Cyanogenmod, Legend, FM Radio & MONEY [MODS PLEASE CLOSE THREAD]

2,219 posts
Thanks Meter: 742

By and313, Senior Member on 9th February 2011, 12:48 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st February 2011, 09:29 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
wow, that's a significant amount of posts!
22nd February 2011, 11:24 PM |#32  
Thanks Meter: 1,047

Donate to Me
More
@mikereidis

Me again

XDA user eldis have started a thread in Motorola Dorid section about FM radio on this device a year ago. Here is the link. He posted, some links for Ti conectivity drivers and also link to TI's own FM radio test aplication. But as I can read all the stuff reffers to OMAP platform, so I don't know how usefull can this be. I just thought, that maybe you should check out.
23rd February 2011, 07:16 AM |#33  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 4,186

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by qzem

@mikereidis

Me again

XDA user eldis have started a thread in Motorola Dorid section about FM radio on this device a year ago. Here is the link. He posted, some links for Ti conectivity drivers and also link to TI's own FM radio test aplication. But as I can read all the stuff reffers to OMAP platform, so I don't know how usefull can this be. I just thought, that maybe you should check out.

Thanks qzem, but FYI, I think I've already read just about every FM and BT thread on devices with the TI chips by now, on XDA and elsewhere. (Well every useful one anyway.) Also several threads on devices with Broadcom chips, since those may offer clues to HTC and other manufacturers audio routing. Any device with a 7227 or similar chip may be similar in audio issues. That includes lots of newish budget and mid-range devices including the LG Chic (and LG Optimus One) I tried a few weeks ago.

I've managed to download the latest TI code for their testing utility "fmradio", and other stuff, so I'm not wanting for code right now. I just need to take the time to pore through it and experiment.

My "pre-alpha" level App Inventor app is working nicely now, so I'm ready to move back to solving the audio routing issues. Since the HTC Legend stock FM app works, (it has one right ? I never tried or even looked hard before rooting and CMing), we know the hardware works. And I'm absolutely positive that sooner or later, either I or someone else will solve the routing issue.

Perhaps within the next week or so I'll have an app ready for anyone who wants to test (Audio or no). As is, it might even output sound on some devices.

As for the Motorola Droid (original aka Droid 1), that's the one that after so much work by some people, it was found that the FM antenna connection went nowhere. The connection point was under an RF shield so would require impractical major surgery to connect. The threads I've read indicate much despair when this was discovered.

We Legend owners will not suffer such a fate given that the stock ROM supports the radio fine. (Right?) I'm still not sure yet if the Legend has a decent Tx connection for the transmitter. If not, the Tx may only have a few inches range (which will work for some people), or even none at all.
23rd February 2011, 08:00 AM |#34  
Flag IBK
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Just to confirm FM Radio was working fine with the connected earphones. Wired Earphones are needed because the act as antenna.
The Following User Says Thank You to ojessie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ojessie Ad-Free
24th February 2011, 10:15 PM |#35  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Lol

Sent from my HTC Legend using XDA App
25th February 2011, 08:00 AM |#36  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi mikereidis !

Its great that someone has started working on the FM radio for our Legends, i did not dare hope for it anymore.

I see you are making progress and that you want to make some money from your work. I would like to give my 50c to that:

I am supporting several open source projects, not because i have to, but because i want to. I appreciate when people do work that solves problems for everyone, not just their customers. This is why i donate to libreoffice, debian and some CM deveopers. I refuse to buy closed source software that solves a problem only for me.

To make things short, i would really appreciate if you make all your basic work open source, ideally by adding your low-level code to CM so that every radio app can use the hooks. If you then also offer a good radio app on the market i would buy it, or donate to you in any other way. However, i hope you understand that if your app is the only app that is then able to do FM radio on the Legend, and you are not opening the low-level workings for others i would rather do without the FM radio.

You are doing magnificent work, open it for the world to see !
For eternal fame !

I would also suggest you create a donate button here on the forum.
I would donate 10€ immediately.

