Search This thread

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Suggestions/Alternatives

*Change 10 post to x number of thanks - Pros : It would take longer for users to gain access to development forums. - Cons : Users will beg for thanks more and possibly spam thanks to help each other gain access.

*Complete a quiz during registration - Pros : Could possibly reduce the number of people allowed in development forums. - Cons : Too hard because different people have different levels of knowledge + couldn't be multiple choice because too easy to get around.

*Let OPs of dev threads delete posts - Pros : Cut down on the useless posts. - Cons : Won't happen because only mods/admins will have ability to delete posts. Devs could show favouritism + take too much of the devs time to delete posts.

*Review posts before they appear in development - Pros : If possible, no crap would appear in dev threads. - Cons : Not possible because of the massive workload on the manpower of the mods.

*Deny access to Off-topic until user has 10 posts - Pros : Stops a lot of people posting there to get to 10 posts. - Cons : Users will be more likely to spam in the device forums instead.

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Alternative to 10 post rule :)

I'm creating this thread as a place to centralize all alternative ideas to the 10 post rule.

Obviously, a lot of different suggestions have been made over the time and we've been told that the admins won't change the rule unless a better solution can be proven to work.

So if you have any suggestions as to what could be used instead of needing 10 posts to post in development, then post your idea in here.

*If you're not sure why there is a limit to post in development, read the following thread - Postcount limit in developmental fora

*If you want to moan about the rule, don't post it anywhere on this site as we've heard it all before.

*Need to help someone in a development thread? Or give developer a logcat? Private Message them. It exists :eek:

*If you have less than 10 posts, don't post here UNLESS you are suggesting a different alternative.

*NOTE* As mods, senior mods and admins may be checking in here, don't use this thread to try and gain your first 10 posts because your comment will most likely be deleted.

Last edited:

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
While this is a great idea, the thread will be bombarded by those that want to raise their post count ;) The larger issue wouild be with the spam to 10ers. The present method found by most new users.

Last edited:
Reactions: rockerbalaji

neectron

Dec 26, 2011
Really>?
Only problem w 5 thanks is that not everyone hits the thanks button.

So it will take some time to get permission to post in development section.In that time,we can hope they will get some perspective of xda-developers.

There is one huge drawback,that they might post some clever/funny things and get a lot of thanks for those posts.
So they can score 1 post and 10 thanks ->get permission to post in development section.:/

Last edited:

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
While this is a great idea, the thread will be bombarded by those that want to raise their post count ;) The larger issue wouild be with the spam to 10ers. The present method found by most new users.
Most likely but we'll just report and move on :p
Only problem w 5 thanks is that not everyone hits the thanks button.
This is true. I think for a thanks count to work, people would need to be further educated about using the features available around this site. But at that point, would a limit oh development really be needed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ronnie498

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 22, 2010
Most likely but we'll just report and move on :p

This is true. I think for a thanks count to work, people would need to be further educated about using the features available around this site. But at that point, would a limit oh development really be needed?

On the flip side you would have 10 thankers, just the opposite of a 10 posters that posting useless things

Reactions: e.coyote

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
On the flip side you would have 10 thankers, just the opposite of a 10 posters that posting useless things
I don't think that would happen to be honest. The only time we really see anything like that is when puppy accounts are thanking a main account. But then the accounts get banned anyway because of breaking the rules.

Reactions: RUUMan

TonyStark R.I.P.

May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
So it will take some time to get entry to development section.In that time,we can hope they will get some perspective of xda-developers.
No, they will have access, they simply can not post there until they reach the required min.

I'm not sure why this always tends to be an issue... I have always been one to send people to Q&A anyway. Q&A DOES NOT STAND for Quips and Assumptions:eek:

Last edited:

prboy1969

May 7, 2009
Michigan
I was thinking something more along the lines of an open book type mini test. Have a Thread / Post with important information about being a forum member, the rules, and basic guidelines. Make it a requirement that they read said Post / Thread before posting in the development section. Then must answer 10 questions. Make the questions random, and revolving. So even if you have two people trying it next to each other, they will be different tests. But make sure the answers to the questions are in the Thread / Post. Also to keep it interesting make them have to use the search function ( which would be rigged to lead them back to the Post / Thread ) to answer at least half of the questions. Anyways just a thought.

