[Q] Demo Kindle Fire 7"

Search This thread
S

stirky

Hey

I spent all night reading . . . . well pretty much every page on this forum. I am stuck - I am sure that if I had a normal Kindle Fire it would be rooted by now. I found the tutorial really easy to follow.

This demo unit automatically fires up in demo mode every time. A few notes that may help before I get into what I done. When using the swipe down menu, I only have a couple of options and cant get the the security settings (Im sure at this moment that ADB connectivity is disabled). I am unable to check which software this unit is running. If I try to get into the more option nothing happens, if you try to turn of parental controls the unit stated "this feature isnt availble in demostration mode". When connected in via USB - unit states its connected as media device, is listed as kindle under portable devices in device managers, and in my computer shows as a portable media player, with no contents if clicked on. If you check in the properties your can see a firmware version and a serial number but thats it.
This model has a Demo screen saver which kicks in if the unit is left idle for a few minutes, when it does is disconnects from th system then reconnects and is recognised again. If trying all this and ensuring the screensaver doesnt start still have no effect.

following this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069117
I have completed the windows 7 bug fix as here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36373627
and attempting to install the kindle fire abd drivers or the USB_drivers the PC always states that I am currently using the correct drivers and the kindle is listed as "kindle" under portable devices.
I have also tried with the SDK package with the notes here - https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
I have completed the actions in this videos also - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrxo0-NieM&feature=youtu.be

I have uninstalled the devices from my system numerours times but not matter which driver I try to install / force an update with. My system states that I am using the most upto date driver (MTP USB Device). I can uninstall the device from the system but I cant find any option to delete the drivers it auto assigns (wpdMTPdr.dll, winusb.sys, wudfrd.sys, wpdmtp.dll, wpdwtpus.dll). I would delted them manually but thought I would post here first - incase firther problems could arise.

Can anyone help with this issue, someone in this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828335&page=2
said they managed to do it, but didnt supply any info. I believe I have a driver and/or ADB connectivty issue.

At the moment I would just like to revert this Demo to a normal rooted kindle fire with the google play mod. If this isnt possible I would still like to root the device and just put an OS on there (jellybean seems to be the one of choice).

Thanks for reading this - and I look forward to the replies.

PS - The simple nood guide is by far the most informative and easy to follow guide that I have come accross. Had no problemn following the steps etc - like i said at the begging if this wasnt a demo model I am sure it would have been rooted by now. BIG BIG props to you guys especailly after seeing the lenght you go to helping people who didnt understand the guide! keep up the awesome work

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
So you have adb installed correctly and you're able to connect to the device USB and read it in your device manager.... correct?

Check under device manager for Kindle Fire. Click and check if it says android adb interface.

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

Last edited:
S

stirky

Yes I believe that the ADB drivers are installed on my system. I tried the ones from the "kindle fire abd drivers", "USB_drivers" and the SDK package when following the Amazon guide. But when I connect my kindle to the PC it Auto installs and picks a driver which I found is labeled an MTP driver. The kindle is only list as "kindle" (in lower case) under portable devices in the device manager.
I have tried to update the driver and point the device manager to look at the Kindle fire ADB drivers, USB_drivers or point it to the drivers in the SDK folders.
I have also tried uninstalling the device each time, installing each drivers and reconnecting the device (i have also just uninstalled the device, left it connected and tried to install the drivers that way but no difference) - however it still installs the MTP driver which is automattically assigned. If the devices is connected with each driver and attempting the "ADB Devices" list in CMD prompt the list of devices is empty.

I am unable to access the security options in the kindle as it is a demo unit, if you touch more nothin happenes.

SO in short yes the drivers are on my system but I am unable to force the kindle to use them. I think this is probably to do with the fact that I cant access the security menu (I think ADB is disabled).

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to get a normal Kindle Fire, connect it and install the correct drivers- Unfortunatly I do not have access to another Kindle Fire to attempt this.

S

stirky

Just now The kindle fire stopped responding when booting up, with a pop up stating Demo mode has stopped responding - with options to wait or close demo mode. I choose close demo mode, but after struggling to boot it fired up in demo mode again.

Anyone know how to force a crash on a kindle fire - this may open access to the security menu.

S

stirky

Hello again - Just an update in case any of this is useful

if I follow this guide http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1923010
with this page which is linked there www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/13/how-to-install-kindle-fire-adb-usb-driver/

The unit still installs as an MTP device. The best luck I have had was running the Install_drivers.bat file from the KFU utility which gives me an unsigned driver pop-up warning. when completed the system says it installes the google, INC, (winUSB)androidUSBdeviceclass (12/06/2010 4.0.0000.00000). However in device manager its still listed under portable devices as a kindle using the MTP driver. If I attempt to update and point the unit to the SDK altered files (using above guide) or the KFU drivers, it is still the same.

