Guide/List- Best Free & Paid Apps For Your Rooted Device

Search This thread

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
coollogo_com_15960226.jpg

For the people who are always asking about the best apps for their rooted phones I put together a little list/guide to some of the best apps you can try on your rooted Android device! The list is broken into two parts, a free section and a paid section. Free apps that have a paid full version will have a linked note attached. Also, if you know of any apps that you think should go in this list just post a reply with the name of the app.

FR33 R00T APP$

1). Titanium Backup **Pro version available**
Overveiw:
You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app's data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.

2). AdFree
Overveiw:
AdFree removes most ads in the browser and other apps. It does this by nullifying requests to known host names in the system hosts file.

3). Battery Calibration
Overveiw:
Calibrate your battery when you think it's miscalibrated.Calibration needs to be done after flashing a new ROM, but you can calibrate any time you think your battery is miscalibrated. This program does it by removing the batterystats.bin system file. The OS generates a new clean batterystats file soon, thus any fake information from the previous ROM is removed. It's suggested, but not necessary, to let the phone fully discharge after calibration, then charged to 100% without break.
The app shows your actual battery status, and only allows you to start the calibration (i.e. removes the file) when it's fully charged, unless you force earlier calibration.
The voltage meter can be useful too. Full charge is around 4200mV.
There is an option to beep when 100% is reached so you don't have to closley follow the changes.

4). Wireless Tether for Root Users
Overveiw:
Clients (your laptop for example) can connect via wifi or bluetooth and get access to the internet using the mobile connection (4G, 3G, 2G) or (in case you are using bluetooth) the wifi connection which is established by the handset.

5). WifiKill
Overveiw:
Well, with this app you can disable internet connection for a device on the same network. So if someone (anyone) is abusing the internet wasting precious bandwidth for a Justin Bieber videoclips you could just kill their connection and stay happy with a full bandwidth just for yourself.

6). Linda File Manager
Overveiw:
With a relatively simple to use interface it allows you to manage your gallery, wallpapers, applications, SD Card, and even the phones core files! A great alternative to Root Explorer!

8). Smartbench 2012
Overveiw:
With Quadrant Standard Edition beginning to become inaccurate and obsolete from a lack of updates I began on a hunt for a more updated and accurate alternative. Smartbench 2012 is a multi-core friendly benchmark application that measures the overall performance of your smartphone. It reports both Productivity and Games Index to suit both productivity users and 3D gaming users.

9). AnTuTu Benchmark
Overveiw:
Another great alternative to Quadrant Standard Edition. AnTuTu can run a full test of a key project, through the "Memory Performance","CPU Integer Performance","CPU Floating point Performance","2D 3D Graphics Performance","SD card reading/writing speed","Database IO" performance testing on the mobile phone Performance of the hardware to make score.

10). Neocore
Overveiw:
Neocore is an OpenGL-ES 1.1 graphics performance benchmark for Android devices. It shows off some of the techniques that are possible on accelerated platforms such as 1-pass light maps and bump mapping.

11). Android Terminal Emulator
Overveiw:
This application lets you run Linux command line utilities on your Android phone. It is mostly useful for computer programmers. It might also be useful for people who want to explore the Linux internals of their Android phone.

12). ROM Manager **Premium version available**
Overveiw:
ROM Manager is a must have app for any Android root user.
* Flash your recovery to the latest and greatest ClockworkMod recovery.
* Manage your ROMs via a handy UI.
* Organize and perform backups and restores from within Android!
* Install ROMs from your SD card.
* Install your favorite ROMs over the air!

13). SetCPU
Overveiw:
SetCPU is a CPU speed tweaking application for Android. More specifically, it allows control of certain aspects of the Linux cpufreq driver, allowing for overclocking, underclocking, or tweaking speeds and settings on many Android devices.

14). Voodoo Control **Plus version available**
Overveiw:
(For Galaxy S, Nexus S phones, Galaxy Tab and Asus Transformer running custom kernels implementing Voodoo patches)
- improve sound quality
- fix audio issues present in Samsung kernels
- unleash the powerful hi-fi headphone amplifier included in your phone and audiophile-quality DAC..

15). ShootMe
Overveiw:
Take screenshot's of you phone that will be saved to your SD card. Very helpful whether you're just showing off your stylish home screen, showing off your quadrant score, or trying to get help with a visual bug/issue you're having.

Notice- This app is no longer available on the Android Market™. Use the above link to download the app via Rapidshare.

16). DiskUsage
Overveiw:
DiskUsage provides a way to find files and directories on storage card which consume a lot of space. It displays a diagram with directories/subdirectories proportional to their size.

