[Tutorial] How to recover SDcard using HD7

Search This thread

boysie

Mar 19, 2007
Hi All,

It took me a while but finally I unlocked my 32GB SD card after using it in my HD7 to upgrade it to 32GB, in my case the card proved to be un usable.

Requirements:
1• DFT HSPL/RSPL
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1195647

Tools you need:

WP7 Update Cab Sender:

download link:

DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab

Download Link:

Download the following ROM
[ROM]XBmod HD7 V 1.01 Build 7720 [25/09] with Custom Cab
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1276490

Steps:

1) Boot phone with VOL- Pressed
2) Flash XBmod rom, HARD reset using Vol- and Vol+ pressed while powering on
3) boot to get started
4) extract and place "WP7 Update Cab Sender" folder in c:\
5) in C:\WP7 Update Cab Sender\if needed install this tool\ install correct ver of tool for your OS
6) place DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab in "c:\WP7 Update Cab Sender"
7) Confirm phone plugged in to USB and on get started screen.
8) close Zune and wait for process to stop (or you will get error on next step saying its still running)
9) run WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat in "c:\WP7 Update Cab Sender" click S
10) Once complete phone will show message saying update installed
11) click done on phone
12) complete phone initial setup skipping live ID
13) in your app list you will now show an app called storagelock, run it
14) when prompted answer yes to unlock SD card.
15) power off phone.
16) remove SD card
17) place in Windows PC
18) run CMD as Admin
19) run DiskPart
20) type list disk(this will show you your disks and the sizes so should be easy to see which number is your SD card)
21) type sel disk (then the number for you SDdisk) eg: sel disk 2
22) Being VERY sure you have the correct disk selected now type clean
23) now type cre part pri
24) if all went well remove sd card and reinsert and select it on Explorer
25) it will say its not formated and offer to format.
26) you now have full use of your SD card again :eek:

I hope this helps a few people.

Boysie

Last edited:

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
just used this on the stock 16G card from the phone!! Works like a champ!!!!!
Going to find a pre-mango xbmod rom to try so I can see if it will unlock my 32G card...

-WP7User-

Aug 31, 2010
Zurich
Tried it myself. Although it's a hassle to put a new Custom Rom on the phone because you lose all your data this tutorial really works!
My only problem was that DiskPart cleaned my SD Card but didn't want to create a partition. I had to remove and reinsert the MicroSDHC card, clean it again and then it worked like a charm.
+1 for making this a sticky. Could be extremely useful to lots of users and the rom that is used is available on all HTC 1st gen devices.

boysie

Mar 19, 2007
be nice if this SD_UNLOCK could be included in all custom ROMS!!!

if the custom rom supports cab sender then you can just send the dev_storageunlock to the device. it will persist even after hard reset but not flashing.

we just need rom buliders to start support cab sender and we will be good for everything. :0)

boysie

Mar 19, 2007
Whats the purpose of doing this?

When you use an SD card in WP7 the card is no longer usable in any other phone/laptop/device etc.

The SD spec allows for the 'S' Secure password to be setup so only the device that knows the password, in this case the WP7 device you last Hard reset it in, can access the card.

You can remove this password using a nokia symbian device but not every one has access to one.

So the purpose of this tut is being able to use your own HD7 to remove that secure lock so the SD card can be read in any other phone/laptop/device etc. and format or in some cases dual boot to droid if you could be botherd to inflict your self with that rot.

Hope this helps.

Boysie

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
Ok so does that also mean we can replace the hd7 card with another of our own purchased from off the shelf?

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

So if the sdcard , can be read by laptop, is IT possible to change its contents like down grade sol, is ECT while the card is in the laptop

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
Ok so does that also mean we can replace the hd7 card with another of our own purchased from off the shelf?

---------- Post added at 04:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 AM ----------

So if the sdcard , can be read by laptop, is IT possible to change its contents like down grade sol, is ECT while the card is in the laptop

Go check out the sticky on how to upgrade the memory in the HD7 to 32GB...
you can upgrade it, but you don't need this to upgrade it... This is so once a card is removed from the HD7 it can be used in other things. You can't take it out and modify it etc then put it back in...

