Just took an update through Samsung Kies - I545VRUDMI1

Search This thread

old&slow

Oct 19, 2010
DFW
If your going to root anyway, why not root now and save it with root keeper. If root keeper still works on the update, that will mean less hoops to jump through later.;)

M

mdorrett

@tech_head other than removing bloat no need to root at the moment. Haven't been pleased with choices of ROMs working with SS so hoping with update we will soon have an unlocked bootloader then will re root and flash away. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tech_head

@tech_head other than removing bloat no need to root at the moment. Haven't been pleased with choices of ROMs working with SS so hoping with update we will soon have an unlocked bootloader then will re root and flash away. Lol

The point being this.
Knox Warranty Status = 0x0.
This is even if you flash or root while on MI1, the 4.3 build is supposed to have full Knox support which means rooting will probably trip the flag.
I root so that I can freeze bloat and run Xposed so I can tweak system appearance.

YMMV but I suggest rooting before updating to 4.3.

s44

Sep 25, 2010
The point being this.
Knox Warranty Status = 0x0.
This is even if you flash or root while on MI1, the 4.3 build is supposed to have full Knox support which means rooting will probably trip the flag.
I root so that I can freeze bloat and run Xposed so I can tweak system appearance.

YMMV but I suggest rooting before updating to 4.3.
Absolutely correct. If you don't root before taking the MJ7 OTA, it's very likely that rooting without tripping the Knox flag and potentially jeopardizing your warranty will be a serious hassle. There's no point in *not* rooting now.

Alxoom33

May 18, 2011
New York
www.sack-ip.com
Google Pixel Tablet

People who bought
the bionic over 2 years ago are still waiting. Lol!

The smart bet is not on waiting on _if_ the bootloader gets unlocked. . .

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

:sly:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: Surge1223

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please don't rape my drop box. Modem https://db.tt/PLtz5Pbg
    PLEASE NOTE BEFORE UPDATING TO THIS NEW BUILD

If you are on VRUAMDK, of course do not update AT ALL (due to the same bootloader situation that was on VRUAME7 - this has not changed). Just wait until the dev for the ROM you are currently running updates it to the new VRUDMI1 build themselves and then flash that.

If you are on VRUAME7, it is not yet confirmed that the root exploit is patched in VRUDMI1. The VRUAME7 root method does not work yet on VRUDMI1 because that exploit was coded to check for VRUAME7 build even if it does work on other builds. I am currently trying to get a hold of the user who helped to modify that exploit to work on VRUAME7 to do the same for the new build so we can test if the entire exploit is patched as of yet or not. Until then, please note there is no confirmation that the exploit has patched in the new build. As far as Safestrap is concerned, that will have to be determined AFTER we get root up and running on a full VRUDMI1 build (however if I had to guess, most likely Safestrap was not yet patched, but again, we will have to wait and see after we get root).
    I just took a quick look at aboot.mbn in this update and it looks like the "version" has been updated from the ME7 aboot. This likely means if you flash the MI1 bootloaders, you will NOT be able to revert to ME7/MDK bootloaders. The highlighted values below are checked when aboot is updated and most likely triggers the qfuse update if the new aboot ver > curr qfuse ver.

(Disclaimer: I don't have an i545, but I'm basing this off my analysis of the MF3 (ATT) bootloaders, which are very similar)

For reference, I'll show the change you can find with a simple hex editor:

MI1
    Code:
    0000000[B][COLOR="Red"]4[/COLOR][/B]00000009 SW_ID1

ME7
    Code:
    0000000[B][COLOR="Red"]3[/COLOR][/B]00000009 SW_ID1
    You guys realize this new update fixes root exploit that took a few months to surface on ME7 and probably made it even more difficult to install safestrap on locked bootloader?

On top of that this is still only 4.2.2 so not worth the risk at this time.

Sent from my Galaxy S4