[MOD] Long Press Back for Menu/Remove 3 dot on screen menu

Search This thread

ixrs

Aug 2, 2011
This is just this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2251788

but with the t-mobile build.prop. I've replaced it with the stock build.prop. ALL CREDIT GOES TO homeslice976!

This mod will remove the on screen 3 dot menu bar and restore the Option under Settings/Display, Gestures, and Buttons for Back Button Options, letting you choose Press for back, press and hold for menu (as shows in the screenshot). This mod will not enable Menu functionality in Prism (the sense launcher). This will work on Stock/Rooted, odexed or deodexed. Flash in recovery, wiping dalvik and cache afterwards is necessary. Contains a slightly modified Settings and build.prop with a line added to remove the 3 dot menu bar - built from T-mobile's 1.27

Also included is a mod to enable the back button settings, but leave the 3 dot menu bar. And one will go back to stock Settings. Note that this is based off of the ATT software like stated above. If you've flashed this to another build, and you want to go back to stock, you need your Settings.apk. If you're stock ROM was odexed, you also need Settings.odex. Put them both (with 7zip on a PC) in /system/app/ of the bk2stock zip and flash away. Not a bad idea to also use your stock build.prop if you're going back

Screenshot_2013-04-26-10-05-52%255B1%255D.png
Screenshot_2013-04-26-10-05-57%255B1%255D.png

The attached file is for turning off the 3 dot menu ONLY. It works perfectly. v2 In combination with something like faux's kernel you'll get both the HTC logo to menu and the removal of the 3 dot menu.

To download the long press back mod go here.

Attachments

• remove_3dot_only.zip
    171.5 KB · Views: 993
Last edited:

ixrs

Aug 2, 2011
I've pulled the files, they don't seem to be very stable at the moment. Edit: I've reuploaded them. Use them at your own risk!

Last edited:

tevinwade

May 9, 2012
Does this take away all 3 dot menus. e.g The menu in gmail AND the black, software button you would see in Facebook? Otherwise this should work perfectly for me since I already have the menu button mapped to the HTC Logo.

ixrs

Aug 2, 2011
Use these files at your own risk! Other users have reported that it works but BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

Attachments

• bk2stock.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 174
  • bkbtnmenu.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 301
  • bkbtnmenuwith3dot.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 153
Last edited:

ixrs

Aug 2, 2011
Flashing the "remove_3dot_only.zip" made my Settings completely go away...

I'm so sorry... I uploaded the wrong file.

Try the attached file if you haven't restored already. Or use the bk2stock.zip here.

On the bright side I've uploaded the working and tested remove_3dot_only.zip

Again, sorry for your troubles.

Attachments

• fix.zip
    6.9 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:

MinimalistChris

Jun 15, 2010
Orange, California
www.focalist.com

Try the attached file if you haven't restored already. Or use the bk2stock.zip here.

No worries :) Thanks for the fix, but I ended up flashing the "bkbtnmenu.zip" file and it seemed to correct Settings. Thank you for finally allowing me to get rid of the ugly black bar!!

Reactions: ixrs

faith5x5

Nov 12, 2010
GE ROM?

but with the t-mobile build.prop. I've replaced it with the stock build.prop. ALL CREDIT GOES TO homeslice976!

This mod will remove the on screen 3 dot menu bar and restore the Option under Settings/Display, Gestures, and Buttons for Back Button Options, letting you choose Press for back, press and hold for menu (as shows in the screenshot). This mod will not enable Menu functionality in Prism (the sense launcher). This will work on Stock/Rooted, odexed or deodexed. Flash in recovery, wiping dalvik and cache afterwards is necessary. Contains a slightly modified Settings and build.prop with a line added to remove the 3 dot menu bar - built from T-mobile's 1.27

Also included is a mod to enable the back button settings, but leave the 3 dot menu bar. And one will go back to stock Settings. Note that this is based off of the ATT software like stated above. If you've flashed this to another build, and you want to go back to stock, you need your Settings.apk. If you're stock ROM was odexed, you also need Settings.odex. Put them both (with 7zip on a PC) in /system/app/ of the bk2stock zip and flash away. Not a bad idea to also use your stock build.prop if you're going back

The attached file is for turning off the 3 dot menu ONLY. It works perfectly. v2 In combination with something like faux's kernel you'll get both the HTC logo to menu and the removal of the 3 dot menu.

Does this work with the Google Edition Stock 4.2.2 Rom?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Flashing the "remove_3dot_only.zip" made my Settings completely go away...

No worries :) Thanks for the fix, but I ended up flashing the "bkbtnmenu.zip" file and it seemed to correct Settings. Thank you for finally allowing me to get rid of the ugly black bar!!