[Q] Nook touch require registration before Root?

Search This thread

Lengths

Aug 22, 2010
Hello, I am planning on buying a New Nook touch (the e-ink one) and planning on rooting it and installing kindle etc..

However as I am in the UK, registering it is going to be a pain (suspect using a VPN, and a UsUnlocked pre-pay debit card could do it, but a lot of hassle), SO what i was wondering is, does it need to be registered before rooting? (i know would lose the B&N access and apps, but the touch screen ereader is what I am looking for, to read comixology comics, and kindle books on)

I have seen from some threads here, that you do not need to register the nook color.. but is the Nook 2 the same?

rydo88

Jul 12, 2011
No clue on nook 2, but why not just get a NC? It's a full tablet for just a bit more.

Lengths

Aug 22, 2010
Already got a vega

Because I already have an advent Vega tablet runnign honeycomb, however power and size are issues in using it for books..
E-ink display with the battery life, with the stuff i use on my tablet/phone should be great..

collins521

Apr 29, 2006
Tennessee
I haven't tried to root my Touch without logging into the B&N stuff but before you can even get anywhere in the menu's you need to log in. All you need is a wifi connection and then a username/pass for B&N to get it logged in, to me that's not that big.

I would imagine it would work without doing so though but I haven't tried.

Lengths

Aug 22, 2010
I haven't tried to root my Touch without logging into the B&N stuff but before you can even get anywhere in the menu's you need to log in. All you need is a wifi connection and then a username/pass for B&N to get it logged in, to me that's not that big.

I would imagine it would work without doing so though but I haven't tried.

Any idea if its as easy as that internationally? (particually the UK)
I know the Nook1, got a fireware fix to allow it to be be registered on a WiFi anywhere in the world (but only allows you to use the shop in the US). But not found anything to say the touch can be registered in any country..

collins521

Apr 29, 2006
Tennessee
If I remember correctly, I would have to reset my Touch again but I thought it gave you the option to select the country...I know it did time zone but not 100% sure about internationally. I don't see why not though

I can look when I get home since I don't have my Touch with me at work. I don't mind resetting it again though and checking for ya

crazy_jake

Jun 23, 2011
jacobschleappi.com
Right Buttons Show Information

Im trying to figure out how to skip the registration process, i have no intention of using the B&N app or services, and dont want to make an account with them. I was told that at the initial registration screens when you first unbox your Nook Simple Touch, you can hold down one of the right buttons to unlock a menu.

I found that that if you hold down the bottom right button and hit next, a new button appears in the top left called "Device Info". It has the basic information about the device and a shut down and reset option. Holding the Top Right button and tapping the top Left and then top Right portion of the screen will show a "Factory" button in the top left. (I noticed a tiny triangle came on in the bottom left, perhaps this is an indicator to watch for?) This menu contains detailed manufacturing and construction information and a "Shut Down" button. (sometimes it took several tries to make this appear)

I've found no other button combination that provided other options. If anyone else finds something, please speak up! :)

Last edited:

crazy_jake

Jun 23, 2011
jacobschleappi.com
How to Skip OoBE Experience

OK, figured it out! :D

1. Enter the Factory Screen by holding the TOP RIGHT Button and slide your finger across the top of the Nook from left to right. A button labeled "Factory" will appear in the top left of the screen.
  2. Once in the Factory screen, hold down the TOP RIGHT Button and tap in the bottom right of the screen.
  3. A new button will appear labeled "Skip Oobe". Tap that and you're done!

Last edited:

Lengths

Aug 22, 2010

1. Enter the Factory Screen by holding the TOP RIGHT Button and slide your finger across the top of the Nook from left to right. A button labeled "Factory" will appear in the top left of the screen.
  2. Once in the Factory screen, hold down the TOP RIGHT Button and tap in the bottom right of the screen.

Thank you!

fogbav

Jun 19, 2010
Yes - that is what i need - i don't want a credit card entered there or even register to B&N ...

Has this "trick" any disadvantages ?

Any drawbacks ? Is it reversible by resetting the Firmware ?