17). CatLog
Overveiw:
"CatLog is an ADB logcat that works directly on your phone without plugging into PC. Handy for non-devs to get a better look inside sdk so that the devs can know what is really going on, cause we don't always explain ourselves the best." -Woodrube

18). CacheCleaner NG
Overveiw:
CacheCleaner allows you to remove all the cache files from the internal memory and (optionally) from the SD card.
It runs either on-demand, or at scheduled times.
The list of cleaned applications can be selected, for example to prevent Google Maps' cached maps from being removed for offline use

19). LBE Privacy Guard
Overveiw:
With the state-of-the-art API interception technology, LBE Privacy Guard provides great enhancement to Android permission system, now the first time you are able to:
- Protect your privacy by controlling the permission of each application to access your sensitive data.
- Block malicious operation from Mal-wares and Trojans.
- Block unwanted network traffic if you don’t have a unlimited data plan.
- Find out which application is trying to steal your privacy by checking the security log.
- And even more...

20). Screencast Video Recorder FREE **Full version available**
Overveiw:
Screencast captures your phone screen at high frame rates into a high quality MPEG4 video. It can also take snapshots of your screen and save it as a bmp file. This app is a demo and can only record up to 20 sec of video. To unlock this limitation you'll have to purchase the full version.

21). MetaMorph **Pro version available**
Overveiw:
MetaMorph allows you to theme, patch, and mod your phone by adding or changing files on your system and apps.

22). Quick Boot (Reboot) **Plus version available**
Overveiw:
Quickly and easily reboot your device, power off your device, or boot your device into recovery or bootloader mode. Create shortcuts / widgets on your home screen to boot with one click.

23). SSH Tunnel
Overveiw:
Surf the Web Privately and Securely with SSH Tunnel.

P@1D R00T APP$

1). Autostarts
Overveiw:
Keep control over your phone: See what applications do behind your back.
Shows you what apps run on phone startup, and what other events trigger in the background. Root users can disable unwanted autostarts and speed up their phone boot.

2). Root Explorer (File Manager)
Overveiw:
Access the whole of android's file system (including the data folder!).
Features include SQLite database viewer, Text Editor, create and extract zip or tar/gzip files, extract rar archives, multi-select, execute scripts, search, remount, permissions, bookmarks, send files (via email, bluetooth etc), image thumbnails, APK binary XML viewer, change file owner/group, create symbolic link, "Open With" facility, MD5.

POST A REPLY WITH ANY APPS YOU FEEL BELONG IN THIS LIST!

Attachments

• coollogo_com_15960226.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,245
Last edited:

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
DiskUsage will show you in graphical form a breakdown of your internal and external disk as well as your partitions like /system, /data, /dbdata, /sys,...pretty much any storage you have plus you can long-press the entry and it takes you right to that app's settings to say maybe clear cache or data. Also has non-root functions (but what fun is that).

ShootMe will take screen shots and save them to your sdcard. Handy for showing off, helping someone else with info (like showing app permissions or something along those lines) or showing what is wrong/happening so it can be properly diagnosed.

CatLog is an ADB logcat that works directly on your phone without plugging into PC. Handy for non-devs to get a better look inside sdk so that the devs can know what is really going on, cause we don't always explain ourselves the best.

Reactions: N00B_IN_N33D

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Thanks, will be adding all three to the list. Can't believe I forgot "ShootMe", I guess since MIUI has its own built in screen shot taker (options button + bottom volume) I had put it to the back of my mind.

Edit: By the way, I like your description of LogCat. I will be using that as it's overveiw, quoted, in the above list.

Last edited:

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Speaktoit Assistant

I wanted to share this really cool app I found on the market the other day. Root isn't necessary for it which is why I'm posting it here and not above in the guide/list, it's called "Speaktoit Assistant" and it's the Android Equivalent of Siri but better! Check it out, it is completely free!!!

Another pretty cool virtual assistant is called "Vlingo Virtual Assistant", it is also free but in my opinion it isn't as in depth and neat as Speaktoit. Check out the video below to get an idea of what Speaktoit is all about...

Siri (iPhone 4s) vs Speaktoit for Android:

Credits- I did not make this video. Credit goes to robifis for the video.

Note- This video is slightly outdated, Speaktoit as been updated a few times since the time the video was posted. This is what has been updated...

1. Some listening issues are fixed
2. Improved geolocation
3. Smoother conversation history swiping
4. A few other minor (but also important) bugs are fixed

Last edited:

N00B_IN_N33D

May 27, 2011
Pompano Beach
Autostarts

https://market.android.com/details?...vbS5lbHNkb2VyZmVyLmFuZHJvaWQuYXV0b3N0YXJ0cyJd

Shows you what apps run on phone startup, and what other events trigger in the background. Root users can disable unwanted autostarts and speed up their phone boot.
Very interesting app. However this list is really meant for free apps only... But you know what, I think I'll be changing that.

