[Solved] Will underclocking while gaming save battery?

Search This thread
A

AGAWhitty

Hi,

I'm not really bothered about high resolution gaming or high res textures ect when gaming on my phone, I would much rather have a phone that lasted all day.

So was wondering if downloading GLTools on my Moto G and lowering the resolution, texture res ect on NFS:MW for example and underclocking to the lowest clock speed that gives me playable fps with lowest possible graphics would save me much Juice?

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:
A

AGAWhitty

Thought someone might know but I guess I'll test it out when I have time with all radios off ect. And post results in case anyone else can benefit from it.

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

liveroy

Jun 8, 2007
/dev/null
www.gear-bg.com
You probably won't see much of a difference, due to that your cpu/gpu are not the biggest battery hungry components when playing games.

I know it sounds weird, but your display backlight and numerous RAM addressings tax your battery way more.

Doesn't hurt to try tho, good luck.

A

AGAWhitty

I did a short experiment which told me what I needed to know, I haven't got mass amounts of time to do in depth tests so I did this.

Charged my Moto G up to 100% with lowest screen brightness, volume muted, put it in aeroplane mode and played Blocky Roads for 3 hours at 3 different clock speeds, 30 mins with normal graphics and another 30 mins with GLTools halving the screen resolution and texture resolution.

This was my result.

30% an hour at 1190 mhz = 3 hours 20 mins total gaming time

18% an hour at 600 mhz = 5 hours 30 mins total gaming time

12 % an hour at 384 Mhz = 8 hours 20 mins total gaming time

I then did it with the lowered graphics and found it didn't change a thing, BUT! It was very useful for making the lower clock speed game play more playable and I will be using it for just that!

Sent from my MOTOROLA MOTOG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

Raul And.

Jun 4, 2013
I did a short experiment which told me what I needed to know, I haven't got mass amounts of time to do in depth tests so I did this.

Charged my Moto G up to 100% with lowest screen brightness, volume muted, put it in aeroplane mode and played Blocky Roads for 3 hours at 3 different clock speeds, 30 mins with normal graphics and another 30 mins with GLTools halving the screen resolution and texture resolution.

This was my result.

30% an hour at 1190 mhz = 3 hours 20 mins total gaming time

18% an hour at 600 mhz = 5 hours 30 mins total gaming time

12 % an hour at 384 Mhz = 8 hours 20 mins total gaming time

I then did it with the lowered graphics and found it didn't change a thing, BUT! It was very useful for making the lower clock speed game play more playable and I will be using it for just that!

Sent from my MOTOROLA MOTOG using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Interesting ... Thanks for the info:good:

vaib

800Mhz is sufficient for general use except for high res games. also use greenify to hibernate background apps. turn off sync and keep brightness at 25-50% and this should easily give u a battery backup of 24-30 hours of moderate use.

Sent from my XT1033 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Which app did you use for underclocking? Were you on stock or a custom ROM?