[CM9 beta] Battery Optimization Discussion

Search This thread

MДЯCЦSДИT

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 21, 2010
SMS does not require data, if that was the case non smart phones would not be able to send text messages. You can shut all data off and still receive text messages. Airplane mode shuts data and cell service it completely disconnects you. Thus its called AIRPLANE mode because cell phone is not permitted when in the air.

Sent from my MTD Epic 4G SGS using Tapatalk

You can call 911 in airplane mode :p

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA

Reactions: Ragnar

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
Exactly so if they can't answer this if data is off how can anything be pushed or received? You can't push emails through without internet hence data

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

That's what I was trying to say you can not get email with data off but SMS you can because SMS does not use the data radio it uses the radio that handles calls. Email isn't meant to be used for instant communication (doesn't stop people from using it that way) but if you like to stay on top of your email then scheduled toggling data would push the email notifications as soon as data is turned on. Hopefully this answers your question/concern.

csmartly

Jun 3, 2008
@StoneRyno if am in office, no problem. i can keep data off. but I am talking about on the move. the battery drains faster. Currently I am on Mortify ROM. It lasts much longer than CM. By late night, its still has about 20% left. while on CM, by 5 or 6, i need to recharge. I can understand +/- 10% but currently there is simply no comparison between CM and other ROMs for battery. period.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
You are correct. If you use your phone exactly the same way as a TW ROM or CM7 with notifications, sound, haptic, etc...the battery is worse. It is still a Beta but the battery gets better with every release. Will it ever be the same as other ROMs? Who knows. But we appreciate the CM team for bringing us ICS and paving the way for all the Kang choices.

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
That's what I was trying to say you can not get email with data off but SMS you can because SMS does not use the data radio it uses the radio that handles calls. Email isn't meant to be used for instant communication (doesn't stop people from using it that way) but if you like to stay on top of your email then scheduled toggling data would push the email notifications as soon as data is turned on. Hopefully this answers your question/concern.

OK So again if sms doesn't use radio then when you turn off the radio hence airplane mode it doesn't send, so no you need to further explain because you cant push anything without data.

Because when data is off the radio is still on, once the radio goes off you cant send sms

Ex. If i want to go to a different page on the internt but my interent goes off(basically no data sent or received) i cant go anywhere and it wont find the web page.

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
OK So again if sms doesn't use radio then when you turn off the radio hence airplane mode it doesn't send, so no you need to further explain because you cant push anything without data.

Because when data is off the radio is still on, once the radio goes off you cant send sms

Ex. If i want to go to a different page on the internt but my interent goes off(basically no data sent or received) i cant go anywhere and it wont find the web page.

You can turn off data without going into airplane mode. I think this is where your getting confused. We aren't talking about airplane mode, we're talking about turning off data only. SMS does "not" require data. Point blank, there's no argument. Your wrong.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ragnar

AproSamurai

Jul 4, 2010
Van Nuys, CA
github.com
You can turn off data without going into airplane mode. I think this is where your getting confused. We aren't talking about airplane mode, we're talking about turning off data only. SMS does "not" require data. Point blank, there's no argument. Your wrong.

If there's a will there's a way, I'm sure he'll find something else to debate you and others on, without a doubt. Argument from ignorance is a human condition, we all exert it at one point or another. Some more than others, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that, could be confusion as well to give him the benefit of the doubt. The airplane mode thing is rather understandable. The proving people wrong to attempt be right thing, not so much.

But opinion is opinion is opinion.

(Commas in odd places, laziness/sleepiness permits me to act like I didn't do that lol)

Reactions: ac16313

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
If there's a will there's a way, I'm sure he'll find something else to debate you and others on, without a doubt. Argument from ignorance is a human condition, we all exert it at one point or another. Some more than others, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that, could be confusion as well to give him the benefit of the doubt. The airplane mode thing is rather understandable. The proving people wrong to attempt be right thing, not so much.

