[kernel] sch-i535 (s3 verizon) rooted insecure kernels - important info!

Search This thread

AdamLange

Dec 9, 2003
Warsaw
Yea i saw that :) i wanted to do this way also :)

i will update OP

anyway. we still need to find a better way :D

OP updated with latest news/info

Last edited:

preusstang

Jan 13, 2011
Isn't OP wrong in saying that you can't flash modified recovery? I'm pretty sure invisiblek has flashed cwm just fine. Plus he put a kernel on there. No disrespect, I just wanna make sure all these threads present consistent info.

s197

Jun 28, 2010
This maybe a stupid question, but why couldn't CWM be reflashed at this point?

You can, however, this whole process circumvents or "tricks" the bootloader by going through the recovery partition so the kernel doesn't stick. Basically if you reboot your phone, you're back to the stock kernel again, which is why this is more of a proof of concept type deal right now.

I think what needs to be taken away from this is Samsung was nice enough to leave some holes to possibly exploit. The devs know there are ways around the bootloader problem right now, it's just that in the current state it's not really a feasible workaround. But that will come with time.

faehsemc

Jun 25, 2011
Titusville
Excuse my tardism on asking this, but why is it insecure kernel... Will there be a secure one.. is there a difference or am I just nuking this idea?

Sent from my vivow using Tapatalk 2

AdamLange

Dec 9, 2003
Warsaw
Please read first post. Unsecured means that adb inside is working as root which some people count as unsecure, thats why its called unsecure. There is no serious issue for user that is using it. :)

Adam

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Guys,

Verizon model is protected from flashing unsigned/modified boot.img and recovery.img. Which means there is no known root method as for now for SCH-I535.
    Stay tuned for more informations as we are doing research now.

Rooted stock boot.img issue:

<ID:0/008> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/008> boot.img
    <ID:0/008> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/008> FAIL! (Auth)

CWM Recovery.img flash issue:

<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/003> recovery.img
    <ID:0/003> NAND Write Start!!
    <ID:0/003>
    <ID:0/003> Complete(Write) operation failed.

Research status: 10%

+ 10% - phone rooted trough system.img tricks -> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885 (by invisiblek)

ROM analysys:

boot.img -> signed
    recovery.img -> signed
    system.img -> not signed
    cache.img -> not signed

Update [7/7/2012]

News about locked Verizon model is spreading over the websites and main tech-related portals. Hopefully we will get some detailed info soon.

Update [7/7/2012]

It looks like it has been rooted by using system.img trick (system.img is not signed)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1756885
    Enjoy! and thanx to invisiblek :) good job!

Thanks!
    YUp im from Poland so no VZN device here :) but i got files and knowledge :) i hope its enough to help you guys.

Adam
    Edited: Moved to another thread.
    I might be able to help

I have a strange phone

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1754173

I was eager to try and flash that insecure image, but perhaps its better I didn't.

I don't know how to dump what I have, but I'm willing to do it if someone can instruct me.
    Locking until cleaned. Go discuss this in general. OP, PM me with any questions.

Edit: Cleaned. Discuss the bootloader issue in the very obvious thread in General.