A way to listen to XM/Sirius radio for free!

Search This thread

Jondc

Mar 18, 2021
New radios do not do this. Modern XM radios need a reactivation signal once in a while. MY older Sirius radios are still active and running, but the 2 years old XM radio that was activated but not on when the kill signal was sent...... 2 years later I powered it up and it went to update the channel list and popped up "No activation" after it was playing howard stern for 3 minutes. I was expecting them to fix this hole and it looks like the more modern radios do.
What if you have a legit subscription but update your radio? Is there a way to transfer your ESN/radio ID over to the new receiver without having to call customer support? Tried going from Sync 1 to Sync 3. Everything worked with the programming values, but the only thing that didn’t transfer was the satellite subscription. I’ve combed through the OBDii readout with FORScan but can’t find the radio ID to match the old one.

alex_templar

May 18, 2010
I've wait for full 5 months (November till April) and and after two days radio reset to demo. I have an old Sony DRN-XM01.

Any ideas? Should I try a different unit? Suggestions?

alex_templar

May 18, 2010
That's what I found:

Back in the day, when you activated Sirius/XM, it sends an activation signal down when your receiver is on which activates it for good. When you first deactivate, Sirius/XM will send a deactivation signal down every 5-10 mins, after a while, every hour, then later on, once or twice a month. If your receiver is on when it gets the deactivation signal, it'll get deactivated.

From what I know, they've changed the activation system slightly to prevent people from leaving their recievers off for a long time and getting lifetime activations. When you activate it now, it sends an activation signal down that's good for several months. Then it routinely sends an update (daily/weekly depending on how close to expiry) to keep the subscription active for another few months. So even if you turn off your receiver for a long time to avoid the deactivation signal, it'll still expire.