I am ready to pull my hair out LOL. But I am still pretty sure that the problem lies with not being able to access the security menu on the kindle.

S

stirky

Hey all another update with a bit of progress but I am stuck

I followed this guide - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1830108
and managed to get the Kindle recognised as a Android device after I had installed the google USB drivers

I then updated the drivers in the same way (The only driver it would accept was the one from the Qmenu folders).
Now the device is recognised as a kindle fire - when the window is expanded it states its a Android ADB interface.
I tried the advice in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1927710 Bujt I cannot get the device to be recognised as an android ADB composit device.
(still shows as offline or does not appear under the ADB devices command, even though shown in device manager)

When updating the drivers as described in the guide, when I pick let me pick from list of device drivers I do have a "%compositADBinterface%, but no matter what I try once installed the device still reads as a kindle fire => Android ADB Interface. If I attempt the process again the "%compositADBinterface%" is still there.

Any ideas people?

Last edited:

Krsmqn

Jan 23, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
Google Pixel 5
I'm curious as to how you ended up with a demo version.

Open cmd... navigate to sdk\platform-tools\

type adb devices

Does it list a serial number?

Under Device Manager in windows, you should see it listed as Kindle Fire. When you expand that, it should show "Android ADB Interface"

If you see that then adb is installed. You may not be able to do anything without a factory cable. These guys on here should be able help you install a non-demo version on to your device.

Good luck!

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

Last edited:
S

stirky

Hello again - thanks for the reply.

My friend worked in one of the stores that was recently a victim of the recession. I asked him how much they were selling the ex-demo stuff, the same evening he dropped by and handed it to me - He says his manager said he could take it .

Yes in Device Manager now the device is seen as a Kindle Fire and when expanded it states its an Android ADB Interface. I am a noob but from what Ive read so far this means the driver isnt correctly installed. As it should read "android ADB composit device"

Using the ADB devices command , it is blank under the list of devices.

Not sure if this helps, but if I right click the kindle in my computer and look at the properties, I can view the serial number there.

Looking into the factory cable options now :)

Again thanks for the help

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Hey

I spent all night reading . . . . well pretty much every page on this forum. I am stuck - I am sure that if I had a normal Kindle Fire it would be rooted by now. I found the tutorial really easy to follow.

This demo unit automatically fires up in demo mode every time. A few notes that may help before I get into what I done. When using the swipe down menu, I only have a couple of options and cant get the the security settings (Im sure at this moment that ADB connectivity is disabled). I am unable to check which software this unit is running. If I try to get into the more option nothing happens, if you try to turn of parental controls the unit stated "this feature isnt availble in demostration mode". When connected in via USB - unit states its connected as media device, is listed as kindle under portable devices in device managers, and in my computer shows as a portable media player, with no contents if clicked on. If you check in the properties your can see a firmware version and a serial number but thats it.
This model has a Demo screen saver which kicks in if the unit is left idle for a few minutes, when it does is disconnects from th system then reconnects and is recognised again. If trying all this and ensuring the screensaver doesnt start still have no effect.

I have completed the windows 7 bug fix as here - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=36373627
and attempting to install the kindle fire abd drivers or the USB_drivers the PC always states that I am currently using the correct drivers and the kindle is listed as "kindle" under portable devices.
I have also tried with the SDK package with the notes here - https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
I have completed the actions in this videos also - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrxo0-NieM&feature=youtu.be

I have uninstalled the devices from my system numerours times but not matter which driver I try to install / force an update with. My system states that I am using the most upto date driver (MTP USB Device). I can uninstall the device from the system but I cant find any option to delete the drivers it auto assigns (wpdMTPdr.dll, winusb.sys, wudfrd.sys, wpdmtp.dll, wpdwtpus.dll). I would delted them manually but thought I would post here first - incase firther problems could arise.

Can anyone help with this issue, someone in this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1828335&page=2
said they managed to do it, but didnt supply any info. I believe I have a driver and/or ADB connectivty issue.

At the moment I would just like to revert this Demo to a normal rooted kindle fire with the google play mod. If this isnt possible I would still like to root the device and just put an OS on there (jellybean seems to be the one of choice).

