[Q] Test messages getting cut-off

Search This thread

swest6602

Dec 18, 2009
Central MA
Hi all, A co-worker has the Droid 2 and is about to receive her 3rd one in the mail tomorrow. The problem is that text messages are randomly cut-off or garbled to SOME people. I cannot seem to find anything to help her. The issue is not related to the size of the message (i.e. SMS converting to MMS) as it has occurred with one word texts as well as larger messages. Her D2 is stock. The recipients with issues have older (1 or 2 year old VZW phones. Guessing they are dumb or feature phones, but not sure). Here is what we've tried:

Example of a 1 word text: So I sent a text that said “busy?” and it came through to the recipient as “bus”

1. Turn off auto-correct in settings
2. Auto-Signature in settings is not checked (thought that might auto convert to MMS)
3. Switch to Handcent from stock messaging app. Same problem
4. Delete the contacts having trouble and then soft re-set the phone. Then add the contacts back in.
5. Replaced phone; same problem new phone.
6. Remove apps and replace one by one. Thought she had some luck with a camera app, but no go. The issue recurred without the camera app on the phone (have told her to check the camera apps settings to see if there is anything that could be adding pics to text messages without her knowledge. That would turn the message into an MMS. Long shot but worth a look.)

I feel like somehow all of her text messages are being converted to MMS but I cannot find any setting that would be causing this to occur. Cannot think of anything else. Anyone have any ideas?

-Gilgamesh-

Feb 13, 2011
I would try doing a factory reset without installing ANY extra apps, and see if it still happens. If it works, then slowly start installing apps until it starts again and you've found the issue. If it doesnt fix it at all, then I'd SBF and try as above. If still doesnt work then it's likely an issue with your carrier or maybe their carrier. (Person getting them)