Ubuntu on A101

Search This thread

gomork

Nov 19, 2010
Ive managed to run Ubuntu Netbook Remix on the A101 in SDE.
By run i mean i see GDM, because the driver for the touchscreen seems not to be working.
What ive did was, i took an image from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-netbook/ports/releases/10.10/release/ and copied everything from the data partition to a new .img file. Also ive copied the modules from the angstrom rootfs.img.
Then just copied over my rootfs.img over the angstrom one and booted.

There seems to be lots of issues, mainly, i guess, because the init script in the initrd should do something, the one from angstrom doesnt.
Also the kernel-log says it cant read the /proc/ filesystem.

I uploaded my rootfs img to rapidshare for you to try for yourselfes, maybe someone can pick up from here and build a really working kernel+initramfs.

http://rapidshare.com/users/KVLF41

zahne

Sep 19, 2009
I know it's not working out of the box but it's still pretty cool! IBy netbook remix you mean the new Unity UI correct>

aengelpxl

Sep 1, 2008
Norrköping
www.kwit.tv
I'd love to see some more action with this. A mouse+keyboard should at elast get you access to the desktop and thus, terminal. From there, enabling the touch screen should be within arms reach.

To experiment for myself, could you write together a fool proof (noob proof) guide to get to where you're at?

gomork

Nov 19, 2010
Kudos! - You could just try to plug in a usb mouse/keyboard into the usb port - it's usb host (mouse and keyboard work in android)

i tried that, but it did not work. But that might be because the only Device i have here to test is some wireless usb mouse, which might need some other drivers.

Im currently working on an image with the xserver-xorg-input-evtouch driver built-in. I hope that gets the touchscreen working in X11.

To get started:
Get some Ubuntu.
Install rootstock using: sudo apt-get install rootstock.
Run rootstock:
sudo rootstock --fqdn archos-ubuntu --login ubuntu --password ubuntu --keepimage --imagesize 2G --seed ubuntu-netbook

That one generates an .img file you can copy over your existing rootfs.img.

xrado

Nov 1, 2010
hi,

I'm very interested to get ubuntu working on archos 101

I've tried your instructions to build an image but it stops after:
Setting up software-center (3.0.4) ...
No protocol specified
/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
WARNING:root:Failed to setup dbus (ignoring)
Setting up xul-ext-ubufox (0.9~rc2-0ubuntu5) ...
Setting up ubufox (0.9~rc2-0ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for python-central ...
Setting up xserver-xorg-core (2:1.9.0-0ubuntu7) ...
Setting up gamin (0.1.10-1ubuntu3) ...
Setting up firefox-branding (3.6.10+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu3) ...
Setting up mono-2.0-gac (2.6.7-3ubuntu1) ...
Setting up mono-gac (2.6.7-3ubuntu1) ...
* Installing 3 assemblies from libappindicator0.1-cil into Mono

i had to ctrl+c, because i tas going no where for about an hour.
I guess it needs display ? ..but i don't know how to solve this

xrado

Nov 1, 2010
i did, my first try was with 2Gb, but didn't finish because it went out of space
then I've tried with 3Gb and stoped as i wrote

gomork

Nov 19, 2010
I had that problem too once.. Just trying again might work rootstock seems to be a bit buggy.

A little update: usb-mice work, when the modules are copied in /lib/modules in the image, but only when no computer is connected on the mini-usb port, that was the problem in the first place.

Wlan driver extracted from stock archos android can be loaded too, but i didnt manage to get the firmware to load yet.

Ps: a happy new year to all of you.

Sent from my U20i using XDA App

k1nk33

Oct 4, 2010
Good God, how awesome it'd be to have a USEABLE distro of linux on the 101 or 70. I love using linux (i have linux mint installed on all 3 computers in my home) and it'd be excellent if i could install an embedded version on my tablet, but alas, i'm a plumber not a programmer! So if someone could post a few links or tutorials to get us started ( as i'm sure there are plenty of gen 8 owners who feel the same as me ) it'd be much appreciated.
Q. Does the 101 it have the same hardware components as the 5 it? The reason i ask is that i think there is a working version of ubuntu nbr for this device and im pretty sure it has the same processor as the gen 8 tablets ( cortex arm a8 ).
Q. Would an amature linux geek like me have any hope of porting it over to our device?
Q. Would it work natively or would we need to modify it?
If anyone else has an interest in having ubuntu on their tablet please post as we have to get this bumped up the list of to do's. BTW, thanks to all you guys in advance and best of luck. :)

cheefy

Dec 18, 2010
yes it's just a chroot so you can imagine as a ubuntu running with the android kernel. you could try mux the drivers from the angström to the ubuntu kernel and compile the kernel for arm processors this could work, at least integrating ev-touch will help a lot. search for google for ubuntu4arm and you will find some howto.
the reason why i'm outta this is i have not much time at the moment and without a usable on-screen-keyboard (and at the moment there is none) ubuntu is worthless for me on the tablet.

k1nk33

Oct 4, 2010
Why o why have there been so few posts on this subject? Are we the only one's interested or is it just too much work to get another version of linux on the gen 8 devices? Really not trying to be rude to any of the developers on xda because i think you guys are awesome, really, but could someone please tell us if this is a worthwhile cause or a pure waste of time and effort. :confused:

Top Liked Posts