOTO VZWNoMatch

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

Hey yup just saw your other post and replied to it above. Take a look and let me know if that looks ok. That is exactly what I want is the tether bypass hahaah.

That is exactly what I did. Took the chance and it paid off. Good luck.

NateK

Sep 7, 2012
@skylordusa1 Your phone came with this latest 12B installed from when you took it out of the box? That has me nervous since my phone is due to arrive from VZW on Monday or Tuesday. If I can't Loki the bootloader, I'll probably end up returning it...

skylordusa1

Sep 15, 2010
@skylordusa1 Your phone came with this latest 12B installed from when you took it out of the box? That has me nervous since my phone is due to arrive from VZW on Monday or Tuesday. If I can't Loki the bootloader, I'll probably end up returning it...

Na not out of the box. The verizon rep updated when he was hooking it up. I thought it was only updating to the last OTA that was already out and rooted. I was not aware a new OTA came out the same day hahaahhah. Should have checked online first so I could have told him dont accept the update hahaha. But the root still works for it I just made the changes that doublej mentioned.

Since yours is being delivered you should still be on the older OTA.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Thanks doublej. Those changes worked. Great Job. Now I just hope someone figures out the recoveries for this new OTA and I will be all set.

doublej713

Jun 24, 2012
Verizon LG V10
LG V20
Thanks doublej. Those changes worked. Great Job. Now I just hope someone figures out the recoveries for this new OTA and I will be all set.[/QUOTE said:
Me too. I was able to figure out how to manually install the LG browser that works with qslide, but the split view mod seems a little more complicated to pull off manually.

skylordusa1

Sep 15, 2010
So what do you guys who are on stock with just root do about the bloatware? Do you guys just freeze the apps with TB pro or do you actually uninstall the apps to regain that storage space? I dont have TB pro so wanted to see if just uninstalling them is fine.

vlakamalaka

Apr 21, 2013
Got Er :0x1117008 with stock recovery. No hotspot mod; only have trickster mod, Xposed framework and installed stock LG browser to work with Qslide. Wonder if any of those have anything to do with the error. Probably just have to wait for a flashable zip.

BufordT79

Sep 17, 2013
I was looping into TWRP after installing the OTA without reverting to stock recovery. I decided to just bite the bullet and go totally back to stock. I downloaded and installed the 2 OTAs again, then rooted using ioroot14 with the edit for the 12B Windows .bat file noted above by doublej713. Next I copied the hotspot provision file to the appropriate place and renamed the original apk and .odex files. Now whenever I try to start Wi-Fi hotspot, Settings closes on me and reopens. Does anyone think the new OTA patched our ability go around Verizon?

#*#*#UPDATE#*#*#

Silly me, I just realized I had frozen Mobile Hotspot in TiBu. A quick nuke in the microwave and all is well.

Last edited:

dplane

Apr 30, 2012
Motor City
Got Er :0x1117008 with stock recovery. No hotspot mod; only have trickster mod, Xposed framework and installed stock LG browser to work with Qslide. Wonder if any of those have anything to do with the error. Probably just have to wait for a flashable zip.

ditto, same error here.

Too lazy and scared to mess around w going back to stock and re-rooting etc.

AirDiamond

May 31, 2011

Same thing here. I had the Wi-Fi mod apk but I replaced it with the original. No go after several attempts.

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I had to flash back to stock using the flasher tool. I JUST rooted then did the final OTA. Still rooted afterwards. I've heard that TWRP doesn't work on the new OTA and the TWRP maintainer sold his G2.

I'm OK with just root.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

NateK

Sep 7, 2012
Sounds like there may be a working CWM coming for 12B. I think those will 12B will be alright based on what I've been hearing, but time will tell.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
I've noticed the new update now includes a solid black nav bar theme. So there is solid white, white gradient, solid black, black gradient, and pink.

Sent from my VS980 4G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Kaiken

Dec 8, 2010
To whom it may concern. I was rooted only but changed wifi provisions and installed the stock LG Browser (Verizon BTW). I had to bring all files back to stock with both of those as I was getting errors also. Update going smoothly now!

Ascertion

Mar 29, 2012
To those that have the new baseband - can you notice an increase in LTE performance?

reocej

Mar 14, 2009
12B changelog

Anybody see this?

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2013-12-19-at-4.07.53-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2013-12-19-at-4.07.53-PM.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 413

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finially

Well apparently I'm finally able to flash 4.4.2 roms while in 12b. This is what I did and after I successfully installed 4.4.2 and booted. I completely redid the whole process to make sure it really works also.

from stock 10b, updated to 11a, then to 12b. rooted using ioroot15.zip. switched from Superuser to SuperSU. installed freegee from the play store. flashed twrp 2.6.3.3 which after booting into twrp lists 2.6.3.0 (but it must indeed be 2.6.3.3 if it flashes 4.4.2 roms.) booted into twrp wiped Dalvik Cache, data, cache. (I did NOT wipe system) I usually do but I didn't this time. Wiped dalvik cache, data, cache, Three times then flashed my favorite 4.4.2 rom cm-11-20131224-UNOFFICIAL-vs980 which has gapps already included. twrp installed the rom and gapps then I rebooted and it worked. Good luck Thanks for the Great work Dev. Will definitely support. Thanks again especially BreakingVZW and Shelnutt and the whole xda developer community.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year !!!!!!
    Downloaded the update tonight. Noticed a few more things not mentioned in the change log:

-New Biz theme (pretty sure there was just the two themes before: Basic and Marshmallow)

-File Manager is now a QSlide app

-Black is now an option as the home button background

-Text Link guide in the messaging app

-New analog clock widgets (don't recall seeing these before anyways)

-Camera app quick settings seem like they are a little different

Sent from my VS980 4G using xda app-developers app
    Where does it DL to on the phone??

cache/fota

Hey doublej,

PHP:
    echo Found VZW phone!
    echo.
    GOTO VZWNoMatch

PHP:
    echo Found VZW phone!
    echo.
    GOTO VZWNoMatch

I pulled down the update, scheduled install for later, then moved all the files,to a dummy folder on my sdcard and froze the updater. File itself is 173M & it's a .bin so if someone wants to take a look shoot me a pm