TEAM MiK
MikROMs Since 3/13/11

Product F(RED)

Sep 6, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I still don't understand why a new member absolutely needs post in a development thread.

- If there's a bug in a ROM/Kernel/Mod/etc, PM the developer. They're not going to sift through hundreds of pages to find your post.

- If you are a developer, help people in any other section of the site. It should be easy for you, since you are a developer.

- If you have a question, post in Q&A.

- If you want to say thanks, hit the Thanks button in the OP of the developer's thread.

It's really not a huge deal to get 10 posts. I don't know why people are complaining. Introduce yourself, post a screenshot of your homescreen, talk about your favorite device, show off your accessories, post in Offtopic. Do SOMETHING.

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
Ok folks, just to let you know, I have subscribed to this thread and will be looking with interest at any ideas posted. I will reply to the more serious suggestions and I will delete posts by those wishing to boost their post count

Ta

Rick

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

ramnex

Nov 22, 2012
I believe that we should do away with the ten post rule, since as earlier mentioned it is a piece of cake to reach ten posts.
Instead I propose a few alternatives, working on what has already been suggested:

1. Before allowing posts, ask the member a question about that topic itself, not just to check their overall developer knowledge.

2. Look for the number of helpful threads they have created AND have got positive feedback, not just their posts on other threads

3. Check for the spread of thanks,
i.e. differentiating a person with 100 likes from one funny post from someone with 2 likes or so over several posts.

This way we can judge a person's overall helpfulness to the community and whether they have something useful to contribute

Sent from my GT-I9100
If I helped you, please hit the thanks button!

TonyStark R.I.P.

May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
I believe that we should do away with the ten post rule, since as earlier mentioned it is a piece of cake to reach ten posts.
Instead I propose a few alternatives, working on what has already been suggested:

1. Before allowing posts, ask the member a question about that topic itself, not just to check their overall developer knowledge.

2. Look for the number of helpful threads they have created AND have got positive feedback, not just their posts on other threads

3. Check for the spread of thanks,
i.e. differentiating a person with 100 likes from one funny post from someone with 2 likes or so over several posts.

This way we can judge a person's overall helpfulness to the community and whether they have something useful to contribute

Sent from my GT-I9100
If I helped you, please hit the thanks button!
Hmm tough this is tough. 1. I came to XDA w/ 0 developer knowledge. Still know very little. However I tend to use Q&A untill I feel comfortable enough to post in Development

2. My first helpful thread didn't come until I was here, well over a year.

Points are good, but as I've shown, many people are different.

Reactions: e.coyote

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
There is one huge drawback,that they might post some clever/funny things and get a lot of thanks for those posts.
So they can score 1 post and 10 thanks -> entry to development section.:/
I don't think this as a drawback...

Because, usually those who do use thanks button are educated enough or members with atleast 30 or more who knows that they are new users who are trying to be funny to get thanks..(this thinking comes if you have thanks count as restrictions for Dev section)

Also , the new user was able to get enough thanks(say ,10 thanks) from very less posts.. that would suggest he is clever enough to get it... so, it would also mean that the user is clever enough how to post in development section? I mean, if you know enough to get thanks from community which has been here all the time..

The drawbacks I see in this method are, 1. People already ask for thanks.. it would get into a point where people may beg for thanks and such threads may also appear as they used to appear in OT before thanks was taken down..

2. Also, puppy account count may rise, even though it will be taken down.. more work for admins thus..

3. I feel the complaints from new users will be more if this is the case.. as no one can't reach 10 thanks that easily... I mean I feel it would be atleast 20 posts for an avg user to get 10 thanks.. so, more whining..

