[ROOT] EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 Root Tutorial

Search This thread

alexkruyer

Apr 10, 2010
mine sais, (communication with phone unexpectedly interrupted. try again. press almost any key to exit. ) this is after tried it 3 times and generated key twice. and copy pasted it. when the phone is booting into fastboot the S is still on and in in a stiddle as to what to try next any smart person got ideas.

OK reboot different cable fixed it so not sure which but got S OFF woooopeeeeee

Last edited:

evilecho

Dec 30, 2005
mine sais, (communication with phone unexpectedly interrupted. try again. press almost any key to exit. ) this is after tried it 3 times and generated key twice. and copy pasted it. when the phone is booting into fastboot the S is still on and in in a stiddle as to what to try next any smart person got ideas.

try rebooting your pc

also try a different cable

just ideas

rcijamal

Aug 3, 2011
Brooklyn, New York
this is what im getting when running the exe file ....

=============================================
| Revolutionary S-OFF & Recovery Tool 0.4pre3 |
Brought to you by AlphaRev & unrEVOked.

Waiting for device...
Found your device: PC36100 (supersonic-2.16.0001, Android: 2.3.3, ROM version: 4
.24.651.1)

This is a beta release and requires a beta release key.
Please visit: http://revolutionary.io for more information.

Enter beta key [ serial: HT11LHL12158 ]: Adrey6x84hYjWBIe
Beta key accepted - thank you for participating!

Root acquired!
Sending in Caroline...
Retrieving Caroline from certain doom...
Retrying Caroline...
Caroline failed, but had this to say: An error occurred while writing the partit
ion.
Errors (if any):-
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00020000
mtd: not writing bad block at 0x00060000
Press (almost) any key to exit.

evilecho

Dec 30, 2005
| Revolutionary S-OFF & Recovery Tool 0.4pre3 |
Brought to you by AlphaRev & unrEVOked.

Waiting for device...
Found your device: PC36100 (supersonic-2.16.0001, Android: 2.3.3, ROM version: 4
.24.651.1)

This is a beta release and requires a beta release key.
Please visit: http://revolutionary.io for more information.

Enter beta key [ serial: HT11LHL12158 ]: Adrey6x84hYjWBIe
Beta key accepted - thank you for participating!

Root acquired!
Sending in Caroline...
Retrieving Caroline from certain doom...
Retrying Caroline...
Caroline failed, but had this to say: An error occurred while writing the partit
ion.
Errors (if any):-
Press (almost) any key to exit.

Make sure you have usb debugging enabled

and try another usb port

scottspa74

Apr 3, 2009
everett
Google Pixel 6
Awesome!!!! 3min before this was posted, i was explaining to someone there was no root for ota yet. ;)

I still have launch day evolution rooted, but have been terrified if it ever broke. So i wanna make sure i understand this method.

2 questions :
Can't one download the files using evo and put them on pc, and recovery on sd (i have no internet on my pc - just tether) and run file without internet connection.

Also, i Dont see adb listed in tutorial. Do you need to use adb, or just double-click revolution.exe?

I rooted my evolution using toasts old method, but with terminal emulator (never learned adb)

Thanks in advance.

And ....woohoo!!!!!Fnhoooooo!!!!!!! ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

justen7723

Apr 3, 2011
toledo
Ok. i used Unrevoked before, so I'm familiar with the process.....except for flashing a recovery.

Where would I find that, and how exactly would I do it?
this worked perfect for me, officially rooted again! first try, th beta key is case sensitive if that helps you at all. BUT YES THIS DOES WORK!!!!!!! FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE "T" AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE. I did the ota update that was pushed to all the evos not knowing that i couldnt root after that now ill probably start to use it again instead of my epic.

evilecho

Dec 30, 2005
Awesome!!!! 3min before this was posted, i was explaining to someone there was no root for ota yet. ;)

I still have launch day evolution rooted, but have been terrified if it ever broke. So i wanna make sure i understand this method.

2 questions :
Can't one download the files using evo and put them on pc, and recovery on sd (i have no internet on my pc - just tether) and run file without internet connection.

Also, i Dont see adb listed in tutorial. Do you need to use adb, or just double-click revolution.exe?

I rooted my evolution using toasts old method, but with terminal emulator (never learned adb)

Thanks in advance.

And ....woohoo!!!!!Fnhoooooo!!!!!!! ;)

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

You do not need to know adb however you need to have internet connection

mattchew86

Jul 1, 2008
Ohio
this worked perfect for me, officially rooted again! first try, th beta key is case sensitive if that helps you at all. BUT YES THIS DOES WORK!!!!!!! FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE "T" AND YOU SHOULD BE FINE. I did the ota update that was pushed to all the evos not knowing that i couldnt root after that now ill probably start to use it again instead of my epic.

Ok. Still here....ran the tool about 3 or 4 more times since the last post....rebooted my PC....reinstalled my drivers...redownloaded the tool.....and it's still on "waiting for fastboot".

Had no problems putting in the beta key. Did not fully understand how to flash a recovery, but thanks to evilecho, it makes sense.

So, I have followed the instructions, step-by-step, in order, and still come to the same result that I have been getting for the past hour now.

