[KitKat] [Lollipop] Root XT1039/XT1040 CF-Auto-Root Peregrine By Chainfire

Search This thread

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
CF-Auto-Root Peregrine by Chainfire

I asked chainfire to provide us with a supporting root programme to root the Moto G 4G edition XT1039/XT1040 Peregrine

This will root the Moto G XT1039/XT1040 on KitKat or Lollipop

Instructions
Copy file to pc
Connect phone to PC via USB
Put phone in fastboot mode
Unzip all the files in zip
Run the script depending on what
operating system you are using
Restart phone once done

Optional step
Open the supersu app and update the binary (normal method not recovery)

Download
Chainfires CF-Auto-Root site Here

Notes
You need an unlocked bootloader
You need to unlock your bootloader via the Motorola website before using this!
If you have already unlocked your bootloader in the past it will not format data
This version should do all Peregrine models but use at your own risk

All credit goes to chainfire for making the package
Main CF-Auto-Root XDA thread Here
Main CF-Auto-Root Site Here

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
mooms said:
Thanks you marcussmith2626 (and to Chainfire of course) I have seen the CF AutoRoot the other day and was thinking that the one for XT1003 would surely work for the XT1039/1040/1042/1045, but having one specially made for ours is better.

One thing to know: the recovery is not flashed, only booted (command used is fastboot boot), so no change is made to the (custom) recovery, which is good.

I have already rooted my XT1039 so I do not need to use this but I will use it next time I flash my phone.

I don't know if Chainfire will regularly update these images to update superSU binary, but updating it from Playstore is very easy anyway

Copying quote from the other thread I accidentally double posted to bring everything here

Mitsch79

Jul 16, 2013
Notes
If you havent previously unlocked your bootloader it will format data as it runs the unlock bootloader command

So this means, we do not need the motorola-website to get an unlock code? CF-Root will unlock
the bootloader on its own? Meaning Motorola can never know that the bootloader was unlocked,
if we lock it again?

Greetz

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
So this means, we do not need the motorola-website to get an unlock code? CF-Root will unlock
the bootloader on its own? Meaning Motorola can never know that the bootloader was unlocked,
if we lock it again?

Greetz

No you need to unlock the phone via the Motorola website if you have never unlocked the bootloader before

It means if you have relocked the bootloader since you unlocked it then it will unlock it again

bas-r

Dec 21, 2009
Nijmegen
WIll I be able to update OTA to Lollipop (when it comes available), with this applied?

/EDIT:
I think I have an answer to above question:
To be able to sideload the OTA I will:
1) download and extract the 5.0 factory image
2) fastboot flash boot boot.img
3) fastboot flash system system.img
4) adb sideload The5_0_1OTA.zip

Anyone can confirm this?
I know I will lose root again after following above steps.

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
WIll I be able to update OTA to Lollipop (when it comes available), with this applied?

/EDIT:
I think I have an answer to above question:
To be able to sideload the OTA I will:
1) download and extract the 5.0 factory image
2) fastboot flash boot boot.img
3) fastboot flash system system.img
4) adb sideload The5_0_1OTA.zip

Anyone can confirm this?
I know I will lose root again after following above steps.

Only time will tell if you can update whilst rooted

If you change any apps in system it's unlikely you will be able to
It doesn't change the recovery so you will still have stock recovery

There is an unroot feature in the supersu app but I don't know if this is enough to fully unroot

If all else fails you can always flash stock 4.4.4 and then update

DKCN

May 13, 2010
How to get pass < Waiting for device>

How do you get past the <waiting for device> screen on a mac. I can't seem to overcome that part.

UPDATE:
I've since move on to using a PC instead of a Mac. But now I get:

booting...
FAILED <remote failure>

I also tried unlocking through the motorola website and it tells me I cannot unlock device. Is this normal?

Last edited:

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
How do you get past the <waiting for device> screen on a mac. I can't seem to overcome that part.

UPDATE:
I've since move on to using a PC instead of a Mac. But now I get:

booting...
FAILED <remote failure>

I also tried unlocking through the motorola website and it tells me I cannot unlock device. Is this normal?

You need to unlock your bootloader via the Motorola website before you can use this

Some models on certain carriers cannot be unlocked - see Motorola website for details on unlocking bootloader and if your device can be unlocked

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
Tested on official lollipop for XT1039 23.21.17.peregrine_retgb.retgball.en.GB.retgb and roots it fine
Apps optimize on restart and may restart twice - just wait till its finished booting

TheFixItMan

Jul 8, 2012
London
Can I ask have you a copy of this original lollipop firmware... Or a link... Thanks??

Firmware images have not been released yet

I have a copy of the old ota from the first build (there have been 3 in total) - The difference as far as I can tell is kernel changes and probably better multitasking but its probably best you wait until Motorola pushes it out to everyone

Reactions: dog121

DeX1009

Feb 15, 2012
Napoli
XT1039 received Lollipop last day, can I root my phone with this tool? Can anyone confirm that it will work? Thanks :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Auto-Root Peregrine by Chainfire

I asked chainfire to provide us with a supporting root programme to root the Moto G 4G edition XT1039/XT1040 Peregrine

This will root the Moto G XT1039/XT1040 on KitKat or Lollipop

Instructions
    Copy file to pc
    Connect phone to PC via USB
    Put phone in fastboot mode
    Unzip all the files in zip
    Run the script depending on what
    operating system you are using
    Restart phone once done

Optional step
    Open the supersu app and update the binary (normal method not recovery)

Download
    Chainfires CF-Auto-Root site Here

Notes
    You need to unlock your bootloader via the Motorola website before using this!
    If you have already unlocked your bootloader in the past it will not format data
    This version should do all Peregrine models but use at your own risk

All credit goes to chainfire for making the package
    Main CF-Auto-Root XDA thread Here
    Main CF-Auto-Root Site Here
    if we lock it again?

Greetz

No you need to unlock the phone via the Motorola website if you have never unlocked the bootloader before

It means if you have relocked the bootloader since you unlocked it then it will unlock it again
    Just reporting that it works on XT1040 with lollipop - br version
    Upload sript please ...
    I don't have this script anymore and anyway it was for an older (1+ year) version of CF-Auto-Root.
    Try to remove these lines from root-windows.bat
    Code:
    tools\fastboot-windows.exe flashing unlock 1>NUL 2>NUL
    tools\fastboot-windows.exe flashing unlock 1>NUL 2>NUL
    You can put "rem" at the beginning of the lines to put them as comment and not being executed.
    And as usual use at your own risk.

And don't forget to click the "Thanks!" button if you feel a post is helping you.
    Fixed

I would flash the latest SuperSU zip via TWRP (as always, backup first).

I installed via TWRP and after i checked with root checker but i had to grant root checker in SU. It is rooted now.