I don't have a better answer as solution though.. but thanks limit could be really better than the 10 post rule IMO.. because this way the one word posters to get to 10 posts will be eliminated.. as well as spammers who try to get 10 posts as well.. all those link posting ban until 10 posts and other rules can be applied on this too.. so I feel this might be more efficient in keeping people from spamming... and inexperienced users will get enough idea and knowledge to post in development section instead of making a fool of themselves and getting flamed by others or something.. well, that's just my thoughts..

ronnie498

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 22, 2010
I don't think that would happen to be honest. The only time we really see anything like that is when puppy accounts are thanking a main account. But then the accounts get banned anyway because of breaking the rules.

True but there are those that would try to work around it as you said, if there was a way around that then it is very possible that the thank count could work along with the post count that xxlordxx mentioned.

Fallen Spartan

Moderator Emeritus- Irish Pride, Spartan Legacy
You have to remember, it simply isn't possible for us mods to read each post and approve it before it's allowed in Dev threads. Baring in mind we have 40k users per day and 2-3k new users per day

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think! XDA, mobile wisdom, not a n00b feeding ground!!

ronnie498

Retired Senior Moderator
Sep 22, 2010
You have to remember, it simply isn't possible for us mods to read each post and approve it before it's allowed in Dev threads. Baring in mind we have 40k users per day and 2-3k new users per day

So very true

justmpm

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 22, 2010
Jumpston Junction
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suggestions/Alternatives

*Change 10 post to x number of thanks - Pros : It would take longer for users to gain access to development forums. - Cons : Users will beg for thanks more and possibly spam thanks to help each other gain access.

*Complete a quiz during registration - Pros : Could possibly reduce the number of people allowed in development forums. - Cons : Too hard because different people have different levels of knowledge + couldn't be multiple choice because too easy to get around.

*Let OPs of dev threads delete posts - Pros : Cut down on the useless posts. - Cons : Won't happen because only mods/admins will have ability to delete posts. Devs could show favouritism + take too much of the devs time to delete posts.

*Review posts before they appear in development - Pros : If possible, no crap would appear in dev threads. - Cons : Not possible because of the massive workload on the manpower of the mods.

*Deny access to Off-topic until user has 10 posts - Pros : Stops a lot of people posting there to get to 10 posts. - Cons : Users will be more likely to spam in the device forums instead.

Alternative to 10 post rule :)

I'm creating this thread as a place to centralize all alternative ideas to the 10 post rule.

Obviously, a lot of different suggestions have been made over the time and we've been told that the admins won't change the rule unless a better solution can be proven to work.

So if you have any suggestions as to what could be used instead of needing 10 posts to post in development, then post your idea in here.

*If you're not sure why there is a limit to post in development, read the following thread - Postcount limit in developmental fora

*If you want to moan about the rule, don't post it anywhere on this site as we've heard it all before.

*Need to help someone in a development thread? Or give developer a logcat? Private Message them. It exists :eek:

*If you have less than 10 posts, don't post here UNLESS you are suggesting a different alternative.

*NOTE* As mods, senior mods and admins may be checking in here, don't use this thread to try and gain your first 10 posts because your comment will most likely be deleted.
    Ok folks, just to let you know, I have subscribed to this thread and will be looking with interest at any ideas posted. I will reply to the more serious suggestions and I will delete posts by those wishing to boost their post count

Ta

Rick

Why are you even asking what answer it was when you've already said that you're going through my post history? Find out for yourself. And stop going off topic!!!!! Stop spamming dude!!!

Nice, you just earned yourself an infraction.....please, carry on
    JJJAGUAR said:
    The truth is that this rule is frustrating. Many want to ask something urgently, and the post 10 post of spam (be realistic) does not prove that we know what we are talking about. It is especially annoying to those who do not speak English as their first language.:rolleyes:

This part of your statement is the problem with most new members.

"Many want to ask something urgently"

The development forums are NOT supposed to be used to "ask" things that is why we have questions and answers/help sub forums (that new members with less then 10 posts can post in)for just about every device.

New members have this idea that they will get a better/faster answer if they ask in the development section which just shows the sense of entitlement that most new members have when they join xda. Instead of taking the time to do some research and see if they can find the answer to their question since 9 times out of 10 it has already been asked and answered they want to jump right into the dev section to post their all important question that doesn't belong there in the first place.

Development is just for that development, members who can post logcats and help with bugs, not to ask questions.

Senior Moderator