Entourage pocket edge development

Search This thread

mak0305

Aug 14, 2010
I was wondering if I could get some help developing some things for the pocket edge... Possibly a custom rom, gapps and what not. Any help would be appreciated.

samsung vibrant malice with bullet
Pocket edge ermine

woodpiledad

Nov 21, 2008
I just ordered 1 of these for $155 shipped. Of course my 1st stop was xda, & am shocked that there is no activity for this [potentially] great device!

Here's hoping that some of the devs will pick up 1 at these new lower prices & start working their magic :)

I just ordered 1 of these for $155 shipped. Of course my 1st stop was xda, & am shocked that there is no activity for this [potentially] great device!

Here's hoping that some of the devs will pick up 1 at these new lower prices & start working their magic :)
A woot sale is not "new lower prices". :) That said, I'm in for one, and also looking for the hacking I hope is already going on this!

rumborak

Jun 7, 2010
Checking in too, I got mine yesterday and am very excited about the device.
What I was able to establish quickly is that most 2.2 apps will work out of the box on the Pocket Edge (I made apk backups of my apps on my N1, copied them onto the SD card of the Pocket Edge and voila, I had most of my favorite apps :)

I would be specifically interested in knowing how to access the e-ink screen programatically. Seems that the current apps focus mostly on the LCD screen.

Reactions: kawauso

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
Anyone who has one already willing to do a system dump? Is it even possible?

I also Wooted and am waiting on my new toy to arrive.

AlphaDog_NL

Feb 17, 2010
Delft
I just got my PE through a dutch version of woot, I upgraded it to 2.2.1 right away, but there's still plenty to tweak. I have no experience whatsoever with those things, but I'm very willing to learn and help you out, just tell me what to do.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
I just got my PE through a dutch version of woot, I upgraded it to 2.2.1 right away, but there's still plenty to tweak. I have no experience whatsoever with those things, but I'm very willing to learn and help you out, just tell me what to do.

I am not quite sure what to do. I believe it's an adb pull. I meant to do a little more research but have been really busy with work.

Anyone have more knowledge about this?

jblackwood

Oct 14, 2010
They have an open development forum on the entourage website that may have useful information for someone wanting to hack this device (I got one on woot too.)

I can't link outside the site since this is my first post, but it's the Open Edge Community Forum at the very bottom of the forum page.

MondoMor

Jan 9, 2011
I got mine (from Woot!) yesterday. I applied the update. I have signed up for the betas, but not installed the beta OS yet.

I plugged in a USB keyboard and it worked well. I did the same with a mouse, though the X and Y axes seem swapped; maybe it only works with a particular screen orientation. I have a Bluetooth keyboard that I will try next.

The included apps aren't great, but they could be worse. I copied some .apk files from my rooted HTC Aria just to see what would install.

Apps that installed and worked:

1) Titanium Backup (the free one). Doesn't do much since I don't have root.
2) Google Maps - everything but the location-based services seems to work.
3) RealCalc - looks freaky on the huge screen
4) Google Listen - though it's broken because it needs a GMail link
5) SystemPanelLite

Apps that would not install:

1) GMail
2) Winamp (I don't like the eDGe's music player)

Looking forward to getting Market and Gmail working one day!

mister_ed

Jan 10, 2011
My WPE (Woot Pocket Edge) came today and is slowly charging up. I see two root methods out there, one on AndroidPolice using ADB and one on mobileread using z4root. Anybody have a favorite or comments?

-- Ed

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
I'm not very good with adb so I think I'll check z4root. Do you have a link?

I got mine today and have been playing for a couple hours. Updated to Ermine. Installed a few apps from the Amazon app store and also copied over a few from my phone.

Everything worked except for Gmail and Google Reader.

Sent from my edgejr using XDA Premium App

(PS - I love that it's called edgejr in the xda mobile app)

angst911

Nov 12, 2009
I've played a bit with rooting it already with Ermine and installed the CM6.1 version of Gapps HDPI manually, rebooted. I can't seem to get it to let me add an account. I get the horrible "Can't establish a reliable data connection" error and am stuck at that point :(

I've read lots of posts about people having trouble adding a google account via wifi and am wondering if something needs to be changed to make it work. I had tried a mock location w/ "My Fake Location" with no luck so far.

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
Just rooted mine. :) It was super easy. I downloaded the z4root app from the Amazon App Store and clicked Permanent Root. Et voila!

Now to install AdFree Android and Ti Backup. They make Android life so much easier.

Reactions: MondoMor

kennyminot

Jan 9, 2011
Instructions for Installing G-mail/Calendar

I also got the sucker from Woot. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. Definitely worth $150!

I'm currently in the process of trying to get gapps to work. At the moment, I have a functional copy of gmail and the calendar, but I'm still having trouble with the market. I'm posting this in the hope that I can help push forward the process and someone more knowledgeable will figure out how to get the market to work.

Anyway, here's the process.

(1) Root your device. You just need to download z4root from the Amazon marketplace and select the "permanent root" option.

(2) Download the Google *.apk files. While you can get these from several places, I took them from the CyanogenMod wiki. Unfortunately, I'm a new user and can't post links. Therefore, you need to (A) Google CyanogenMod Wiki, (B) click on "Latest Version," (C) scroll down to the bottom of the page, (D) download the HDPI files under the CyanogenMod 6 section.

(3) Transfer the *.apk files to your Pocket Edge via USB.