Update: Guide now includes both free and paid root apps!

Last edited:
Reactions: RootzFan

RootzFan

Jan 3, 2012
Very interesting app. However this list is really meant for free apps only... But you know what, I think I'll be changing that.

Update: Guide now includes both free and paid root apps!

Apologies, glazed right over that. Glad to see you put Root Explorer up automagically. That app is amazing.

Now that the list is expanded (sorry), you may want to add Titanium Backup paid and note that the scripts run automatically (no pressing install/done, etc) and runs a LOT faster... other features too, but that is the main attraction.

Rom Manager paid is nice too, but perhaps not needed for people on xda.

rationalmind

Jan 2, 2012
Phoenix
Root Explorer works better than Root Browser in Rome Toolbox.

Besides, I always get reboot when I try to UV in Rom Toolbox.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

kaiser_bun

Sep 25, 2010

QFT. Love that as a freebie File explorer. Let's you mount the file system (if rooted) for edits to those prop and config files if you're so inclined with all that.

N00B - Thanks for the link to Shoot Me. I've been switching back and forth between ICS and Froyo builds, and have the vol down + power screenshot action in ICS really spoiled me to quick and easy screen caps. Glad to see something is out there to fit the bill :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For the people who are always asking about the best apps for their rooted phones I put together a little list/guide to some of the best apps you can try on your rooted Android device! The list is broken into two parts, a free section and a paid section. Free apps that have a paid full version will have a linked note attached. Also, if you know of any apps that you think should go in this list just post a reply with the name of the app.

FR33 R00T APP$

1). Titanium Backup **Pro version available**
    Overveiw:
    You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app's data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.

2). AdFree
    Overveiw:
    AdFree removes most ads in the browser and other apps. It does this by nullifying requests to known host names in the system hosts file.

3). Battery Calibration
    Overveiw:
    Calibrate your battery when you think it's miscalibrated.Calibration needs to be done after flashing a new ROM, but you can calibrate any time you think your battery is miscalibrated. This program does it by removing the batterystats.bin system file. The OS generates a new clean batterystats file soon, thus any fake information from the previous ROM is removed. It's suggested, but not necessary, to let the phone fully discharge after calibration, then charged to 100% without break.
    The app shows your actual battery status, and only allows you to start the calibration (i.e. removes the file) when it's fully charged, unless you force earlier calibration.
    The voltage meter can be useful too. Full charge is around 4200mV.
    There is an option to beep when 100% is reached so you don't have to closley follow the changes.

4). Wireless Tether for Root Users
    Overveiw:
    Clients (your laptop for example) can connect via wifi or bluetooth and get access to the internet using the mobile connection (4G, 3G, 2G) or (in case you are using bluetooth) the wifi connection which is established by the handset.

5). WifiKill
    Overveiw:
    Well, with this app you can disable internet connection for a device on the same network. So if someone (anyone) is abusing the internet wasting precious bandwidth for a Justin Bieber videoclips you could just kill their connection and stay happy with a full bandwidth just for yourself.

6). Linda File Manager
    Overveiw:
    With a relatively simple to use interface it allows you to manage your gallery, wallpapers, applications, SD Card, and even the phones core files! A great alternative to Root Explorer!

8). Smartbench 2012
    Overveiw:
    With Quadrant Standard Edition beginning to become inaccurate and obsolete from a lack of updates I began on a hunt for a more updated and accurate alternative. Smartbench 2012 is a multi-core friendly benchmark application that measures the overall performance of your smartphone. It reports both Productivity and Games Index to suit both productivity users and 3D gaming users.

9). AnTuTu Benchmark
    Overveiw:
    Another great alternative to Quadrant Standard Edition. AnTuTu can run a full test of a key project, through the "Memory Performance","CPU Integer Performance","CPU Floating point Performance","2D 3D Graphics Performance","SD card reading/writing speed","Database IO" performance testing on the mobile phone Performance of the hardware to make score.

10). Neocore
    Overveiw:
    Neocore is an OpenGL-ES 1.1 graphics performance benchmark for Android devices. It shows off some of the techniques that are possible on accelerated platforms such as 1-pass light maps and bump mapping.

11). Android Terminal Emulator
    Overveiw:
    This application lets you run Linux command line utilities on your Android phone. It is mostly useful for computer programmers. It might also be useful for people who want to explore the Linux internals of their Android phone.

12). ROM Manager **Premium version available**
    Overveiw:
    ROM Manager is a must have app for any Android root user.
    * Flash your recovery to the latest and greatest ClockworkMod recovery.
    * Manage your ROMs via a handy UI.
    * Organize and perform backups and restores from within Android!
    * Install ROMs from your SD card.
    * Install your favorite ROMs over the air!

