{GUIDE} Perm-rooting the HTC EVO Shift!!! Recovery added

Search This thread

djjenso0n

Dec 4, 2009
Many THANKS!!!

works great thanks to all that provided this... a little intimidating at first glance, but turns out even for an old coot like me turned out to be pretty easy...
thanks again point me to the person responsible i've got 20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket...

DWake014

Mar 31, 2010
Can we use a terminal emulator on our phones or do we have to use the command prompt on our computers?

Cayniarb

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
NOVA
Congrats man! I know this was a long time in the making, so way to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

riggsandroid

Mar 26, 2010
Can we use a terminal emulator on our phones or do we have to use the command prompt on our computers?

just because it is pretty critical to get everything correct - because a typo can do a lot of damage - it is suggested you use adb shell on your computer, which will allow you to copy/paste commands to reduce the risk

DWake014

Mar 31, 2010
Well this is my first time doing any coding on my phone but I used good ol connectbot and it worked!!! Trust me, my heart raced during step 4 doing it this way but I have no clue how to use adb shell :)

EDIT: Thank you so much bcnice!

edgemaster191

Sep 14, 2008
Bennington
www.reddit.com
i am going to do this today at some point, just want to say thanks again!

it was epic, like watching history in the making in IRC last night. you guys are pure awesomesauce :-D

i would have volunteered to test last night but i had to get up early :-(

markli

Sep 16, 2007
I am completely new to Android. I've been using WM for ages.

Basically my question is I have a Sprint HTC Evo Shift what programs should I get along with rooting my device?

What do you guys reccomend along with using this post for rooting?

Thank you in advance.

As well as how after rooting do I unroot the device if needed to get repaired or exchanged.

And how do I run and set up the programs reccomended after rooting.

Thank you

riggsandroid

Mar 26, 2010
I am completely new to Android. I've been using WM for ages.

Basically my question is I have a Sprint HTC Evo Shift what programs should I get along with rooting my device?

What do you guys reccomend along with using this post for rooting?

Thank you in advance.

As well as how after rooting do I unroot the device if needed to get repaired or exchanged.

And how do I run and set up the programs reccomended after rooting.

Thank you

That's a loaded first post man.

First - you should install the SDK to your system - and get adb up and running if you haven't already.

link to SDK - http://developer.android.com/index.html

Second - after you understand all that, then try to follow this guide, knowing that its your fault if anything goes wrong, etc.

Third - Once rooted, you can install Wireless Tether for Root Users(from the market) and have a 4g hotspot.

Fourth - You can run the RUU to return the phone to 100% stock, locked, unrooted phone for service/maintenance.

Once we have a working recovery, we will be able to mess with custom ROMs, etc.

Hope that helps. For future reference most of your questions would be better served in the General forum or in the Q&A thread at the top of this Dev. forum.

StAlphonso

Jun 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
WOOO!!!!! BC you deserve the donation youll be getting from me for sure!!! now im just trying to decide if I should do this today or wait til theres a working recovery....ahh screw it i can always run stock RUU if I need to....thank you all for your hard work!!!

StAlphonso

Jun 21, 2010
Staten Island, NY
i do have a quick question though (just to be absolutely certain i didnt misunderstand something)...we are supposed to unzip and extract the contents of the file in step 1 to the root of the SD card, not just place the zip on the root directory?

Step 1
ok download this file and extract it to the root of your sdcard
www.thebcblends.com/shift/Shift-root.zip

markli

Sep 16, 2007
riggs thank you for the information. my only other question is whats RUU and where do I find it? Thank you -Mark

riggsandroid

Mar 26, 2010
i do have a quick question though (just to be absolutely certain i didnt misunderstand something)...we are supposed to unzip and extract the contents of the file in step 1 to the root of the SD card, not just place the zip on the root directory?

Step 1

Yes - extract to your root.

riggs thank you for the information. my only other question is whats RUU and where do I find it? Thank you -Mark

Here you go mark - RUU thread

I wasn't sure what RUU stood for but here is your answer.

It is the .exe update file that you run from your computer that returns the phone to stock software (full erase, etc.)

RUU - Rom Update Utility

Reactions: StAlphonso

dhero1

Mar 11, 2010
Tried a couple of times with z4root and no luck. Got Visionary and tried again, and all is well. Thanks very much for the work, and for the guide!

Evo_Shift

Jan 17, 2011
For people like me who were brand f-in new to this here and totally ignorant of anything as far as rooting here is exactly what I did to get temp root. This is my first smartphone so it was all alien to me too.

Downloaded and install Astro File Manager from the Market.

On my computer I went to http://android.modaco.com/content/software/320350/19-nov-r14-visionary-one-click-root/ and downloaded visionary.

On my phone went Menu>Settings>Applications and turned on unknown sources

On my phone went to Menu>Settings>Applications>Development and turned on USB Debugging

Connected my phone to my computer and went to disk drive mode and put the visionary download on my sd card. NOT in any folder or anything.

removed my phone from the computer and went into the Astro File Manager app and clicked on the visionary .apk I placed on the sd card and installed it.

went into the visionary app and touched "Temp Root Now" and NOTHING else. I DID NOT turn on Temproot on boot because it causes frustration later if you do.

The phone automatically restarted and hung on the 4G screen for a couple minutes(seriously, minutes. It seems like hours your first time believe me I popped my cherry on this just this morning). Once the phone booted it was running really choppy and it appeared the visionary app had disappeared from my app drawer and I wasn't rooted. I DID NOT try to reinstall visionary or anything.