But opinion is opinion is opinion.

(Commas in odd places, laziness/sleepiness permits me to act like I didn't do that lol)

No this is complete bullsh*t you guys aren't understanding me at all I'm not arguing I'm confused, stop accusing me of trying to argue. If you'd listen you'd understand. Data off means radio still is on which means you can't get on the internet but you can send a sms but how??? When I say airplane mode that turns off the radio completely, so now you can't even make a sms. So if data is off how am I sending a sms what does it do to get through? For example you can't connect to the internet if your modem is off.

So please explain how the hell its sending a message when data is off. I'm trying to understand this, not argue

MДЯCЦSДИT

Nov 21, 2010
No this is complete bullsh*t you guys aren't understanding me at all I'm not arguing I'm confused, stop accusing me of trying to argue. If you'd listen you'd understand. Data off means radio still is on which means you can't get on the internet but you can send a sms but how??? When I say airplane mode that turns off the radio completely, so now you can't even make a sms. So if data is off how am I sending a sms what does it do to get through? For example you can't connect to the internet if your modem is off.

So please explain how the hell its sending a message when data is off. I'm trying to understand this, not argue

SMS is like a call. It sends waves over the telephony network that get translated into text when received. Data is large sized files and bytes being transferred over a different network because the telephony network can not handle it thus why text messages are limited to 160 chars. Text is small enough to send over telephony and data will 'not fit'. SMS has been around way before mobile data. Emails are sent over data because they are made to send long text or images over the internet and not made for short messages that fit in the telephony network.

Last edited:

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC
SMS is like a call. It sends waves over the telephony network that get translated into text when received. Data is large sized files and bytes being transferred over a different network because the telephony network can not handle it thus why text messages are limited to 160 chars. Text is small enough to send over telephony and data will 'not fit'. SMS has been around way before mobile data. Emails are sent over data because they are made to send long text or images over the internet and not made for short messages that fit in the telephony network.

Thank you for the explantion was it so hard for them to do that. Now that's cleared up let's move on we got off topic and I know there's off topic patrol that will get mad lol. But thanks that was all that was needed to be said.

Zeinzu

Aug 18, 2010
Manchester
www.sdx-developers.com
Anything that pushes something over the air haha needs data.

SMS does require data as well as MMS. turn your mobile data off and WiFi off and watch nothing will get sent. Some apps dont require Carrier data but atleast WiFi needs it enabled to push it. & If you want something that toggles a data schedule for you for certain apps is Juice Defender

Airplane mode is on no sms gets gets puhed at all with data on it does, with data off but the fm radio is still on yes but isn't that considered data being off

Exactly so if they can't answer this if data is off how can anything be pushed or received? You can't push emails through without internet hence data

Thank you for the explantion was it so hard for them to do that. Now that's cleared up let's move on we got off topic and I know there's off topic patrol that will get mad lol. But thanks that was all that was needed to be said.

This is you not arguing and just trying to understand.

I want you to read back through your posts and be honest with yourself.

Your right however, this is somewhat off topic. Who brought it off topic? Ask yourself that after re-reading your own posts.

Stop using others giving you the benefit of the doubt saying you "might be confused" as a crutch to why you were arguing a point you were completely wrong on while telling others with much more experience and knowledge that they are wrong.

Stop using "off topic discussion" as a crutch to why if your wrong about something you were arguing that it must immediately be dropped so you can simply say you were just confused and not just incorrect.

Stop claiming it's others who should have made this easy and just explained to you "how". You didn't really ask how till the end, you just kept saying we were wrong.

You really, really need to learn how to articulate thoughts. I'm not saying have proper grammar shook the time, but have you ever actually read your own posts back to yourself? A lot of **** you say is damn near impossible to discipher.

Admit your wrong when your wrong, hell I know I've been wrong about **** on these and other forums plenty. Learn more, become more knowledgable, be open to others who have more experience and knowledge about these things than you do. Yes dude, trust that developers and people who work with this kind of **** on a level higher than "I can flash this mod to my phone" might actually have more knowledge than you when it comes to Android software and hardware.