Reactions: andrewprivbot

petbede

Nov 5, 2008
Everywhere
you can upgrade it, but you don't need this to upgrade it... This is so once a card is removed from the HD7 it can be used in other things. You can't take it out and modify it etc then put it back in...

Hi there.

Just want to say that my HD7 have Bootloaer(SPL-5.10) and the ROM in there does not support cabs install. But, I have HD2 and install HD2_Updatable_XBmod_Yuki_v2_native with the HD2, and follow the step in this thread in post one(1) and put in my 16GB from my HD7 and BINGO it UNLOCK the card.

Now I am using Android on the 16GB for my HD2 and the 32GB card for my HD7. I might end up switching it the other way round. Won't mind or worry cause now I can UNLOCK the card without any phone.

Thanks for your guide.

PEACE!!!

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
i like to use any sdcard in hd7 . i heard hd7 only recognises certain cards. how can i do that???

Magpir

Jul 4, 2011
it will recognize just about any card, but some cards are too slow to operate properly. In the sticky on how to upgrade to 32G, there is a lot of info on what cards will and won't work.

the card i want to use is a 8GB microSD class 2 but has no brand on it

its taken from an older smartphone around 2009

I am intending to install this card on the phone

Since its a class 2, it may be lower power consumption hence better battery life.

5ft24

Apr 21, 2011
Mount Vernon
the card i want to use is a 8GB microSD class 2 but has no brand on it

its taken from an older smartphone around 2009

I am intending to install this card on the phone

Since its a class 2, it may be lower power consumption hence better battery life.

Best bet is to do the crystal disk mark test on a PC before you install it to make sure it is fast enough. Save time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

It took me a while but finally I unlocked my 32GB SD card after using it in my HD7 to upgrade it to 32GB, in my case the card proved to be un usable.

Requirements:
    1• DFT HSPL/RSPL
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1195647

Tools you need:

WP7 Update Cab Sender:

download link:

DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab

Download Link:

Download the following ROM
    [ROM]XBmod HD7 V 1.01 Build 7720 [25/09] with Custom Cab
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1276490

Steps:

1) Boot phone with VOL- Pressed
    2) Flash XBmod rom, HARD reset using Vol- and Vol+ pressed while powering on
    3) boot to get started
    4) extract and place "WP7 Update Cab Sender" folder in c:\
    5) in C:\WP7 Update Cab Sender\if needed install this tool\ install correct ver of tool for your OS
    6) place DEV_STORAGELOCK.cab in "c:\WP7 Update Cab Sender"
    7) Confirm phone plugged in to USB and on get started screen.
    8) close Zune and wait for process to stop (or you will get error on next step saying its still running)
    9) run WP7 Update Cab Sender.bat in "c:\WP7 Update Cab Sender" click S
    10) Once complete phone will show message saying update installed
    11) click done on phone
    12) complete phone initial setup skipping live ID
    13) in your app list you will now show an app called storagelock, run it
    14) when prompted answer yes to unlock SD card.
    15) power off phone.
    16) remove SD card
    17) place in Windows PC
    18) run CMD as Admin
    19) run DiskPart
    20) type list disk(this will show you your disks and the sizes so should be easy to see which number is your SD card)
    21) type sel disk (then the number for you SDdisk) eg: sel disk 2
    22) Being VERY sure you have the correct disk selected now type clean
    23) now type cre part pri
    24) if all went well remove sd card and reinsert and select it on Explorer
    25) it will say its not formated and offer to format.
    26) you now have full use of your SD card again :eek:

I hope this helps a few people.

Boysie

Hi everyone, came here looking for a way to restore my 32GB memory card...

Well let me explain myself, I tried to upgrade the HD7 memory card to my 32Gb microSD but when I did so the SD became corrupted and couldn't use it anymore, I tried putting it on my PC but it won't show it, it does the sound of something getting connected, but it wont see it... so I found this thread and wanted to now if it will work using my HD7, it's updated to Mango and well to see if anyone here knows where to find the programs needed since the links are broken, thanks for everything and the memory is a MicroSD HC type 2 by Duracell

The sdcard is bricked , because u did not unlock it before removing it from the phone, the unlocking of sdcard is a seprate thread , it requires the unlock cab from xmod.

the only way is to fin a nokia or other pda , GPS or camera devices manufactured a few years ago to format the card.