After about 5 minutes of letting the phone sit there and chill on the home screen I rebooted it like normal.

Now visionary showed back up in my app drawer, wow damn cool. My phone was no longer choppy either it was as if I had done nothing.

I started the visionary app and touched "Temp Root Now".

When visionary finished it's thing again my phone was rooted and running perfectly and superuser had now been installed to my app drawer. Wow damn I didn't download that, VISIONARY must have done it for me.

I installed wireless tether to make sure it was rooted because I didn't realize if I saw Superuser in my app drawer it meant I was rooted.

That's exactly what I did and it worked for me. Maybe for you too!

I used the various posts from this EVO Shift forum and blind confidence that I wouldn't brick my phone to try it, thanks to the people who figured everything out. I take ZERO credit for any of this and am just posting my experience.

For permanent root I just followed the guide posted after learning how to use abd/android SDK by using google searches. That allowed me to enter the command line codes needed for the perm root but I am such a noob at this that I don't feel comfortable posting the "New to Android" steps involved in using the adb/Android SDK because I learned everything about this last night around 2am.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok first off i would like to give many thanks to all the people that help test and figure out the easiest and most effective way of pulling this off.
    Joeykrim (for his help with figuring out the easiest way of implementing this)
    Toastcfh (for providing us with the eng spl without this we would be nowhere!!)
    scotty2 and Guhl (for all the insight they have given me over the past couple of weeks)
    preludedrew (for helping me with testing and of course the recovery he working so hard on right now)
    riggsandroid and Cosine83 (for helping test things out)

Now on to the good stuff!!

Disclaimer
    Please read each and every step in this guide and do them fully failure to do this exactly as it is layed out could result in a permanent brick as usual I am not responsible for anybody's failure to read directions

Step 1

Step 2
    make sure you have adb properly setup on your computer before continuing
    temp root using either visionary or z4root
    open up command prompt and cd to your sdk platform-tools directory
    then type adb shell then su
    if you havent already u must press allow on your device to enable su perms

Step 3
    check the md5sum of both of the files to make sure they match
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0
    386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0 hboot_orig.bin
    60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e hboot_eng.nb0

if these do not match do not continue redownload the files then check the md5's again

Step 4
    Flash the eng spl!!! (dangerous part)
    make sure these commands are exact or you could risk bricking your phone!!!
    now you should still be in adb shell with root permissions
    runs this command and DO NOTT!! reboot till I tell you to
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_eng.nb0 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    you just flashed the eng spl!!! now lets make sure it took

Step 5
    Check the md5 of new flash hboot and restore if necessary
    run this command to pull the newly flashed hboot to your sdcard
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
    now we check the md5 to see if it matches
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check.nb0
    it should read 60ec1006e6ec2e8acb370d6aad35b17e
    if the md5sum matches then congratulations its safe to reboot!! you can skip the next bit and continue on to step 6

if you absolutely cannot get the eng hboot to flash right then run this to restore the stock hboot
    Code:
    dd if=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_orig.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    then pull it to check md5
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
    then check the md5sum
    Code:
    md5sum /sdcard/Shift/hboot_check1.bin
    it should read 386c19451e8dd18f9b98fad6b11be4c0
    if it doesnt keep trying until it does but DO NOT!! reboot till it matches

Step 6
    check hboot and perm root!!
    ok now reboot your phone into bootloader
    turn off phone and hold power+vol down till it boots into bootloader
    look at the top and make sure it says s off
    if so reboot the phone back into android
    put the phone into airplane mode
    temp root with visionary
    after your temp rooted then attempt to perm root with visionary (haven't tested perm root with z4 yet)
    your phone will reboot and you are now officially perm rooted any changes you make will now stick on reboot
    Recovery is coming soon!!!!!!

Recovery
    for now this recovery does not backup your wimax keys
    we shall do that manually and store them in a safe place just in case

Backup Wimax Partitions
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/Shift/wimax.bin
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p30 of=/sdcard/Shift/udata_wimax.bin

Flash Recovery Image
    download this zip and extract the img to wherever you please on your computer
    recovery
    if you do not already have fastboot setup get it
    cd to wherever the recovery was placed
    then power down your device and hold power+voldown at the same time till it loads the bootloader
    click on the fastboot option
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
    now boot into recovery and see if it worked if so create a nandroid backup!!!
    reserved again!!!
    Can someone re-link the ShiftRoot.zip file? The link is broken...Thanks!

Here you go
    so is there something I missed downloading with the SDK that contains adb? probably...

As previously stated Install the SDK Manager. Once downloaded and installed you will need to install packages.
    The one that you are concerned with is Platform Tools.
    Once I updated and installed everything I moved the SDK to my C: drive from the Program Fiels folder.
    I renamed it AndroidSDK then right clicked on My Computer->Properties->Advanced->Environmental Values->Select Path in bottom box then Edit->Change the path to C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools->ckick o.k.

Click Start, then run, type in CMD
    Once in the Command Prompt enter cd C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools
    The next line should pop up C:\AndroidSDK\platform-tools>
    Now test adb by typing in adb

If adb runs you are ready to start!
    Connect your phone to the Computer, make sure Enable USB Debugging is checked. Leave connection as charge only.
    Type adb shell
    Then type SU
    Allow Superuser on your phone
    You are now in and ready to follow BCNice's directions

You may have not needed all of that, but hopefully it helps someone!