You've been around long enough, bro. There's really no more excuses.

I won't post again if you reply cause as I said you are right, this is off topic, and I've succeeded in taking it farther off topic. You just need to hear some of these things, and so I'm telling you since I've experienced these things with you for going on 3-4 years now since you got your Samsung Moment.

Tylonhh

May 26, 2011
Hamburg
deleted_wake_locks

Hi,
so how can I avoid deleted_wake_locks. Its the top1 in my draining battery stats.
CM9 20120326.

sinverely

XxLostSoulxX

May 22, 2010
Charlotte, NC

Your right however, this is somewhat off topic. Who brought it off topic? Ask yourself that after re-reading your own posts.

Stop using others giving you the benefit of the doubt saying you "might be confused" as a crutch to why you were arguing a point you were completely wrong on while telling others with much more experience and knowledge that they are wrong.

Stop using "off topic discussion" as a crutch to why if your wrong about something you were arguing that it must immediately be dropped so you can simply say you were just confused and not just incorrect.

Stop claiming it's others who should have made this easy and just explained to you "how". You didn't really ask how till the end, you just kept saying we were wrong.

You really, really need to learn how to articulate thoughts. I'm not saying have proper grammar shook the time, but have you ever actually read your own posts back to yourself? A lot of **** you say is damn near impossible to discipher.

Admit your wrong when your wrong, hell I know I've been wrong about **** on these and other forums plenty. Learn more, become more knowledgable, be open to others who have more experience and knowledge about these things than you do. Yes dude, trust that developers and people who work with this kind of **** on a level higher than "I can flash this mod to my phone" might actually have more knowledge than you when it comes to Android software and hardware.

I won't post again if you reply cause as I said you are right, this is off topic, and I've succeeded in taking it farther off topic. You just need to hear some of these things, and so I'm telling you since I've experienced these things with you for going on 3-4 years now since you got your Samsung Moment.

You know what's funny I was asking how I didn't come out and spoon fed to everyone but I was asking I said explain a thousand times, yes to be honest I was getting a little arguemenive but who wouldn't when they keep avoiding to explain, and yes we've known each other for a while and in my view its been great there have been some off times, and I been wrong several thousand times I'm learning like you just said but how can I learn when someone won't provide the answer or info when asked is all without getting too far off topic?

And sorry when I might say something it may seem hard to discipher but when I write my thoughts they come out really deep I guess, but when I talk to you in person its more clear and much understandable

StoneRyno

Oct 29, 2011
@StoneRyno if am in office, no problem. i can keep data off. but I am talking about on the move. the battery drains faster. Currently I am on Mortify ROM. It lasts much longer than CM. By late night, its still has about 20% left. while on CM, by 5 or 6, i need to recharge. I can understand +/- 10% but currently there is simply no comparison between CM and other ROMs for battery. period.

On the move use an app like JD to toggle data automatically say every 15 minutes. That way any email sent to you will get pushed and still keep data off nearly all of the time. For example I'm currently testing data on for 15 seconds every 15 minutes interval. I'll be doing so for a few days to conclude the info I'm monitoring. The best comparisons to other ROMs would be other ICS ones but knowing the variance between GB ROMs and CM9 as well is a good idea as it is something people are interested in knowing. Which is why I provided my findings from lengthy tracking using my epic. But drastic differences between one ROM and another (ex half as much 12 hours instead of 24) indicates to me there is more going on that just variation between ROMs; since in my experience and many others that simply is not happening. Which is why we are trying to provide ways for those to identify the cause.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough in my previous reply, but isn't that what I explained in the quoted section of it?

SMS does not use the data radio it uses the radio that handles calls.

