How-To [Root][NewLinks] The myTouch 3GS if you updated to Offical 2.2.1 and lost root

Search This thread

velvetelvis

Oct 18, 2009
not working

Step 3: Run ADB and type the following:
adb devices
you should get your devices serial
adb push flash_image /data/local
adb push mtd0.img /data/local
adb shell
#cd /data/local
#chmod 04755 *
#/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

:mad:

can someone ex-plane this better

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
so once you put the flash_image and mtd0.img in your Platform-tools folder, go to your command prompt, change directory to wherever you have your android sdk; then go into your platform-tools folder with command prompt and type in those commands.

assuming you haven't changed android-sdk's name and you're using windows, and you have it in root of C drive, it should look something like this:
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools

then start typing those commands.

inconceeeivable

Dec 11, 2010
I think I found my problem, Do you absolutely have to have an extra SD card ? I have just been using the one that came with my phone. Where I think I'm screwing up is that I am putting on the ESPRIMG and update files on after the goldcard has been made is this the issue ?

Try using the Goldcard Helper app from the Android Market. That's the only way I was able to get the correct CID for the generator.

Copying the files after making the goldcard shouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: thegreenfamily04

thegreenfamily04

Aug 23, 2009
Lakeview
Well, NO dice.... I tried the app and no luck. Any other Ideas ? I do appreciate the help this far If anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it !

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
when i put
it says no such file can anyone help

it depends on where you put your flash_image (and eventually, your mtd0.img) and your current directory. if you have those two files in platform-tools folder, then you have to change your directory to that folder first before you can do your adb push.

austinbrown92

Dec 19, 2010
ok, when i get to this point:
# /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img

i get this as a result:
/data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)
# /data/local/flash_image misc /data/local/mtd0.img
mtd: read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00040000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00060000 (Out of memory)
mtd: read error at 0x00080000 (Out of memory)
mtd: write error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: re-read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: write error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: re-read error at 0x00000000 (Out of memory)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00000000
mtd: write error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: verification error at 0x00020000 (Out of memory)
mtd: wrote block after 1 retries
error writing misc: No space left on device

i uninstalled a couple of things, and it still isnt working. should i factory reset my phone?

EDIT 1: i checked and it says i have 65 MB of storage available.
EDIT 2: i tried factory reset, which im guessing i shouldnt have done, cause now my phone shows the mytouch screen, then resets.

Last edited:

austinbrown92

Dec 19, 2010
Ok, so I got a new myTouch Slide. I updated it to official 2.2, since last time I tried rooting, I basically soft-bricked that phone. Now when I get to where I flash update.zip, I keep getting E: Signature verification fail. I've tried renaming it update, Update, update.zip, and Update.zip, I've tried flashing different recoveries, but I keep getting sigverifail. Would temp rooting and flashing clockwork recovery through ROM Manager work?

ameedi600

Oct 12, 2010
Hi I tried rooting my slide using adb but everytime I try to push the flash_image, it tells me the file is not available. I don't know what I am doing wrong, adb recognizes the phone just fine. Someone please help me

shuka325

Sep 7, 2010
Hi I tried rooting my slide using adb but everytime I try to push the flash_image, it tells me the file is not available. I don't know what I am doing wrong, adb recognizes the phone just fine. Someone please help me

Did you put the flash_image and mtd0.img in the same folder as adb is located?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all i spent 3 days Trying and failing to root the phone and this is my first tutorial if theirs anything i missed please don't hesitate to point it out.

I am Not responsible for any damage, Explosions, Nuclear Holocaust etc. this root method may cause.

Files you will need below:

1. Engineering Recovery package: Download

2. SuperOneClick v1.7: from Here Thanks to CLShortFuse

3. A GoldCard: To easily create a Goldcard in a couple of minutes without ADB skills or commands, check this thread

4. Stock firmware: Download

5.the ClockworkMod Recovery 2.5.0.7 : Download

5. a know how of how to use ADB.
    - There's a good ADB learning guide here: ADB for noobs
    (Thanks steviewevie)

Lets Begin

Step 1: Assuming you already created a gold card place it in your phone and mount it place the Stock Firmware zip and update.zip on root. and unzip Engineering Recovery package and place them in your AndroidSDK in the "Platform-tools" folder.

Step 2: unzip and run SuperOneClick v1.7 and make sure your phone is connected via USB with USB Debugging ON. Now press Shell Root and let it run you should get a success pop up.

Step 3: Run ADB and type the following:
    adb devices
    you should get your devices serial
    adb push mtd0.img /data/local
    adb shell
    cd /data/local
    chmod 04755 *

Step 4: Once complete, power off the TMobile myTouch Slide

Step 5: Hold the Volume Down button while powering on until the device is in bootloader mode.

Step 6: After a minute or so, the device will prompt to see if you want to run the update. Press the Volume Up button to accept & apply the update.
    NOTE: (IF YOU GET A ERROR MSG THAT THE ZIP VERSION IS OLDER THEN THE THE PHONE VERSION YOUR GOLDCARD WAS MADE WRONG!!)

Step 7: Once the device is finished applying the update, it will ask you to reboot. DON'T reboot the device & press the Volume Down button to tell the device not to.

Step 8: Back at the bootloader menu, use Volume Down to highlight Recovery and press the Power button to boot into the recovery.

Step 9: Once in the recovery, you will see a device with a triangle. Press Volume Up & the Power button.

Step 10: Use the Volume Down button to highlight Apply update.zip & press the Power button to select this.

Final Step: After a moment, the TMobile myTouch Slide will boot into the ClockworkMod Recovery.

After that you can now pull battery and insert your main memory card with your desired ROM and Radio Update if you wish and boot into recovery and Happy
    Flashing

Enjoy!! :)
    This is how I achieved root! I guess great minds think alike. :) I was just about to post too, but you beat me to the punch. See the minute I realized with SuperOneClick I could achieve Shell root I could push mtd0.img and flash and then flash the engineering build but you beat me to it! I was thinking about it all day during class and it worked but kudos to you!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
    yes, I did that and typed all the other commands in order, no problems it's just that last one that's giving me the problem

Hmmm, just to be sure, type "ls -l" (those are both lower case L's) in that same directory and post the output.
    I think I found my problem, Do you absolutely have to have an extra SD card ? I have just been using the one that came with my phone. Where I think I'm screwing up is that I am putting on the ESPRIMG and update files on after the goldcard has been made is this the issue ?

Try using the Goldcard Helper app from the Android Market. That's the only way I was able to get the correct CID for the generator.

Copying the files after making the goldcard shouldn't make a difference.
    you got step 2 wrong because you haven't successful with step 1. Make sure you formated your SD card at FAT 32. Then create Gold card again and put your PC connection at Charge only.
    I'm quite certain I followed all the steps. Yes, my card is FAT32. Does it matter if it's formatted in the phone or a PC? I stuck it in a laptop SD slot with a microSD adapter. Is there something about particular cars that cause it to not work?

This still doesn't address the issue of me being unable to flash mtd0.img to misc, since that step comes before flashing ESPRIMG with the goldcard. Should I attempt to do this in recovery, if so, how would I do that?