I'm at the setup screen (WIFI) and i am scared to go any further without confirmation that i am not destroying anything on my new loved device ...8)

Thanks for an answer !

Greetings - FoGBaV ...

croques

Oct 20, 2009
Any success story on this?

You do not need to register to root. I'm in the UK and couldn't register anyway but went ahead and rooted the factory 1.1 and upgraded to 1.2. Eventually I settled with a CM nightly running from the eMMC. You can always drop back to unrooted 1.2, and thus have the opportunity to register, whenever you like.

Just do it.

__B__

Oct 28, 2011
Eventually I settled with a CM nightly running from the eMMC.

Wait, did you install CyanogenMod sucessfully on Nook Simple Touch (The e-ink one)? This device isn't listed as supported on Cyanogen website... everything went well?

---------- Post added at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 AM ----------

Was this tested using a NST?

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Just wanted to point out the Nook Touch has it's own Forum here on XDA. You should be discussing this there.

Reactions: __B__

SsummerSsarah

Dec 30, 2011
Why would a unregistered Nook Simple Touch's battery drain faster than a registed one

Thank you crazy_jake for your post on how to bypass registration and I was able to complete that.

The thing is, I have read on other forums that bypassing B&N registration causes the battery to drain really fast... faster than the ~2% a day WITH registration.

Currently I am experiencing the same average of 20% battery loss per 24 hours with Wifi OFF and little to no use. 20% a day equals recharging every 5 days which is far from the advertised "2 months" or 2 weeks (claims from reviews) for that matter.

I have scoured the internet and I know others are experiencing the same battery drain with an unregistered nook, but I cannot not find the reason as to why this is.

Personally, I really dont understand how bypassing registration would have anything to do with the battery...but, I am not very tech savy.

I live in the US and could register the device, but it's the pricipal of the matter and I don't want to register it. I completely disagree with having to register a device when I OWN it, not Barnes and Noble.

I do not wish to root it. I do not wish to receive free books or content from B&N.

I just want my sideloaded Nook Simple Touch to have the "2 month" battery life that B&N advertises WITHOUT registering to a B&N account.

Any suggestions as to how to fix the battery drain issues on a nook that is not registered to a B&N account and an explanation of what is causing this issue?

EEaudio08

Jul 27, 2009
Hope I don't get blasted for resurrecting an old thread, but I'd also like to know if there's a solution/explanation to the massive battery loss on the Nook Simple Touch after setting it up without registering. I've only had it for 2 days, but I lose between 10-20% each day, and that's definitely not 2 months worth of battery life...

I don't want to root either, so an explanation would be most appreciated, if anyone is more enlightened than I!

drrzvn

Oct 11, 2010

Hello! I known this thread is old, but I could not find any closer information. I've just bought a Nook Simple Touch(in Eastern Europe - not sure if there are region specific devices) and I would like to skip for the moment the registration, since I'm not the intended end-user. However the above method does not work for me: I cannot even see the "Factory" button from 1st step...

So I'm wondering if anyone else is encountering the same and if anyone knows how to do this on newer Simple Touch Nooks(I suppose the method is not working since a certain newer firmware version...)
Thanks in advance!

threebeers

Oct 5, 2010
Thanks. Used this trick on a second hand NSTthat won't recognize any WiFi networks, including the BN store. This was after a factory restore so the wifi chip probably is toast. I plan to root. Has anyone who bypassed registration figured out what APKs to delete or freeze with Titanium to safely stop the battery drain issue, specifically allowing normal sleep? There,s a generic thread about deleting cell apks but I,m hoping for ideas from somebody who has actually done it without bricking. Thanks again.

w_kn

May 2, 2017
I know it's a resurrection to this thread, but I really would like to know how to do it... The method above just does not work for me :( I bought my Nook in the UK and needed to reset it after a boot loop. What else can I do? I do not see the factory button.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Skip OoBE Experience

Check this out - it shows how to skip it, reset it, etc....

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Factory_Mode/Skip_Out_of_Box_Experience
    Just wanted to point out the Nook Touch has it's own Forum here on XDA. You should be discussing this there.