smart touch key repeat rate

Search This thread

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
Hey

I'm trying to get the HP iPaq 614c in a usable state....what I'm finding is that the Smart-Touch scroll wheel is great, nice and quick and you can be productive.

But, because it is only one way (up <-> down), and because it usually functions as the equivalent of a "tab" key press (if on a PC) you can't use it for moving around in a text block.

You have to use the up down left right method by hovering over 5, then moving your thumb in the appropriate direction...however, the repeat rate on this is slow slow slow......

Its enough to not make me keep the 614c because it means editing SMSs or emails or even just random text fields like URLs is painful, particularly when you make a mistake.

Does anyone know any registry fields to change this?

I've tried the accessible settings in Settings > Buttons > Up/Down Control but they have no effect.

Thanks!

Si

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
I've searched the registry but couldn't fnd anything applicable. I found one key which was reported in another forum, but it had no effect.

EREZYAD

Mar 26, 2007
WAY NOT TAP (WITH FINGER) ON THE AREA AND THEN MOVE L/R :confused:
I THINK YOU NEED TO HAVE "SLOW" MOVMENT FOR SOME APPS/FILES :confused:

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
well that is why I do, like you say. I guess slow movement may be useful for some things.

When you're in the middle of a text message or email though, it can take days to scroll through a message.

Its also very hard to pinpoint the cursor to the right area with out using the stylus (i.e. with your finger nail).....

...part of the beauty of the 614c for me is the phone keypad which allows T9 input (T9 input being super fast compared to any qwerty input with two fingers), but when you can't edit the message very easily it becomes annoying.

EREZYAD

Mar 26, 2007
Im sorry to say that I don’t know/suffer from your prob
not that I do want problems, but the thing is that all text is within the bounds of the screen (for me on long doc/mail....) so the only need for fast thing is up down

maybe you have a different setting that lets you see "out of the screen" ~ the need for fast L/R scrolling :confused:

as for ie tx9 I don’t use this method so ….. I disabled the default settings of having it on first thing :D

for ie address I use pie-plus app ,it has within it's settings option for quick words/address and finger scrolling or open more then one tab etc.

but you asked so I will give you the solution;)
please backup your device

open a reg edit like this free one
http://www.phm.lu/products/PocketPC/RegEdit/

then go to HKLM/software/tegic/et9/ime
tap on D-WORD "carrierDefaultTextMode"
set value from "0" to "1"
enjoy:)

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
for l/r scrolling, what i'm talking about is when you're editing a text message or an email, they can get quite long. so say you're editing a message, then you realise you need to add a word at the start or edit a word in the middle, it takes ages to scroll to the middle or the beginning using the l/r scrolling on the smart touch wheel....and when i say ages, i mean ages, at least compared to how quickly it works on the smartphones with a hard nav joystick/wheel.

it has nothing to do with whether you can see the text on the screen. its to do with moving the caret/cursor/pointer around within the text.

thanks for that registry entry...i did try it, but it made no difference. IE still uses abc method.

i may look at that pie-plus ting though, looks like it may help.

EREZYAD

Mar 26, 2007
forthanks for that registry entry...i did try it, but it made no difference. IE still uses abc method.

i may look at that pie-plus ting though, looks like it may help.

works for me :confused::eek:
did you save the reg by "exit " turn off the device for 10 sec then SR ?
:confused:

any way i will also try to look into the scroll....

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
it changes the default method for applications like Internet Explorer for you? not just SMS composing?

I'll try it again...

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
hey yeah

that did work, thanks!! (making the default mode actually work as default in all circumstances)

i just typed it wrong.

sikittle

Jun 23, 2008
hmmmm.....do you know how to make that keyboard fix work even when you install a 3rd party keyboard.

I was trying to install a finger friendly keyboard for the times when you have to type in passwords or other such delicates, but if i do that after having made that modification it loses it as the default.