Droid 4 fastboot files?

Search This thread

twizzles

Mar 4, 2012
Where do these fastboot files come from? Im new and trying to figure out how all this works. Thanks

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

Dave Lister

Feb 16, 2010
Where do these fastboot files come from? Im new and trying to figure out how all this works. Thanks

They come from Motorola. However, they are not files that would normally be released to the public, so we have to wait and see if someone is nice enough to leak them for us.

Reactions: twizzles

gnoitall

Jan 24, 2011
Omaha, NE
How long?

They come from Motorola. However, they are not files that would normally be released to the public, so we have to wait and see if someone is nice enough to leak them for us.

I've heard the equivalent experience with the Droid Razr fastboot restore file used around here and other fora as support for the idea that the D4 restore should be leaking soon. What I've never heard was how long it took from release of the phone to a leaked usable restore. I'm deferring taking my bricked Droid 4 back to the store and playing dumb to try to get a warranty exchange in hopes I can just unbrick my phone sometime in the coming days or maybe weeks.

Sparkimus

Sep 21, 2010
Summerville, GA
I've heard the equivalent experience with the Droid Razr fastboot restore file used around here and other fora as support for the idea that the D4 restore should be leaking soon. What I've never heard was how long it took from release of the phone to a leaked usable restore. I'm deferring taking my bricked Droid 4 back to the store and playing dumb to try to get a warranty exchange in hopes I can just unbrick my phone sometime in the coming days or maybe weeks.

I'll in the same boat. I soft-bricked my D4 earlier this week and I feel like trying to swap it would be wrong. I messed it up, so I should fix it. I just have to play the waiting game.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

gnoitall

Jan 24, 2011
Omaha, NE
I did a little google-fu and calendar math and came up with an answer to my earlier question about how long it took for the Droid Razr to have a leaked fastboot file.

That phone was released on 11 November 2011. Its fastboot recovery appeared here on 29 December the same year. That's 48 days.

48 days after the release of the Droid 4 (February 10th) was March 29th. That was 11 days ago.

So, the example of the Droid Razr leaked fastboot is interesting, but not necessarily insightful. It's already taken longer than it did for the Razr.

Sigh.

Sparkimus

Sep 21, 2010
Summerville, GA
Here's a scarier thought. The Droid Bionic was released in September, and fastboot files didn't leak until February. Hopefully it won't take much longer! I'm very close to just using my spare upgrade to get a RAZR MAXX, or maybe the Droid Fighter that is supposed to come out soon.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Not true, we had Bionic fastboot files for the stock release within a couple weeks.

This is actually very unusual that we have not seen them yet for this phone.

Sparkimus

Sep 21, 2010
Summerville, GA
Ah, my bad. I should have looked into that further. The article I read about it made it seem like the ones that leaked in February were the first.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
I could really use this right about now. Can't seem to figure out why my OTA update is failing and I'd love to be able to revert to stock and then apply it, if only I had the fastboot file =(

Dave Lister

Feb 16, 2010
I could really use this right about now. Can't seem to figure out why my OTA update is failing and I'd love to be able to revert to stock and then apply it, if only I had the fastboot file =(

Download the update (do a Google search for the link) and put it on your SD card. Boot into recovery and apply the update. It will tell you where it's failing. You'll probably need to get a stock system dump and copy over any files that are missing/altered, making sure to change the permissions and owner if necessary.

jy3ng4

Mar 4, 2010
Download the update (do a Google search for the link) and put it on your SD card. Boot into recovery and apply the update. It will tell you where it's failing. You'll probably need to get a stock system dump and copy over any files that are missing/altered, making sure to change the permissions and owner if necessary.
Thanks...I would have done this but I don't have an external SD and for some reason the update won't apply if it's from internal storage.

EDIT: Got it working! Turns out my system/build.prop file was the culprit. I replaced it with a stock build.prop file, fixed the permissions, and then the update succeeded.

Last edited:

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
There is a link in the Eternity Project thread in the Dev section for fastboot files! I just downloaded it, but haven't tried using it yet. Someone with a bricked D4 wanna try these out?

gnoitall

Jan 24, 2011
Omaha, NE
There is a link in the Eternity Project thread in the Dev section for fastboot files! I just downloaded it, but haven't tried using it yet. Someone with a bricked D4 wanna try these out?
I will, later today. When I checked the link earlier, it was a 404 at the download site, but I have the page bookmarked at The Eternity Project and will give it a swing this evening (US Central time). My D4 is about as bootlooped as it gets, so I think I'm a prime candidate for this.

I really really really hope this works. My D4 has been bricked for weeks. :(

Reactions: kwyrt

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
I was able to download the file so it looks like the link must be fixed. I look forward to hearing if it works for you! My D4 is running fine so I'm a little hesitant to try it out myself.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
I was able to download the file so it looks like the link must be fixed. I look forward to hearing if it works for you! My D4 is running fine so I'm a little hesitant to try it out myself.

Me too, though I do believe these things have to be signed or they won't flash, so theoretically there shouldn't be much risk for us :D

This really has made my day. I remember back when I first got my OG Droid, I somehow managed to screw up EVERYTHING in the first week (CWM and ROM), so being able to bring the phone back to life via RSDLite was awesome.

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Me too, though I do believe these things have to be signed or they won't flash, so theoretically there shouldn't be much risk for us :D

This really has made my day. I remember back when I first got my OG Droid, I somehow managed to screw up EVERYTHING in the first week (CWM and ROM), so being able to bring the phone back to life via RSDLite was awesome.

Made my day too. Saved my butt on my D2 more than once. Magic files that bring your phone back from the dead!

gnoitall

Jan 24, 2011
Omaha, NE
Well, I was definitely one of the bricked ones, but as you can tell from my signature, I'm not bricked anymore. The fastboot file worked flawlessly. :cool:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I will, later today. When I checked the link earlier, it was a 404 at the download site, but I have the page bookmarked at The Eternity Project and will give it a swing this evening (US Central time). My D4 is about as bootlooped as it gets, so I think I'm a prime candidate for this.

I really really really hope this works. My D4 has been bricked for weeks. :(