(4) Install the *.apk files with the preloaded ES File Explorer. This part is a little tricky, primarily because the different gapps are intimately related and draw on similar resources. Therefore, you need to install quite a few of them to get gmail/calendar to work. From what I can tell, these are the ones that are absolutely necessary:

Gmail.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
MediaUploader.apk
SetupWizard.apk
Talk.apk
Vending.apk

After I installed all the applications, I still had some trouble initializing my Google account. I would type in my information, but it would take forever and then inform me that I didn't have an internet connection. I discovered that this had been a problem for some previous users with different devices. The workaround was to initialize your account through Google's YouTube app, which you will have to install along with the other *.apk files. I'm curious to see if anybody else has this problem. I'm fairly certain I had these issues because I was messing around with various gmail installations before I arrived at this solution. (Also, I'm wondering if installing "OneTimeInitializer.apk" might also help).

Good luck. I'm fairly confident about eventually getting the Market to work. Also, I'm glad to finally have Launcher Pro and Swiftkey installed instead of the default options. :)

Reactions: MondoMor

Keslynn

May 5, 2010
Dela-where?
Thanks for all the useful info!

I tried installing via the CyanogenMod gapps pack like you said and I currently have functioning Gmail, calendar sync, contacts sync, Reader & Maps (though of course you can't really get a location; good for looking up directions anyway). You don't have to install a new calendar app to get your Google calendar to sync. That comes with the calendar sync apk. You might lose the e-ink functionality of the current app if you tried to replace it with the standard Google Calendar app.

Install Gmail last. I had problems with Gmail force closing until I installed it after installing all the other supporting gapps.

I had the same problem logging into my Google account via Gmail, but the YouTube workaround was also successful for me. I got a weird error when I fired up Gmail after logging into my account. It said the account was not set up to sync. I unchecked and then rechecked the various elements in Settings > Accounts & Sync and that fixed my issue.

Agentbolt

Apr 30, 2011
I've also rooted the Edge (with Z4root, seems simplest and works fine) and so far I've been stymied at almost every step. I'm noticing about half the apps in Amazon's App store don't install. I also pulled the .apk's for Quadrant and SetCPU, neither of them work however.

I think doing anything past installing some Google apps is going to necessitate a custom ROM, but there's not really any development happening for this thing and I certainly lack the programming skillz needed to do so.

MondoMor

Jan 9, 2011
HOw? I've owned one of these for almost a year now???

If you're asking how to get Android 2.2.1, go to the entourage edge site, head to the forums, and use the partial link below to see the thread:

/forums/showthread.php?1835-How-to-Upgrade-the-Pocket-Edge-from-Dingo-to-Ermine

After rooting (thanks for posting that!), I can't seem to move any apps to the SD card.

I'm looking forward to installing the GAPPS, thanks for the how-tos. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ALL google apps are now working correctly. FYI, I learned through the process that if you have to register through the youtube app, Gmail might not sync correctly and you may have problems with the market. This made my pocket edge 10000x more valuable...so give it a try!

I'll try to explain how I did it, I made so many changes it's hard to be sure what the fix was.

To do this the way I did, you will need a rooted phone with the 2.2.1 version of Google apps. This might work with another version of Gapps? Hopefully someone can find an easier method.

On the phone:

1) Convert all google apps to "User Apps" available in Titanium Backup Pro 3.8.1 by long pressing on the app and scrolling to the bottum. I'm not sure which files made it work, but GoogleServicesFramework and Vendor are important. I also did NetworkLocation, MarketUpdater, Gmail, Youtube and the rest.

2) Backup all google apps + data to mini SD card.

On the pocket edge:

1) Put mini SD card in edge and restore all google apps + data. You will need the pro version of Titanium Backup to use the fast install method. This was the main reason I used Titanium Backup was that some of the required files failed on using the package manager.

2) Now, convert all those installed user apps on the edge BACK to system apps. VERY important, took my awhile to figure this out. I suspect that google apps have to be system apps to work correctly.

3) Give it a try, if Market gives you an error, reboot and wait for a network to be connected, then try again. Go to the next step only if you have issues with it. You should be able to set up your google account through Market or GMail.

4) I also did the "Market Fix", which involves changing your build.prop with Root Explorer to include "ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys" A tutorial is found here: http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-861044.html We might be able to find a fingerprint that more closely matches the edge?

Some of the apps still won't install (like Angry Birds), I suspect this is a hardware problem.

The titanium method may not be necessary if anyone wants to copy the gapps apks to the /system/app folder with root exploer and use another method to make it work.

Good luck everyone!!!
    How To Guide

I've posted a full description of the procedure for getting the Android Market to work on the Entourage forums. Once again, thanks to brianb5010 for figuring this out! Right now, the process requires having another rooted Android device with access to the Market.

Here's the link:

http://www.entourageedge.com/forums...Android-Market-on-your-eDGe&p=20563#post20563
    Checking in too, I got mine yesterday and am very excited about the device.
    What I was able to establish quickly is that most 2.2 apps will work out of the box on the Pocket Edge (I made apk backups of my apps on my N1, copied them onto the SD card of the Pocket Edge and voila, I had most of my favorite apps :)

I would be specifically interested in knowing how to access the e-ink screen programatically. Seems that the current apps focus mostly on the LCD screen.
    Just rooted mine. :) It was super easy. I downloaded the z4root app from the Amazon App Store and clicked Permanent Root. Et voila!

Now to install AdFree Android and Ti Backup. They make Android life so much easier.

I just ordered one of these yesterday after finding out my friends girlfriend has one. She let me play with it for awhile and man I can see the potential for this device. I can't wait to get mine so I can start tweaking with it.

I'm actually working on a custom ROM for my HTC Hero CDMA but I might put that on hold once I get this and see what type of development I can pull off with it. I hope more people chime in this thread so we can attract attention to developers and perhaps get some custom roms/apps/themes for our PE.

Regards,

rast4man