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Has anyone found a solution for mmc_delayed_work wakelocks? Spent 3 hours backing up, formatting, and restoring my sd card, turned off LED notifications, touch tone sounds, set wifi to only when plugged in yet this wakelock shows up for 30 minutes in 10 hours. My display time is only 25 minutes. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Sent from my PantechP4100 using xda premium

csmartly

Jun 3, 2008
On the move use an app like JD to toggle data automatically say every 15 minutes. That way any email sent to you will get pushed and still keep data off nearly all of the time. For example I'm currently testing data on for 15 seconds every 15 minutes interval. I'll be doing so for a few days to conclude the info I'm monitoring. The best comparisons to other ROMs would be other ICS ones but knowing the variance between GB ROMs and CM9 as well is a good idea as it is something people are interested in knowing. Which is why I provided my findings from lengthy tracking using my epic. But drastic differences between one ROM and another (ex half as much 12 hours instead of 24) indicates to me there is more going on that just variation between ROMs; since in my experience and many others that simply is not happening. Which is why we are trying to provide ways for those to identify the cause.

whether on GB or CM9, my usage is 95% is identical. even before switching back to GB based ROM, i was on CM9 from Alpha 1. The apps/games all are identical on both and GB has more apps.

I would like to share my yesterday's experience. I was at client's place where network was not proper. I was there from 10 till 4 and still battery was showing 40% when I left from there. Next time, I will check with CM9.

wtogami

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 6, 2010
Android 4.0.4 improved battery life

EyrkLSWp

Android 4.0.4 in CM9 beta1-test-4.0.4 seems to have improved my battery life. This screenshot is after 12 hours since unplugging. CPU Spy is showing 89% deep sleep.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Battery Optimization Discussion Thread
    CM9 beta: Android 4.0.3 for Samsung Epic 4G

This thread is ONLY to discuss issues related to power management and battery life on CM9 on the Epic 4G. Battery tips are regularly summarized in the official Battery Optimization Guide. Please read the guide before posting to this thread.

CM9 Discussion Threads
    If you notice especially high battery drain and recently used your GPS or Camera they can occasionally stay on with no visible signs. Also please remember the battery stats is HIGHLY inaccurate. A Phone reboot usually fixes this.

Never keep apps like Skype, IRC, etc that stay running and keep your CPU on they drain battery especially fast!

One big battery saver is to not wake your phone to just check the time. Let the CPU stay in deep-sleep as long as possible to preserve power until you actually need your phone for something.

One MAJOR thing to save power is DO NOT MESS WITH CPU SETTINGS!
    Do not use 3rd party apps like Voltage Control or SetCPU or even the built in Performance settings as modifying the settings will increase the minimum clock to 200MHz which will greatly reduce battery life than NOT messing with them. This is a known issue and will be addressed in a future release!
    Anything that pushes something over the air haha needs data.

SMS does require data as well as MMS. turn your mobile data off and WiFi off and watch nothing will get sent. Some apps dont require Carrier data but atleast WiFi needs it enabled to push it. & If you want something that toggles a data schedule for you for certain apps is Juice Defender

Airplane mode is on no sms gets gets puhed at all with data on it does, with data off but the fm radio is still on yes but isn't that considered data being off

I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

Because battery calibration is a myth and not needed. The percentage is directly proportional to the voltage on the battery. 100% = 4.200 Volts and 0% = 3.700 volts. That is how your phone determines percentage. An Android Google Engineer wrote an article on this.

I'm amazed no one has recommended Battery Calibration. You should do it every time you switch kernels to ensure accurate reporting of battery percentage.

The batterystats file is nothing more than the info displayed for battery info under settings/battery usage. It has no affect on your battery displaying properly and does not changed anything. The file is wiped every time your charge reaches 100%. You cannot calibrate a lithium ion battery. You can only work in the cells when the battery is brand new and the cells haven't been used yet (cycling the battery a few time to ensure it's receiving it's maximum voltage capacity when charged).

Edit: I see kenny already explained.