[ROOT] [STOCK ROM, KERNEL] [ROOTED ROM] Samsung Galaxy Player 4.2 NA(US) YP-GI1CB/XAA

Search This thread

alice90

Jun 17, 2012
Congratulation to all who's been waiting for this!

First things first! Be careful, I'm not to blame if you brick your device.

WARNING - See the second post for reported problems​

This ROMs are for the North American aka US devices (YP-GI1CB), if you have an international device (YP-GI1CW), you should go to this thread which was created by our good friend zebluk. Also there is a wonderful tutorial how to flash the rooted image in that thread, so you can follow it (but use the image from this thread). All credits to zebluk!

So..
-------------

When downloading from the mirrors, be warned, I have not checked them, you should check their integrity by calculating their sha1 hashes and comparing with ones I am providing for each file.

Here is the PIT file.

Here is the STOCK FACTORYFS ROM (size: ~260 MiB, sha1: 709ea3a1594fe4776065308a198e120129652b38)
Mirrors:

Mirror by ECLK09 (password: XDA-DEV)

Here is the STOCK KERNEL (size ~5.2 MiB): sha1: 25235a0ed6ad42cab1743b8f1c141248efb25647)
Mirrors:

-------------

And here is the ROOTED STOCK ROM (size: ~260 MiB, sha1: 64ec57e6254b3c24ad7740b0c2bcad3a6e4bd26c)
Mirrors:

-------------

Password for all the 7zip archives: XDA-DEV

First you should un-7zip your downloaded file, there you will have directoriy with a descriptive name and a tarball archive inside.
You can flash these tarball (without extracting) using Odin v3.04 (Attached) or extract the image file from the tarball archive and flash using Heimdall v1.3.1 (don't use the 1.3.2 version). I've personally tried flashing only with Heimdall under Linux, but Odin should work too.

If you are using Windows and you don't have device drivers, download them from here.

@Good Guy User:
DepositFiles is not the best filesharing service but works well for me, feel free to create mirrors and share links in PM, I'll post them here.

Greetz to: Entropy512 for showing the correct road, zebluk for help and advices, baruch6132 for flashing my untested rooted kernel and dumping the factoryfs, zaclimon and baladev for helping, Benjamin Dobell and Glass Echidna for Heimdall, jazzor for ext4_utils, William Enck for split_bootimg.pl, ECLK09 for providing mirrors for uploaded files, Green Day for being awesome, all who have helped or held breath for this, and to you!

Last edited:

alice90

Jun 17, 2012
Possible problems and workarounds

There are reported cases when the wi-fi stopped working after flashing the rooted factoryfs. And there are two reported solutions:
1. Backup the contents of /system/etc/wifi before flashing to restore them after flashing if you experinece the wi-fi problem. (This is the recommended way)
2. Flash the kernel.

---------------------------------
Added:

As it turned out in the International version (YP-GI1CW) thread, the highly possible reason for this is that there are slightly different versions of the devices. The full code of my device is YP-GI1CB/XAA. If your version is not the XAA (there is, for example, YP-GI1CB/XEG), just backup the contents of your /system/etc/wifi directory before flashing, then rewrite them back if you lose wifi after rooting.

Last edited:

direwolf1

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble figuring out which version to use. I bought my device in the US from a retail store, so I'm assuming it's the US version, but my model number (both under the battery and in the "About Device" section) just says "YP-GI1". The android version is 2.3.6, and kernel is 2.6.35.7-CL1. Any ideas on how to find out if this is a CB or CW device?

Thanks a ton

alice90

Jun 17, 2012
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I'm having trouble figuring out which version to use. I bought my device in the US from a retail store, so I'm assuming it's the US version, but my model number (both under the battery and in the "About Device" section) just says "YP-GI1". The android version is 2.3.6, and kernel is 2.6.35.7-CL1. Any ideas on how to find out if this is a CB or CW device?

Thanks a ton

I'm pretty sure that it's the US version YP-GI1CB.

alice90

Jun 17, 2012
There are two reported cases when the wifi stopped working after flashing the rooted factosyfs.

Please report if you have successfully flashed and rooted without problems, so we can know if those two cases were exceptions due to some still unknown reason or there is a real problem. Thank you.

Reactions: psarraf

sedelman

Sep 19, 2012
Root successful, everything works fine

This is the first time I have rooted using Odin. I followed the instructions on the 4.2 Int. rooting page linked in the top (this is the US version, and I did use the files on this thread). Everything works great, wifi included. I installed AdAway and removed all of the Samsung bloat. Sorry about the pic quality, my nexus 7 vga camera is all that I have near me lol.

IMG_20120918_222502_zps6100a8d3.jpg

Last edited:

AngelBoutto

Jul 6, 2009
Maturin
Hi, could you help me please! This is the firs time for my rooting a SGP 4.2. Can I root it using windows 7? I'm now downloading all the files attached by alice, but (here's the problem) I don't know what I should do with its.

sedelman

Sep 19, 2012
Hi, could you help me please! This is the firs time for my rooting a SGP 4.2. Can I root it using windows 7? I'm now downloading all the files attached by alice, but (here's the problem) I don't know what I should do with its.

Follow the tutorial here (but use the ROM in this thread). It's how I did it. This was my first time using this method as well. The only file you need is the modified (aka rooted) ROM. Works great.

Last edited:

potentiality

Jul 24, 2012
EDIT: NM I still had a nexus 7 tar in the same directory that I confused. Please ignore and thanks to all who got this root to work. Cant wait to we have kernels and such that support voodoo sound.

