Theme competition

Search This thread

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
I am looking to in the near future organize a theme competition. I would be willing to put up $100 dollars donated to the winning designer. If others would like to offer up as well we can figure that part out. I know many of the theme makers here do it for nothing more than for fun, the challenge and to give back to the community. I would love to see how far the envelope would get pushed and what amazing things could be done with something more on the line.

What I want to know is would any of you theme creators be interested in this? I'm sure many people would, but would the right people? I'm thinking all themes would be based on RC33 once everyone figures it out since its the most adopted...We'd have to work out the details.

So what say you? Any interest?

Edit: Contest is a go!

Ending date is March 13th ALL themes much be submitted by midnight pacific time - US. No exceptions!

Donation Link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ton_id=3192813 Thank you to "brandenk" for handling the money. He has provided my with verification information and I am comfortable enough to give him $100 of my own.(You don't have to donate, but if you believe in this competition and what it will provide, I would be greatful if you did. I am donating $100 of my own money. Any donations will go towards future competitions. 10% off the the prize money will be donated to XDA. for example...If prize = $100, then first place gets $70, second $20, and 3rd $10, XDA gets 10% of what the total prize is, however it will not come from the prize itself. If we donot get any donations to do this I will donate this out of my own pocket. I refuse to do this without giving back to XDA)
I am also toying with the idea of people who donate being allowed to BETA test and/or judge in some capacity (More on this as it develops, until then...Donate because you believe. This may not happen so don't donate just for that reason)

If you choose to donate please PM me your email address and donation amount, I want to keep track of everyone and give them a special thanks and credit for helping at the end
Rules:

1. No previously released themes, this goes against the push for innovation I hope to achive during this contest.
2. Designer has the choice to work in whatever enviornment he chooses...however RC33/ADP1.1 are the prefered choices as they are the most widely adopted releases.
3. The contest will last for one month from the start date. All themes must be recieved by midnight US/Pacific time on the final day to be entered in the voting. NO exceptions will be made. END DATE IS MARCH 13TH
4. The prize for this competition will depend on donations we receive, it will however be atleast $100 but no more than $200. If total donations exceed $200 the remain funds will be put towards future competitions. The winner will receive 70%, second place will receive 20%, and third place 10%, XDA gets 10% of what the total prize is, however it will not come from the prize itself.
5. The themes will be scored based on three catagories. Innovation/Originality(25% of final score), Technical Difficulty(25% of final score), and popular vote(50% of final score. If you are interested in being a judge let send me a private message and let me know. Judges are not able to compete, so any theme makers looking to sit this one out I can use your help as a technical judge.
6. All themes must be stable enough to run flashed to a phone and be useable.
7. Teams are allowed, however it will be limited to 2 members per team in order to keep the amount of themes up. I may do a larger team competition in the future however.

If you plan to compete please contact me via private message, so i can get an idea of how many contestants we are looking at. I hope so see this bring out some favorites as well as some new faces.

If you are interested in donating towards the prize look for donation information soon, or feel free to PM me and i will get back to you with information when we have it.

Any questions and/or concerns may also be conveyed to me through Gtalk if you wish. Hit me up if you wish "Doooshty at gmail dot com"

Last edited:

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
I think its a great idea, but how would you secure the funds? Plus, what would the time frame be? I might be interested.

[Edit] Not too modest, just like respecting the work and time of others that have helped me.

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
I think its a great idea, but how would you secure the funds? Plus, what would the time frame be? I might be interested.

[Edit] Not too modest, just like respecting the work and time of others that have helped me.

Initial thought on fund was I would donate it to Jesus Freak and he would then donate it to the winner...that was just a quick idea. We are pretty sure he's not going anywhere however he may very likely want nothing to do with it, but i'm still looking to work that out. As far as time frame, I was looking to get input from theme makers on this. Not being one myself I am un aware how long this process takes, I also know that no one does this fulltime so I want everyone to have a chance to make something nice.

Like I said it's in its early stages, I just wanted to see how much interest there was before I really went forward with it:p

Last edited:

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
This is a good way to get a bunch of themes in the wild =) I would participate...would you supply coffee and peanut butter & fluff sangwiches =)

doubleokneegro

Jul 29, 2008
Philadelphia
well well well, i could enter a theme competition.... what time frame are we looking at

best in a month's time? 2 weeks? 2 months?
also, you could secure the transaction through paypal, or send a personal check to someone.... hmm

also will there be "all-the-neccessary-tools" to edit everything, from .9 pngs to png, i guess a fair playing field (well technically starting line) then whoever excels from there should be crowned winner....;)

JackD3ath

Jan 4, 2009
Satellite Beach, Florida
Like having a select set of icons, or a pool of resources and see who makes the best from that pile? And how fast?

This is a great idea! I would gladly chip in the prize bucket to see the outcome.

doooshty

Apr 2, 2008
i'm glad to see some interest...i was thinking 1 month, but i'm interested to see what everyone thinks. i'm at work right now...i'm off at 3 est, and i'll post some more thoughts i have on it, but until then let me know what you think. i'm excited...i think this could be fun:D

damnitpud

Jul 6, 2007
RI
The tough part is figuring out what iconset would be used...something with a few different colors so each themer can use a different color scheme. I think this could be fun. A month is a long time, i would say 2 weeks tops. If someone sits in one place for about 6-7 hours strait a theme could be completely finished, maybe even faster now that some of the images are supplied.

We should start a thread for people to post iconsets, then take a 1 week poll for the best one. Let the community decide the default stuff.

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
Actually, A month is perfect for me. I have a lot on my plate and I can't devote a lot of time at once. I have some tricks up my sleeve I'd love to throw into this.... :)

All~G1

Jan 9, 2009
Depending on how this pans out, I'll be willing to donate ATLEAST $20.

My vote will go to the most "THEMED", not color matched ;)

Stericson

Nov 10, 2008
However, I don't like the idea of just themeing for RC33, it's not as free as ADP1.1, which is way easier to theme on and allows you to do more things. I feel kind of limited by RC33.

After all, Adp1.1 is the "Dev Phone"

Stericson

Last edited:

All~G1

Jan 9, 2009
Boo!!! Well I guess this will give me a push to start reading more about ADB/ADP. I don't want to jump out of my limits.

Theme on themers

t1n0m3n

Jan 27, 2009
Chicago
Maybe we can set up a donation spot and keep it full and have regular monthly contests whenever the donation pot is above $100. Maybe even split the $100 to $60 - 1st place, $30 - 2nd place, $10 - 3rd place.

JackD3ath

Jan 4, 2009
Satellite Beach, Florida
So here is a noobish question, I assume I can flash the ADP 1.1? If so, and if it is easier to theme, are there elements of RC33 missing from ADP1.1?

My thought is, if we all decide to stick with one build, it would help the communal effort of making themes.