[GUIDE] ICS 4.0 for Galaxy R / Z i9103 [FLASH] [ROOT] [CHANGELOG] [LEAKED RELEASE]

Search This thread

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
3 have said that Galaxy Z (R) will be getting ICS in 30/31 week of 2012(23-July to 5-August), hope this is true. but still i have one doubt, with lg 2x they have written no info. and both running same SoC. hope this tegra thing wont create any issue.

http://www.tre.se/Privat/Kundservice/Mobilguider/Android-40-uppdateringar/

May be LG have no interest at the moment, they might release later. but for R its confirmed....even Samsung india confirmed it !!

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

"Samsung will soon announce which additional devices are eligible for the Jelly Bean update. As the world’s largest smartphone manufacturer, Samsung leads the Android community with best-in-class devices like the Galaxy S III, and is creating new device categories with products like the Galaxy Note. Samsung has delivered the most Nexus-branded lead OS devices and we are pleased that Google will be bringing Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S customers the first experiences of Jelly Bean on a handheld device."

Source ???? and to which phones ???

xlm13x

Mar 4, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
FYI lg o2x/g2x r worlds first dual core phones and are the phone which made millions for lg and plus having official cm support and great dev base. so if they haven't confirmed dates for g2x than I doubt there is some prob with tegra drivers. And as we have same SoC hope this thing don't repeat in sgr's case.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

ZeXzr

Apr 18, 2012
Zrenjanin
FYI lg o2x/g2x r worlds first dual core phones and are the phone which made millions for lg and plus having official cm support and great dev base. so if they haven't confirmed dates for g2x than I doubt there is some prob with tegra drivers. And as we have same SoC hope this thing don't repeat in sgr's case.

Sent from my GT-I9103 using Tapatalk 2

Is Samsung tabs with tegra 2 have same SoC like sgr or a slightly modified?

technonerd92

Mar 3, 2012
Honestly the only reason I want ICS is Google Chrome and the task switcher and maybe the Gmail Widget but besides that I really dont mind Samsung doing anything with the software. All I really want is my phone to run Google Chrome. I am a heavy Chrome user. I love the UI its simple and elegant. Its actually kinda stupid that Google decided to make Chrome ICS and above only, while more than 50% of Android users are on Gingerbread. Here's hoping the Last week of July to August First week timeframe is accurate. :)

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda app-developers app

ZeXzr

Apr 18, 2012
Zrenjanin
Honestly the only reason I want ICS is Google Chrome and the task switcher and maybe the Gmail Widget but besides that I really dont mind Samsung doing anything with the software. All I really want is my phone to run Google Chrome. I am a heavy Chrome user. I love the UI its simple and elegant. Its actually kinda stupid that Google decided to make Chrome ICS and above only, while more than 50% of Android users are on Gingerbread. Here's hoping the Last week of July to August First week timeframe is accurate. :)

Ics will bring better user experience, and what is most important for our phone it will bring h/w acceleration and that it is most needed because it is full of lags for phone with 1ghz cpu and good gpu

'cooleagle'

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 19, 2012
I do not think we can get JB,so I decide to buy nexus 7

Sent from my GT-I9103 using XDA

Once we have a stable CM 9, developers should be able to port 4.1 for us. Jelly Bean is not so different from ICS as ICS was from GB(2.3.X)

Nexus 7 is worth the money with the specs it has moreover you can always tether it with R incase you need to. But how did you buy it? You need a US credit/debit Card to buy it?

Last edited:

Birki96

May 14, 2012
Ics will bring better user experience, and what is most important for our phone it will bring h/w acceleration and that it is most needed because it is full of lags for phone with 1ghz cpu and good gpu

what? even more faster? we can play the best 3D Games without any lag. And for UI "lags" there are some fixes in kernels...

I really cant understand why its so important to have ICS ...

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda premium

vbz89

Jan 11, 2012
Bangalore / Singapore
what? even more faster? we can play the best 3D Games without any lag. And for UI "lags" there are some fixes in kernels...

There are many many improvements over gb in ics and even more in jb with project butter etc, all of which isn't possible on gb roms. You can call it an obsession that some of us have, to have the latest versions running on our phones, but it's also coz of the additional features, Utilities, apps (like chrome), etc which we'll be able to use after getting ics.

All this talk and impatience is there coz ics was launched quite a long while back and we're still without the update.