Last edited:

alice90

Jun 17, 2012
The second post (problems and solutions) has updated.

Users who have experienced the wifi problem after rooting, can you please write here you full device code (e.g. mine is YP-GI1CB/XAA) so we can know whether the problem is the existence of slightly different versions of the same device.

To find out your revision, enter in terminal getprop ril.product_code.

Nouri92

May 25, 2012

Users who have experienced the wifi problem after rooting, can you please write here you full device code (e.g. mine is YP-GI1CB/XAA) so we can know whether the problem is the existence of slightly different versions of the same device.

My model is: YP-GI1CB/XEG

Think you know how I solved my wifi Problem. Kernel Flash and usb jigg :)

Reactions: alice90

alice90

Jun 17, 2012
I finish to install the rom rooted, but I think doesn't work for me. all in my device is the same, and and check with a rooted checker and said your device isn't rooted.

Find the SuperSU app in the menu (it should be there if you flashed successfully) and open it, it will ask a question about replacing the su, confirm it.
Then try to install something that requires root and check whether it works.

psarraf

Jun 23, 2008
Many thanks.

Complete success with Odin 3.04.

I was confused initially with Heimdall and mistakenly tried to load factoryfs.img as a Heimdall package which returned an error about a missing factoryfs.xml file. "factoryfs.img" is not a Heimdall package. If you want to use Heimdall simply to flash the factoryfs.img, I recommend using the command line.

heimdall flash --factoryfs factoryfs.img

No problems with WiFi after the upgrade as my device is YP-GI1CB/XAA, although I backed up my /system/etc/wifi folder just in case.

Thanks.

Last edited:

AngelBoutto

Jul 6, 2009
Maturin
Finally!!! I did! But, now my problem is the RAM! in a few minutes the level of RAM is on the top! And my device start to be frozen for period of time... Could someone help me with that? Someone of you know if we can find ROM's modified?

kvn7918

Sep 4, 2009
Finally!!! I did! But, now my problem is the RAM! in a few minutes the level of RAM is on the top! And my device start to be frozen for period of time... Could someone help me with that? Someone of you know if we can find ROM's modified?
Try rebooting.I had the same problem as you then i rebooted and the problem went away.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This ROMs are for the North American aka US devices (YP-GI1CB), if you have an international device (YP-GI1CW), you should go to this thread which was created by our good friend zebluk. Also there is a wonderful tutorial how to flash the rooted image in that thread, so you can follow it (but use the image from this thread). All credits to zebluk!

So..
    -------------

When downloading from the mirrors, be warned, I have not checked them, you should check their integrity by calculating their sha1 hashes and comparing with ones I am providing for each file.

Here is the PIT file.

Here is the STOCK FACTORYFS ROM (size: ~260 MiB, sha1: 709ea3a1594fe4776065308a198e120129652b38)
    Mirrors:

Here is the STOCK KERNEL (size ~5.2 MiB): sha1: 25235a0ed6ad42cab1743b8f1c141248efb25647)
    Mirrors:

-------------

And here is the ROOTED STOCK ROM (size: ~260 MiB, sha1: 64ec57e6254b3c24ad7740b0c2bcad3a6e4bd26c)
    Mirrors:

-------------

First you should un-7zip your downloaded file, there you will have directoriy with a descriptive name and a tarball archive inside.
    You can flash these tarball (without extracting) using Odin v3.04 (Attached) or extract the image file from the tarball archive and flash using Heimdall v1.3.1 (don't use the 1.3.2 version). I've personally tried flashing only with Heimdall under Linux, but Odin should work too.

If you are using Windows and you don't have device drivers, download them from here.

@Good Guy User:
    DepositFiles is not the best filesharing service but works well for me, feel free to create mirrors and share links in PM, I'll post them here.

Greetz to: Entropy512 for showing the correct road, zebluk for help and advices, baruch6132 for flashing my untested rooted kernel and dumping the factoryfs, zaclimon and baladev for helping, Benjamin Dobell and Glass Echidna for Heimdall, jazzor for ext4_utils, William Enck for split_bootimg.pl, ECLK09 for providing mirrors for uploaded files, Green Day for being awesome, all who have helped or held breath for this, and to you!
    Possible problems and workarounds

There are reported cases when the wi-fi stopped working after flashing the rooted factoryfs. And there are two reported solutions:
    1. Backup the contents of /system/etc/wifi before flashing to restore them after flashing if you experinece the wi-fi problem. (This is the recommended way)
    2. Flash the kernel.

---------------------------------
    Added:

As it turned out in the International version (YP-GI1CW) thread, the highly possible reason for this is that there are slightly different versions of the devices. The full code of my device is YP-GI1CB/XAA. If your version is not the XAA (there is, for example, YP-GI1CB/XEG), just backup the contents of your /system/etc/wifi directory before flashing, then rewrite them back if you lose wifi after rooting.
    There are two reported cases when the wifi stopped working after flashing the rooted factosyfs.

Please report if you have successfully flashed and rooted without problems, so we can know if those two cases were exceptions due to some still unknown reason or there is a real problem. Thank you.

My model is: YP-GI1CB/XEG

Think you know how I solved my wifi Problem. Kernel Flash and usb jigg :)

So..
    -------------

Here is the PIT file.

Mirrors:

Mirrors:

-------------

Mirrors:

-------------

@Good Guy User:

Hi Alice, I flashed the stock kernel to my device and the samsung galaxy sII logo with triangle keeps coming up and then it brings me to the android system recovery screen. How do I remedy this problem? I tried re-flashing both roms you listed and nothing happens.