13). SetCPU
    Overveiw:
    SetCPU is a CPU speed tweaking application for Android. More specifically, it allows control of certain aspects of the Linux cpufreq driver, allowing for overclocking, underclocking, or tweaking speeds and settings on many Android devices.

14). Voodoo Control **Plus version available**
    Overveiw:
    (For Galaxy S, Nexus S phones, Galaxy Tab and Asus Transformer running custom kernels implementing Voodoo patches)
    - improve sound quality
    - fix audio issues present in Samsung kernels
    - unleash the powerful hi-fi headphone amplifier included in your phone and audiophile-quality DAC..

15). ShootMe
    Overveiw:
    Take screenshot's of you phone that will be saved to your SD card. Very helpful whether you're just showing off your stylish home screen, showing off your quadrant score, or trying to get help with a visual bug/issue you're having.

Notice- This app is no longer available on the Android Market™. Use the above link to download the app via Rapidshare.

16). DiskUsage
    Overveiw:
    DiskUsage provides a way to find files and directories on storage card which consume a lot of space. It displays a diagram with directories/subdirectories proportional to their size.

17). CatLog
    Overveiw:
    "CatLog is an ADB logcat that works directly on your phone without plugging into PC. Handy for non-devs to get a better look inside sdk so that the devs can know what is really going on, cause we don't always explain ourselves the best." -Woodrube

18). CacheCleaner NG
    Overveiw:
    CacheCleaner allows you to remove all the cache files from the internal memory and (optionally) from the SD card.
    It runs either on-demand, or at scheduled times.
    The list of cleaned applications can be selected, for example to prevent Google Maps' cached maps from being removed for offline use

19). LBE Privacy Guard
    Overveiw:
    With the state-of-the-art API interception technology, LBE Privacy Guard provides great enhancement to Android permission system, now the first time you are able to:
    - Protect your privacy by controlling the permission of each application to access your sensitive data.
    - Block malicious operation from Mal-wares and Trojans.
    - Block unwanted network traffic if you don’t have a unlimited data plan.
    - Find out which application is trying to steal your privacy by checking the security log.
    - And even more...

20). Screencast Video Recorder FREE **Full version available**
    Overveiw:
    Screencast captures your phone screen at high frame rates into a high quality MPEG4 video. It can also take snapshots of your screen and save it as a bmp file. This app is a demo and can only record up to 20 sec of video. To unlock this limitation you'll have to purchase the full version.

21). MetaMorph **Pro version available**
    Overveiw:
    MetaMorph allows you to theme, patch, and mod your phone by adding or changing files on your system and apps.

22). Quick Boot (Reboot) **Plus version available**
    Overveiw:
    Quickly and easily reboot your device, power off your device, or boot your device into recovery or bootloader mode. Create shortcuts / widgets on your home screen to boot with one click.

23). SSH Tunnel
    Overveiw:
    Surf the Web Privately and Securely with SSH Tunnel.

P@1D R00T APP$

1). Autostarts
    Overveiw:
    Keep control over your phone: See what applications do behind your back.

2). Root Explorer (File Manager)
    Overveiw:
    Access the whole of android's file system (including the data folder!).
    Features include SQLite database viewer, Text Editor, create and extract zip or tar/gzip files, extract rar archives, multi-select, execute scripts, search, remount, permissions, bookmarks, send files (via email, bluetooth etc), image thumbnails, APK binary XML viewer, change file owner/group, create symbolic link, "Open With" facility, MD5.

POST A REPLY WITH ANY APPS YOU FEEL BELONG IN THIS LIST!
    No need to apologize. Things happen and it's cool. The list needed to be more open anyhow.

Also, I will be updating the list to include a description of Titanium Backup pro and other pro, plus, or full app versions.
    DiskUsage will show you in graphical form a breakdown of your internal and external disk as well as your partitions like /system, /data, /dbdata, /sys,...pretty much any storage you have plus you can long-press the entry and it takes you right to that app's settings to say maybe clear cache or data. Also has non-root functions (but what fun is that).

ShootMe will take screen shots and save them to your sdcard. Handy for showing off, helping someone else with info (like showing app permissions or something along those lines) or showing what is wrong/happening so it can be properly diagnosed.

CatLog is an ADB logcat that works directly on your phone without plugging into PC. Handy for non-devs to get a better look inside sdk so that the devs can know what is really going on, cause we don't always explain ourselves the best.
    CacheCleaner NG is a must!

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium
    Autostarts

https://market.android.com/details?...vbS5lbHNkb2VyZmVyLmFuZHJvaWQuYXV0b3N0YXJ0cyJd