Also, don't you feel left out when your friends with crappier phones are happily running ics officially?

bhargav143

Mar 6, 2011
Berhampur
Also, don't you feel left out when your friends with crappier phones are happily running ics officially?

Agree friend.... really... We are having a capable phone....where as people with single core...less capable start dancing with their ICS.... I feel pity...what will happen to their dancing after we have cm9...... ;)

Sent via XDA App....

SGR 2.3.6 Neo Rom with Voodoo Sound Enhancements.......

D™

May 23, 2012
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ Watching You @!@

There are many many improvements over gb in ics and even more in jb with project butter etc, all of which isn't possible on gb roms. You can call it an obsession that some of us have, to have the latest versions running on our phones, but it's also coz of the additional features, Utilities, apps (like chrome), etc which we'll be able to use after getting ics.

All this talk and impatience is there coz ics was launched quite a long while back and we're still without the update.

Buddies,

Just feel like you have Windows XP & now you have installed Windows 7..just like GB to ICS is same..:cowboy:

---------- Post added at 10:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

IS there a 2.3.6 Rom of default android (runing on nexus) for SGR ???

not in indian region dear..

Birki96

May 14, 2012

No i dont feel left out because they even dont know what model they have :)

bhargav143

Mar 6, 2011
Berhampur
We had been blaming samsung for not providing us update... But the truth is... :rolleyes:

We bought a nVidia device:confused:.... and this is the worst middleman....which is a reason of the delay... If we had any hardware with open drivers...we might have ported or on our own.....

Samsung is one of the best...bcoz.. At least it believes in open source.... And provides its sources of the stock roms build by itself....:thumbup:

Even if..we are the unwanted child...but it will give our share of ics... :p

Sent via XDA App....

SGR 2.3.6 Neo Rom with Voodoo Sound Enhancements.......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GALAXY 'ROYALE' Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 UPDATE:

- ICS 4.0.4 update for Gallery R i9103 has been leaked in a funny & very unusual way by Samsung's service center when a fellow XDA member Machram got his mobile back from the service center. But nevertheless we're thankful to them for at least releasing the update in the given time frame though it was a bit late when compared to the time frame of Galaxy S2 & Note's ICS updates.

Swedish ICS CWM backup (Multiple Language options in the ROM):

CAUTION ! There are unconfirmed reports of two users being affected by a faulty eMMC brickbug. You can flash ICS but there's always a risk of you having a faulty emmc chip. If you're already on ICS / want to flash ICS then just DO NOT perform the following operations after flashing ICS 4.0.4:
    • Wipe data / cache using CWM / TWRP
    • Factory reset your mobile after flashing ICS 4.0.4
    • Resoring a Nandroid backup / Deleting large files while using ICS 4.0.4 kernel.
    • Any other operation which could invoke recovery to wipe cache / dalvik cache / any other [/data] partition related operation.
    However if you want to Go back to GB then just flash your stock 2.3.x ROM directly via Odin & don't perform wipe operations via CWM before it.

The information in this post is provided as it is without any option for claims, your device may brick for which I won't be responsible.

Download links:
    HOW To Flash ICS 4.0.4 (Newbie Friendly):

• Start downloading the RAR archive from the above links.
    • Just as a precaution to confirm that your eMMC chip is not faulty, run the eMMC BrickBug app. Get the app from Play Store: eMMC Brickbug. After you Run the app you'll get the following screen.
      728f35a8-8a74-3c4f.jpg
    • Flash CWM from the Galaxy R Dev Section. (Skip if you already have CWM)
    • Make a backup of your current system using CWM. Boot into CWM => Select Backup and Restore => Make a backup of your current system.
    • Clear the cache & dalvik cache.
    • (Optional but recommended)Factory reset your SGR to avoid any problems related to incompatible apps & Force closing of apps.
    • Extract the RAR archive using WinRAR / 7 Zip & copy the extracted files into the external memory card in the following directory:
      Code:
      [B]/sdcard/external_sd/clockworkmod/backup/[/B]
    • Boot into CWM recovery & go to Advanced => Unmount system => Mount system.
    • In CWM => Select Backup and Restore => Restore the ICS 4.0.4 CWM files.
    • Report here how it goes. :)
    How to root ICS 4.0.4:
    We don't know how to reset the counter for this new ICS bootloader so keep that in mind.