No offence meant, just my opinion.
Cheers,
Karl
The Following User Says Thank You to karl_k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift karl_k Ad-Free
25th February 2011, 07:57 PM |#37  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojessie

Just to confirm FM Radio was working fine with the connected earphones. Wired Earphones are needed because the act as antenna.

Thanks ojessie. I presume that FM radio audio can be sent to speaker via a selection, even though the wired phones are installed.

Anyone know the connections/pinout of the earphone jack and switches? Is there any sort of standard for this that allows 3rd party phones to be used ?

I presume one could cut the earphones wire to have an antenna without earphones etc. dangling.
25th February 2011, 08:02 PM |#38  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_k

I would also suggest you create a donate button here on the forum.
I would donate 10€ immediately.

Thanks karl_k. Yeah a donate button sounds like a great idea. I'd prefer to prove myself by getting audio functioning first though, just in case I got hit with the proverbial truck or whatever.

I presume I can identify doners and pay more attention to their requests for help or new features.

Yeah I think fully open source and information disclosure is best. Although not alway true, I enjoy the expression "Do what you love, the money will come".

My wife and I have an agreement about my employment/this project, and seeing even a small trickle coming in would satisfy the 3 and 6 month milestones I proposed.
25th February 2011, 10:47 PM |#39  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 259

More
As far as I know FM radio audio is hard-wired to the headphones. At least that's what's done on a few other devices.

By the way, there's no need to write an FM radio app, CM already has one. We "just" need framework support for TI chips. Have a look at how it's done on broadcom devices - I didn't find it hard to understand, but your mileage my vary.
26th February 2011, 12:22 AM |#40  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali ba

As far as I know FM radio audio is hard-wired to the headphones. At least that's what's done on a few other devices.

Hard wired ? I'd think there must be some mute type switch somewhere otherwise we might get static when no other audio is playing.

And the stock FM app can send to the speaker OR the earphones right ?

If it was analog hard wired I'd think my enabling analog output would have resulted in audio by now.

I also do:
adb shell 'echo "fm_headset" > /sys/class/htc_accessory/fm/flag'

but this results in no audio. I read something indicating the switch_set_state() might not do anything when writing to the fm flag, as it should.

And yes, I've taken a quick look at the MIUI app. If it supported TI and broadcom, I think it'd have the potential to work on most devices with FM since TI and BC seem to have the majority of the FM chip market tied up. I'll look at it further once I figure out audio. Re: audio routing being the current gating factor: "So close, yet so far", LOL.

BTW, something has seemed funny about attempting to turn on bluetooth on this CM7 ROM I installed a week or two ago. The GUI settings never show it as enabled, even despite that I ran "bttest enabled" fine from adb shell and clearly I see the FM radio portion working.

I picked up a cheap BT headset tonight, but the settings GUI won't let me scan for devices due to this. Perhaps I can find out how to do that with hcitool. And/or maybe update CM7 ?
26th February 2011, 09:14 AM |#41  
Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 259

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereidis

Hard wired ? I'd think there must be some mute type switch somewhere otherwise we might get static when no other audio is playing.

The routing is definitely enabled by software, but there might be the possibility that audio output coming from the TI chip is hard wired to the headphones output directly.

Quote:

If it was analog hard wired I'd think my enabling analog output would have resulted in audio by now.

I think there's some framework code involved too. You would have to explicitly enable FM audio routing. I don't believe that the original ROM does software routing through audio flinger. So the framework has to disable FM routing and enable "normal" audio if e.g. a call comes in.

Quote:

BTW, something has seemed funny about attempting to turn on bluetooth on this CM7 ROM I installed a week or two ago. The GUI settings never show it as enabled, even despite that I ran "bttest enabled" fine from adb shell and clearly I see the FM radio portion working.

You mean you enabled bluetooth on the command line? Well then Android won't know it was enabled, as it doesn't monitor the hardware. If you are trying to enable bt in the GUI then it actually should work, just checked with a recent build (the same applies to wlan too).

Did you have time to disassemble (baksmali) the original FM radio app? It points to a few TI-functions in the HTC framework.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)