PS - The simple nood guide is by far the most informative and easy to follow guide that I have come accross. Had no problemn following the steps etc - like i said at the begging if this wasnt a demo model I am sure it would have been rooted by now. BIG BIG props to you guys especailly after seeing the lenght you go to helping people who didnt understand the guide! keep up the awesome work

stirky,

First, let me apologize for the delay in getting to your issue, we have been working on a new package for the Kindle

which can be viewed here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Let us know what you think. Now to your problem. We have worked with the demo Kindles, they have security software

to eliminate program installation, even if you allow or turn on "Allow Installation of Programs". I do not understand how

someone what able to breakthrough the block since it is done at the OS Level. Maybe they hacked the Kernel? Anyways,

the task is not easy. What I would do is Fast a new system.img, boot.img and recovery.img using this software:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

If we need to flash the Kernel I will add that functionality too. What this will do is completely remove the Demo and

control/security software and turn the demo Kindle into a regular Kindle. We can ship the required Factory USB Cable

tomorrow. Read the post and send us a PM.

S

stirky

No worries about the delay in getting back to me! I was quite proud I finanlly managed to get it recognised on my system after trail and error.

First Question - I am now assuming that anything I need to do to this unit requires a Factory Cable? Am I correct?

. Now a note - Not sure if this helps. While playing around I did notice this little quirk.
After I had edited the google USB driver as mentioned in the above post, My system first recognised the device as an Adroid ADB interface under abndroid device. While checking back though my edit I noticed that I mistyped Composite. Rectified this and then re-installed as before. Now the devices is rocognised under Andoid Device as an Android ADB Composite interface. I then proceeded to up date the drivers agains from the Qmenu Drivers Folder. This makes the system list the device as a Kindle Fire and under this is states its now just an android ADB Interface.
I then had a brainwave and made an edit of this file and inserted the same edit as the google USB driver. This all installs fine. But still only recognised as an android ADB Interface under Kindle fire.
Does is have to be recognised as a composite device? or is a Andoird ADB Interface suffcient?

I assume I need a factory cable and will get one ASAP if thats the case.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Root and Google Play for Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD Demo

No worries about the delay in getting back to me! I was quite proud I finanlly managed to get it recognised on my system after trail and error.

First Question - I am now assuming that anything I need to do to this unit requires a Factory Cable? Am I correct?

. Now a note - Not sure if this helps. While playing around I did notice this little quirk.
After I had edited the google USB driver as mentioned in the above post, My system first recognised the device as an Adroid ADB interface under abndroid device. While checking back though my edit I noticed that I mistyped Composite. Rectified this and then re-installed as before. Now the devices is rocognised under Andoid Device as an Android ADB Composite interface. I then proceeded to up date the drivers agains from the Qmenu Drivers Folder. This makes the system list the device as a Kindle Fire and under this is states its now just an android ADB Interface.
I then had a brainwave and made an edit of this file and inserted the same edit as the google USB driver. This all installs fine. But still only recognised as an android ADB Interface under Kindle fire.
Does is have to be recognised as a composite device? or is a Andoird ADB Interface suffcient?

I assume I need a factory cable and will get one ASAP if thats the case.

stirky,

That is perfect Android ADB Interface is sufficient.

Yes, you will need a Factory USB Cable. we do sell them and we are shipping a bunch tomorrow. I would ship it

to you Priority at no additional charge, just PM me your name, address, city, state, zip, phone and email.

You would get the cable in about 3 days. We sell the cables at our direct cost to all XDA Developer Members.

wukster

Jan 25, 2013
great thread... I just picked up the KF HD 8.9 demo unit myself... I have yet to install the SDK, but please let us know of any developments...

thanks...

KindleFireGuy

Jan 31, 2012
King
Obtain a factory cable. Fastboot flash the system.img,recovery.img and boot.img. Then give me results. Use kindle fire first aid program.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
great thread... I just picked up the KF HD 8.9 demo unit myself... I have yet to install the SDK, but please let us know of any developments...

thanks...

wukster,

The Kindle Fire 8.9" does not need the Factory USB Cable, just use Option 10 in the interface. There is a known Bug in the Kindle Fire 8.9" Bootloader, if you get stuck in Fastboot, let us know, we have the fix.

Please wait until we do some updates on the software and then download it anytime after Monday 8:00am - we are doing critical updates for Kindle Fire 8.9" models.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

Obtain a factory cable. Fastboot flash the system.img,recovery.img and boot.img. Then give me results. Use kindle fire first aid program.