1. Copy 'RootRecovery_v4' to the sdcard / external card
    2. Boot into CWM recovery & go to Advanced => Unmount system => Mount system.
    3. Choose Install zip from sdcard
    4. Choose zip from sdcard
    5. Select RootRecovery_v4.zip from where you copied it
    6. Choose Install RootRecovey_v4.zip
    7. Restart phone
    Thnx to abrahamyan-ha (XDA member) & lipton_01 (4pda.ru)
    Download RootRecovery_v4.zip

Changelog in ICS 4.0.4 over GB:

This Changelog is based on ICS build 4.0.3 of S2 9100 so there could be some differences. ;)
    • Basic Changelog can be found here: Introducing ICS 4.0
    • To unlock slide lock, touch and drag to outside of circle.
    • Screen Capture: Press and hold POWER + HOME (But it should have been Volume Down + Power as it is normally in ICS.)
    • Sub menu for Menu Button is changed from Grid format to List format.
    • Keyboard Icon is added in indicator bar to change the keyboard being used.
    • 'Restart' option is added when you press power button for a few seconds.
    • If you press “Home” button for a few seconds, recent applications are displayed. If you want to remove / close an application in recent list, select and drag to right or left side.
    • Tap on the Share icon to enable selected texts in the default browser to be used by other applications e.g. Messaging.
    • Favorites now shown as a Thumbnail in the Contacts app with Contact name added in the thumbnail view.
    • 'Unknown sources' option is moved from Applications to Security.
    • Settings are categorized (Wireless & networks, Device, Personal, System), Wi-Fi/BT ON/OFF buttons are displayed instead of 'Wireless & Networks', Data usage function added.
    • Improved increased 'Developer Options.'
    728f35a8-86d5-4832.jpg

Finally we are receiving positive news on the release of ICS on Galaxy R i9103 from different divisions of Samsung from different parts the world. :D

I have started this new thread as the purpose of the last thread was to get some concrete info from Samsung whether Galaxy R will get an ICS update or not, which stands resolved.

But now its a question of when & not if so we'll keep a close watch on the developments here. :)

The tentative dates given by various regional departments of Samsung:

- Germany: Scheduled for July, should be available by August.

- Sweden: Between July 23, 2012 - August 5, 2012

- India: Galaxy R will also be getting ICS upgrade very soon. Stay tuned!(No dates or even month. :()

Sources:
    - Germany:
    Samsung Germany replied my first question on their facebook-wall(dunno why they answered my second one first)

"Hallo * , geplant ist das Update auf ICS für das Galaxy R noch für Juli. Spätestens im August sollte es verfügbar sein."
    Translated:
    "Hello * , the update to ICS for Galaxy R is scheduled for July. At the latest, in August it should be available

Hope Samsung Germany is better informed than other divisons :D
    - Sweden
    1. http://www.facebook.com/samsungsverige/app_208195102528120

2. (Referred to as Galaxy Z in the article): http://translate.google.com/transla...service/Mobilguider/Android-40-uppdateringar/

- India:

1. Q. https://twitter.com/prachetaa/status/214933194158514178/photo/1
    ANS. https://twitter.com/Samsung_India/status/215024751268208640

2. https://www.facebook.com/samsung.mobiles/posts/10150962668939374

[FONT=&quot]If any of the above helped please don't forget to appreciate by hitting 'Thanks'.

REGARDS,
    [/FONT]‘cooleagle’
    Exactly. We have to rely on hacks and workarounds.

Anyway, I was in the kernel almost the whole afternoon. I ported the Atmel driver to work with the new Linux input handling subsystem. Now I can proudly say that I have a usable CM10 build. :cool: The screen is still green, but at least usable now with the touchscreen (even with multitouch :p). :laugh:

I attach some pictures. In the first 3, you can see the pointer. I made those pics in the afternoon and the port was still under construction then. :D The last pic represents the fixed multitouch capabilities which I'm still working on.
    I did some tests with JB (actually CM10) yesterday. I fixed some bugs and now there aren't any Java- or framework-related errors in logcat. However, the screen is green due to bad gralloc (Nvidia only released the Linux drivers) and touchscreen is not responsive. This is because input handling has been changed in Android 4.0 so we have to rewrite the Atmel driver (in the kernel) to work with the new system.

Sent from my GT-I9103
    I know that this is off-topic :)D), but some update on CM10:
    I made some changes to the multitouch. Now everything works fine. :cool:
    Good News:

Guys while browsing on net i found this, Galaxy R big brother Samsung Captivate Glide got official ICS leak's (we can grab drivers from this ;)).....

77pCR.jpg

Download Link: Click here