[TOOL/GUIDE] Full NV Backup and Restore [SIMPLE] [08-03-2012]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Peoplearmy

Jun 3, 2007
Cedar Hill, TX
WOW! This just got even easier! Un-Freakin' - believable, how easy you've made this "Mr. Geek! I just wrote it three times just for practice, and because I was kinda havin' fun for a second there, lol! You guys are so amazing. Thank you so much for all of your hard work on this! Now I've got mine backed up both ways, but with this file saved to my pc, it's so fast to do. I dare somebody to wipe my imei, lmao!

Seriously Geek, you've saved alot of ppl alot of trouble & cash & that's great. You and Peoplearmy both put in alot of work to help so many ppl who couldn't have done it without you, and it's selfless acts of kindness like this that make xda such a fun community! I'll be holding onto my gs3 forever, and I'm really looking forward to learning from fellas like yourself & Peoplearmy!

I also agree with you Androholic that having both backups will be better. For those who have not done both backups and want to here is the link to the other method.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1801997

DX

Reactions: overground

<:GeeK:>

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com
Super simple, thanks! Can't believe that this IMEI issue plagued us and then all of a sudden peoplesarmy figured it out and you immediately released this super simple version. Thanks! Now to install CM10...

Nothing happened all of a sudden. I initially decided that using a PST to recovery IMEI would be the only way to restore it so I made an hacky script to force diag mode, I got busy with work and posted it for people to use and work on the project. Then peoplesarmy used my tool and put some hard hours in playing with qpst and made a nice thread that the community contributed to. There has been a lot of work put into this and now everyone can benefit from it.
Although qpst does work, it is technically warez and using build 323 is a little archaic. I am a phone technician by trade and am very familiar with most of the programs available so I wrapped up the solution making it simple and easy along with only using freeware.

deeznutz1977

Jul 4, 2010
cHARMcity,MD
Nothing happened all of a sudden. I initially decided that using a PST to recovery IMEI would be the only way to restore it so I made an hacky script to force diag mode, I got busy with work and posted it for people to use and work on the project. Then peoplesarmy used my tool and put some hard hours in playing with qpst and made a nice thread that the community contributed to. There has been a lot of work put into this and now everyone can benefit from it.
Although qpst does work, it is technically warez and using build 323 is a little archaic. I am a phone technician by trade and am very familiar with most of the programs available so I wrapped up the solution making it simple and easy along with only using freeware.

thank you so much. xda is awesome and so are geek s:) lol thanks again,super simple.

SiNJiN76

Sep 14, 2009
So, if you've already lost the IMEI...the second set of instructions in the OP will manually push it back to the phone? (if, so...then it doesn't matter if the IMEI is backed up or not, right?)

Oh, and after doing the backup...do we need to go back into the phone setting and change the RMNET+DM+MODEM back to what it was originally (what was it originally? :confused::silly: didn't pay attention) ...or does the reboot take care of that?

Last edited:

<:GeeK:>

Jul 14, 2011
www.UltimateFlasher.com
A backup is recommended for simplicity. Also, a full backup may help solve the data issue if you get it (Not yet confirmed).
You need to set it back to "MTP + ADB" to enable adb/mass storage mode and disable diag.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: ndwgs and SiNJiN76
D

Deleted member 2371530

How can we do a full backup?

D

Deleted member 2371530

;29543040 said:
It's in the op.

"*If you want a FULL backup just read the phone with the default values [Range (Dec): 00000-65535]."

So I'll write 00000 or just leave everything how it is? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol

D

Deleted member 2371530

Last stupid question you'll receive from me today lol, if I loose imei I restore it with the IMEI backup not the full backup and I will get imei back and my 4G?

;29542441 said:
A You need to set it back to "MTP + ADB" to enable adb/mass storage mode and disable diag.

Thanks for this. Backed it up last night but couldn't figure out why I could no longer connect to my phone. You may want to add the above quoted text to the first post.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

May 19, 2010
This is a simple and easy way to backup and restore your IMEI.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE.

2) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM"

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Save item 00550 with NV reader/writer. You can write the backup directly back to the phone.

*If you want a FULL backup just read the phone with the default values [Range (Dec): 00000-65535].

Demonstration video HERE

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

1) make a backup of item 00550 like described above and open with your favorite text editor.

2) Separate your IMEI (find it behind the battery) into blocks of two but with the first digit alone, like this-

=
3 53 02 20 50 23 42 85

3) Now add an "A" after the first digit then reverse the two numbers in all the other blocks, then add a 08 to the beginning. Like this-

3 53 02 20 50 23 42 85
=
08 3A 35 20 02 05 32 24 58

4) Now replace the first nine values in the NV block with your converted IMEI and save the text document.

5) Write the NV back to the phone and then reboot.

Me :p
Peoplearmy
GerardAnthony

Donations: HERE

ATTENTION: I need a copy of someones full backup. Requirements are that you never flashed an AOSP rom (CM9, CM10, AOKP) and that your SGS3 is T-mobile. I need this to work on the data issue!

Doesn't seem to write the new IMEI. Tried to write new IMEI to phone with the txt file that i created from backup but the IMEI is still the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a simple and easy way to backup and restore your GS3's COMPLETE NV items which hold your IMEI, IMSI, Data settings and much more!

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
    b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
    c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
    d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
    e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
    f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
    *To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Capture-sgs3-imei-nv-gen.PNG

Me :p
    cdma-ware
    Peoplearmy
    GerardAnthony
    oriax123

Time and money have been invested into this project so donations are appreciated.

Donations: HERE

ATTENTION: I need a copy of someones full backup. Requirements are that you never flashed an AOSP rom (CM9, CM10, AOKP) and that your SGS3 is T-mobile. I need this to work on the data issue!
    Update: The data issue is still being worked on and some progress has been made but there is still not a solid easy fix. IF YOU MADE A BACKUP THEN GOT THE DATA BUG, PLEASE MAKE A SECOND BACKUP SO THAT I CAN COMPARE THE BEFORE/AFTER!
    Super simple, thanks! Can't believe that this IMEI issue plagued us and then all of a sudden peoplesarmy figured it out and you immediately released this super simple version. Thanks! Now to install CM10...

Everyone,

OP updated with more detailed instructions and removed IMEI only backup since it is pointless thanks to the new "SGS3 IMEI Nvitem Generator".

Hopefully a "Data already corrupt?" section will be added soon, I fixed mine without a backup of my own. I just want to test the method on more phones and confirm it working first.

Thank you,

-GeeK
    Quick Q, do you HAVE to write the backup to the phone?

No, I was just demonstrating the write feature. :p