[DEV][THE S-OFF CAMPAIGN] We need electrical engineers & experts in JTAG, OpenOCD!

Search This thread

*se-nsei.

Sep 28, 2011
London
[DEV][THE S-OFF CAMPAIGN] We need electrical engineers & experts in JTAG, OpenOCD!

DEVELOPERS!

THIS CAMPAIGN IS STILL GOING!

Please try to read the latest posts in this thread if you would like to help!

---

S-OFF is still needed! Don't get happy with your HTC unlocked bootloaders, you have no more warranty! You still can't resizie your system partitions! You still can't flash the hboot, and many other things! You can get your warranty back, if we crack S-OFF!!

Progress so far:

Well I basically did a lot of of low-level (mostly hardware) stuff to the phone recently, not so much actual development. I found out how to configure OpenOCD (don't know whether the configuration is any good, since lots of values are more "good guesses" than actual knowledge but at least it's a starting point). I found how to get the board to boot without being attached to the Lithium cell which is not important for getting JTAG access (because this works as long as the board has power supply, being booted is not neccessary for JTAG to work) but will later be needed for tracing through the boot code, since the phone won't boot without what it thinks is a Lithium cell. :D However, I didn't get the debugger running yet. I suspect that the processor's logic level might be too low for the JTAG equipment. I don't really have an idea how to work around that yet, I might need to build a circuit that boosts the processor's JTAG signal to the appropriate voltage level (a so-called "level-shifter").

Apart from that munjeni and Antagonist42 also seem to make progress, but I must admit that I wasn't really able to keep track of all the things that they were doing recently. So basically we're now down at the actual physical layer and messing around with the electrical stuff that's going on on the phone's board and trying to find a way of actually talking to the processor to get the on-chip debugging working. :D

The far goal will be getting a patched HBOOT that has signature verification removed loaded into the device's memory via JTAG, then flash a patched HBOOT image via Fastboot. If this works it will be the first S-OFF GSM WFS that's neither shipped S-OFF nor turned S-OFF via xtc-clip, but this might still be a long long way.

Last edited:
W

Wolf Pup

There are two Wildfire S's:

1. CDMA - A510c
2. the neglected device most of us own - A510e :mad:

The CDMA version has been cracked and so has the Virgin model (hasn't got a SIM card slot). People have come very close but always fail and no one knows why.

Hmmmmm. So CDMA and Virgin (Slotless). This concludes that S-OFF is related to your phones network functionality. Perhaps, changing the network mode to CDMA might give us the ability to S-OFF our phones. Perhaps someone with an XTC-Clip could reverse-engineer it. Maybe JTAG.

Last edited:

ash_01

Jul 8, 2011
mumbai
Can one of the moderators(or if someone who knows any moderator ask them to)PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post this on Xda-Portal.
Hopefully that will attract more experienced developers and a faster development time.
And while we are at it we can also ask or BEG :eek: Team Revolutionary to start their WFS project again to help us out.

aparici

Oct 22, 2010
Castellon
Can one of the moderators(or if someone who knows any moderator ask them to)PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post this on Xda-Portal.
Hopefully that will attract more experienced developers and a faster development time.
And while we are at it we can also ask or BEG :eek: Team Revolutionary to start their WFS project again to help us out.

Yes, someone has to send this post to revolutionary, but please don't spam him or they with leave our wildfire s without s-off.

infected85

Jul 11, 2011
Skopje
Done. I hope they will put it on the portal and that this will help us get more attention from the devs and revolutionary.

xtlx69

Dec 1, 2011
Lets keep fingers crossed we need s off its not fair being unable to use custom roms.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using XDA App

Catnap

Sep 24, 2010
Saw this on the frontpage.

+1 to the cause- my wife has one of these and it infuriates me that I can't root it like my Sensation.

all43

May 27, 2010
Fingers crossed here, my daughter needs more space for all games she grabs from the market, and only then can I remove her games from my rooted desire! Lol

Top Liked Posts