Fix for XXJVK Google Maps Rotation issue

Search This thread

bub181

Jul 23, 2007
Thanks for this patch! Multi touch works as it should in both maps and gingerbread keyboard now.

tururum

Nov 22, 2010
Could you tell me please how to apply nedooo'd fix? I'm a newcomer here and I don't know many things yet...

mahatasin

Mar 25, 2011
Salt Lake City
It is not clear to me, whether the maps rotation revert back to original gesture or its simply this arc gesture after the multitouch patch.

I am on JVK and 2 vertical fingers arc gesture is working well. but i feel this is very unintuitive and would like to go back to the previous much better gesture for rotation. My Maps version is 5.3.0.

Firmware: stock 2.3.3 JVK
Kernel: CF-Root v3.0 CWM3RFS

rlorange

Nov 5, 2010
Melbourne
It is not clear to me, whether the maps rotation revert back to original gesture or its simply this arc gesture after the multitouch patch.

I am on JVK and 2 vertical fingers arc gesture is working well. but i feel this is very unintuitive and would like to go back to the previous much better gesture for rotation. My Maps version is 5.3.0.

Firmware: stock 2.3.3 JVK
Kernel: CF-Root v3.0 CWM3RFS
This fix reverts back to the intuitive method you mention.

Try it you wont regret it... also enables multitouch on other apps.

**Simply Honey 3.0, Voodoo GB hack, JVE modem**

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The easiest thing is to use this CWM update...
    This is to avoid confusion about Google maps and Earth rotation feature.

Others report that their Maps and Earth apps do not rotate at all when they upgraded their ROM to XXJVK.

First, rotation gesture is quite different from other devices or versions.
    To rotate, place two fingers, one on top of the other, then move horizontally along the screen.

If that didn't work, check Google Maps' version:

Go to Settings >> Applications >> Manage Applications >> All tab

Find Maps in the list and check version number.

If version is 5.0 or any version less than 5.2, then rotation is not possible without hacking
    system's multitouch file.

Now go to Market and download latest version, 5.2.1.

*Some countries cannot download the latest version,
    here is a link of the apk file of Maps 5.2.1:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?1wynpj9vjo2zoc0

here is the link of a modified Maps 5.2.1:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=991654

How to install (for rooted devices only, credit to abhi0n0nakul):
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    download and extract the .apk
    1. install titanium backup.
    2. in titanium backup, go to apps and wipe data for maps(i.e official maps).
    the mod wont work if data is not wiped..
    3. after wiping data, you can also clear cache. so that nothing of original maps is there..
    4. now uninstall the maps using titanium backup .
    5. you may perform a reboot (though worked for me without reboot).
    6. now install the moded maps.
    7. again you may try reboot if not working (worked for me without reboot)
    and you are done....

credits: liying ,china

Or you can try this alternative (for those who want the circular gesture):
    *Warning: This might change your phone's multitouch implementation,
    not just in the Maps application as the update will modify files in the /system/ folder.

But overall, in my experience, multitouch is somewhat much responsive with this fix.
    Not just on Maps but also on other apps like gingerbread keyboard, as others also reported.

Please say thanks to nedoo:
    The easiest thing is to use this CWM update...

distinct-multitouch-signed.zip

Possible explanation by rlorange. Thank him by the way! :)
    It seems that samsung forgot to tell android 2.3.3 that our phone is multi-touch!

Maybe this is a google/market thing and the market is confused as to what type of phone we have with jvk. Perhaps the multi-touch update comes via system app updates like maps depending on the phone model.

Really there is only the nexus 1 and S running 2.3.3 till JVK arrived and its not official yet so I reckon Google/Market thinks our phone is a N1 and thus updated the multi-touch scrip accordingly... Phew like my theoy? LOL!

Stock XXJVK, Voodoo GB hack Kernel, JQ1 modem
    I would just like to add that there was another rotation method in the maps found in the original jvk firmware different to the one used previously and not at all Intuitive.

Many people might not have known how it works and concluded that rotation simply didn't work when in fact it did. Here's how it works:

Place two fingers together on the screen one ABOVE the other and sweep in an arc.

Not sure why this method replaced the older and better one. Please confirm if a market update changes back to the original

Stock XXJVK, Voodoo GB hack Kernel, JVE GB Modem
    Thanks guys for your feedback. Will add it then to the first post. :)
    Ahh thank you nadoo, I have yet to work out how to post files from my phone... Xda app? Fail! Phone, browser? Fail! I rarely use my computer lol!

This update from nadooo will revert rotation back to the older more intuitive method... Thanks again nadooo :)

Stock XXJVK, Voodoo GB hack Kernel, JVE GB Modem