I apologize. Mildly irritated. :(

zemerick

Nov 9, 2009
www.emerickcc.com
broke

After I backed up and flashed different rom, everytime I reboot I go into Fastboot? I can get into recovery from there. . but again, after I reboot it auto goes into fastboot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is a quick step by step on rooting the EVO 4G Gingerbread 2.3 with Hboot 2.16
    Step One: Download SuperUser zip & copy to your root of SDcard
    Step Two: Download and install HTC Drivers
    Step Three: Download Revolutionary: S-OFF & Recovery Tool (Note the download link is at the bottom of the page. You will need to enter your EVO’s Serial number which is located under the battery. Make sure you to copy/write down the beta key. You will need it later)
    Step Four: Enable USB debugging mode & fastboot on phone (To enable USB debugging go to Setting – Applications – Development – check box for USB debugging) (To enable fastboot go to Setting – Power – check box for Fast Boot)
    Step Five: Connect you phone to you PC - Select USB Charging
    Step Six: Unzip Revolutionary tool and run it as admin (to run as admin, right click and select run as admin) (make sure you install recovery image when asked) (Note after the tool is complete you may be left in fastboot mode, this may happen if recovery doesn't flash or something goes wrong with flashing the recovery. If this happens just select bootloader then select recovery to see if you are able to boot into recovery. If you are not able to boot into recovery or it hangs try flashing AmonRA Recovery from bootloader.)
    Step Seven: Boot into recovery
    Step Eight: Flash SuperUser and reboot your device.

Congrats you are now rooted with S-OFF!!

FAQS

Q: When I run Revolutionary tool it just sits at "waiting for device".
    A: Make sure you have HTC SYNC Closed and or Removed in order for this to work - Thanks @smallba

Q: I'm stuck at "zerging root" nothing seems to work.
    A: Again make sure you un-install HTC sync and turn off your antivirus and/or firewall

Q: I keep getting invalid key. What am i doing wrong?
    A: The beta key is case sensitive so make sure you get it right, try to copying the key into notepad to verify the characters. The Revolutionary tool will give you your device serial number, verify you entered the correct SN. If you are still having issues try regenerating the beta key. If all fails try re-downloading the tool.

Q: I'm having issues flashing anything from recovery.
    A: If you are having issues flashing/loading new roms try updating ClockworkMod Recovery from market via rom manger or flash AmonRA that seems to fix it

Q: How do I flash AmonRa Recovery in bootloader mode.
    A: Download AmonRa Recovery PC36IMG.zip to the root of your sd card. Boot the phone into the bootloader by powering the phone down, then press the power and the volume down buttons at the same time.Once the phone boots into the bootloader the phone will automatically recognize the zip file. It will ask if you would like to update, select yes and let it do it's thing and you will be good to go.
    (Thanks @Amon_RA)

Q: Will this wipe my device?
    A: No if you follow all the steps this will get you S-OFF, Custom recovery & Root.

Q: Will this work on the Japanese EVO is at HBOOT 2.15.001
    A: YES - However if you have HBOOT 2.16.970.1 or higher you will need to downgrade. Thanks @SharpIS03

Q: Is it possible to get root from a mac
    A: Yes via Linux VM. (Confirmed by @jd567890)

Q: Is it possible to restore everything to stock?
    A: It is possible and has been confirmed (Thanks @jcallaway77). You can try downloading the PC36IMG file below rename it to PC36IMG and flash from bootloader.
    Flash From Bootloader
    PC36IMG_SuperSonic_GB_Sprint_WWE_4.24.651.1_Radio_ 2.15.00.05.02_NV_2.15_release_199233_signed
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VSFLE9CD
    http://www.fileserve.com/file/3rVYVfd
    MD5 Checksum: 621DCC2F866EC4DDB548AC9466C1D356
    SHA-1 Checksum: 960EBC5F96D8DF805BD5D1A472BDCAED1E407034

Latest Stock Update Thanks @NinjaWolf

Thanks & Credits (feel free to make donations to them at their sites)

Revolutionary was brought to you by (in no particular order): Eric Smaxwill • Ryan Pearl • The mysterious 0xf4b • Matthew Fogle • Kenny Millington • Sen Verbrugge • Michael Sullivan • Matt Mastracci • Koush Dutta • Joshua Wise • Adam Glasgall

Shout out to everyone in the exploit community (in no particular order):

As always, this will void your warranty and may possibly damage your phone. You and you alone are responsible for anything that you do. Everything contained in this thread is for informational purposes only.
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the help & information. I'll try to put something together for this. It'll either be a how to or a how not-to. :D
    Looks like someone beat you to it: [Revised] Rooting Gingerbread 2.3.5 Dummies Guide

There's a Tacoroot section in there that gives you a step by step of how to do it.
    Ok. i used Unrevoked before, so I'm familiar with the process.....except for flashing a recovery.

it will promt automaticaly if u want to download it after revo finish with s-off

Same here beta key code I entered was invalid. Help please!! Lol

Probably a miss type , if u have o or 0 or I i or l (L) , the font can confuse u , it happened to me
    Had my Evo rooted in 5 minutes and am now running CM7 again!

Its funny how 90% of the problems people are having in this thread are due to failure to follow directions and/or poor computer/Windows skills. Probably not your scene if you can't do the basics. :D

The tool will ask you if you want to download a recovery image. just make sure you have internet connection and hit "y & enter"