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

KindleFireGuy,

Thank you for the support, for new users here is a link to the Kindle Fire First Aide software:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2096888

Kenji117

May 5, 2011
San Jose
Hi I dont want to hijack your thread or anything but i was wondering if you could possibly help me root my demo unit as well. This one is actually from my store but we dont keep the demos on display and would like to have it for personal use when its just 1 person in the store. (we are located in a mall so we often have just one person in the morning). I would really appreciate it if you could maybe walk me through the steps to get it recognized on adb. I have a KFHD 7". Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Got it to read as "Android Composite ADB Interface" which I believe was the first step to making it work. I need a Factory Cable which from what I understand requires rewiring the B side (or the Micro USB side) of the cable so that the wire is connected to both Pin 4 and Pin 1. If so then I made a make shift one at work today and just need to solder it. Please advise if I have done anything incorrectly. I would also be interested in purchasing a factory cable from you, Prokennexusa, just in case I need it in the future or if I mess up on making mine.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2013
Demo Kindle - Please Help

Hi
Please excuse ,my ignorance but I am struggling to get my kindle fire to work with the software I downloaded. I followed every step in the instructions and all seemed to be going well until I actually attempted to do anything with it.

I got the demo kindle from a shop clearance but cannot get the demo mode removed. I have a factory cable and the kindle goes into 'fastboot' mode with the cable but doesn't seem to behave any differently after the software states it is complete.

I have included some screen dumps of the messages I received, I apologise if I am just being dumb but I am lost?

I would be quite happy to just have a working kindle...I don't need android on it if this makes it more difficult......please help

Thanks in advance

Below is the message I received when I tried option 9 Display Fastboot status

* OK Here We Go, We Are Beginning The Process! *

'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

*Looks Like Fastboot is Enabled *

Press any key to continue . . .

This when I tried option 12 Install Amazon ADB Driver

* OK Here We Go, We Are Beginning The Process! *
* Please Make Sure The Kindle Is Disconnected *
* From USB During The Driver Installation. *

*The Kindle ADB Driver Will Now Launch *
*Please Make Sure You Are Running This *
*Software As An Administrator Otherwise*
* This Process May Fail! *

The system cannot find the path specified.

*The Driver Install Was A Success! Please*
* Plug The Kindle Into USB Using The *
* Original USB Cable That Was Included *
* With The Kindle. This Is The Same USB *
* Cable You Use To Charge The Kindle *

Hey

Cvillah

Mar 14, 2013
Hey

This is My first post and im allittle nervous so......

My girlfriend was cheated out of some money when she bought a Fire Hd 8.9 from some girl. it turned out to be the Demo version.

I was able to remove the demo by going to the app store, it asked to set up wifi so i did that, loading file manager then going online downloading 1market app apk. they asked for permission to allow non market apk to be installed so i granted that.

then i went to amazon downloaded newest version of fire 8.9 placed it on update folder from my file manager.

then i downloaded adw launcher apk from 1market store.

This launcher allowed me to access device from settings and from there i updated my kindle fire. it removed the demo version and now running latest version and no demo.

I did all this after rooting the device but i see no way that this method wont work on non rooted devices.

Only difference is that there is no lock screen on the kindle. but besides that works great......

This answering questions thing is hard please dont ever make me do this again....:eek:

galearned

Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville
Root or reload KFHD 8.9

thanks...

Were you able to root or reload the DEMO unit to a regular tablet?
I have just purchased an 8.9 unit myself and have not seen anyplace for sure if these units can be reworked since ADB is not enabled.

Regards Jery

galearned

Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville
I have a kindle hd 8.9 demo, I do not know if this tool will help

I was able to get the demo 8.9 loaded with the regular Kindle software but, with a slightly different method.

I used Soupmagnet's restore image LINUX script that flashes a pre-rooted 8.9 Kindle version 8.1.4 image to the kindle using fastboot.

http://www.adrive.com/public/xvZeWC/KFHD8.9.restore.zip

While the rest of the demo unit is shut down, fastboot will work if the script is executed prior to plugging in the tablet.
The script will set waiting to see fastboot (waiting for device).
When the tablet is booted up, it passes briefly thorough a fastboot cycle and the script will catch it and keep the tablet in fastboot (pretty much as the KF 1 does). The script then loaded version 8.4.1 and success. You can then download the latest Kindle OS and loose root and be back to a stock configuration or continue and push 2nd bootloader, twrp,etc. and or new ROM.

Success of course depends on having the USB and ADB drivers loaded on LINUX (Using Soupmagnet's soupkit will do that for you).
You will have to try the soupkit again package and see if it will work for you. This package is intended for all kindles I believe.
I had all the drivers loaded using the first soupkit package and the drivers worked to see and communicate with the 8.9 tablet.

Original Soupkit:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1850038
New "Soupkit Again"
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2162986

However, I installed the new "Soupkit Again" package over the first Soupkit package and while the drivers still work, I lost all access to the Soupkit utility itself (which is not used to restore the 8.1.4 image to the Kindle 8.9). A little off topic, but, I would like to know how to get my Soupkit utility back working. (The soupkit.sh script is missing after installing the new "Soupkit Again" over the original Soupkit).