Thinking about going back to the Gear 1

Search This thread

markyboy81

Aug 19, 2013
I had the Turn By Turn app on my Gear 1 and found a major major problem with GPS based apps on a watch! If they don't put a GPS receiver in the watch and your phone is in your pocket....then nothing will work! So if, for example you wanted to have a walking aid in London to find an address, you would have to be holding your phone in your hand anyway!

Why won't GPS work when the phone's in your pocket?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
Because your body acts as a shield and the GPS receiver can't get a good signal especially in built up areas. Just like if you use a GPS in a car and don't put the receiver near the window

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

markyboy81

Aug 19, 2013
Because your body acts as a shield and the GPS receiver can't get a good signal especially in built up areas. Just like if you use a GPS in a car and don't put the receiver near the window

Hmm have to disagree here modern phones have far more sensitive receivers. I've used gps on the last 3 or 4 phones whilst in my pocket and it's always worked fine.

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
I must have legs made of lead then because I can assure you it was a total fail with my note 3 in London!

noctrin

Sep 6, 2011
GG2's hardware is better than the Gear 1 however the software is way limited compared to Null or the other options you can do with the gear. IMHO.

Once Android or Null or Android Wear is on the Gear 2 then it will be the best smartwatch but until then it's just the best hardware.

Not that much better, gear 1 has a 1.6Ghz dual core ARM, which samsung politely locked to a 800MHz running on a single core, but it's very easy to unlock. Other than that, they have the same screen, ram, battery, camera and storage. I'd say they're about the same hardware wise..

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
Not that much better, gear 1 has a 1.6Ghz dual core ARM, which samsung politely locked to a 800MHz running on a single core, but it's very easy to unlock. Other than that, they have the same screen, ram, battery, camera and storage. I'd say they're about the same hardware wise..

And a lot more people have bought the gear 2/neo which means better app support in the long run

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

diamantericos

Jan 2, 2011
You think? I really didn't mind the Tizen. Why do you think it was a mistake?

Honestly I thing people just don't like change . I see nothing wrong with tizen . Its like the old story windows is better for pc than mobile android is better for smartphone and some tablets . And tizen I would rather more on a watch than a phone. Its also early development. The only thing truly missing is ability to reply from watch to both emails and messages . But we are all different and entitled to our opinion. And if people would pay attention samsung has no intent on reverting as they rumor have tizen planned to update on the galaxy gear.

Sent from my SM-G900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nxneko

Dec 29, 2012
Orlando
My two cents but, for half the price you are losing IR blaster (which is on your phone probably anyways) and the health stuff and gaining null rom and a more open interface. Yes, it is not as water resistant but Ive put mine through hell and it works perfectly. and the camera difference? the camera is good for emergency photos thats it your not gaining much with .1mp. and Yes both watches run Exynos 4412 as stated before which Nulls kernel unlocks to 1600/Dual core.

I wouldn't pay $150 more for IR & the extra stuff...plus its tizen. I will be sticking to my G1 until the price of the Gear 2 drops near its end of cycle for the Gear 3, or if the G3 is a major improvement go for that.

If you dont have a G1 though, just do some research because G1s can be found for $150 everywhere now and it saves you a lot. plus if you REALLY care about the "music player" aspect, Tizen G1 update will bring that so...:) there you have it

Last edited:
Reactions: BassBlaster

markyboy81

Aug 19, 2013
My two cents but, for half the price you are losing IR blaster (which is on your phone probably anyways) and the health stuff and gaining null rom and a more open interface. Yes, it is not as water resistant but Ive put mine through hell and it works perfectly. and the camera difference? the camera is good for emergency photos thats it your not gaining much with .1mp. and Yes both watches run Exynos 4412 as stated before which Nulls kernel unlocks to 1600/Dual core.

I wouldn't pay $150 more for IR & the extra stuff...plus its tizen. I will be sticking to my G1 until the price of the Gear 2 drops near its end of cycle for the Gear 3, or if the G3 is a major improvement go for that.

If you dont have a G1 though, just do some research because G1s can be found for $150 everywhere now and it saves you a lot. plus if you REALLY care about the "music player" aspect, Tizen G1 update will bring that so...:) there you have it

Any news as to when we'll get the Tizen G1 update?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Remember its still a fresh OS . In time we will see development. But honestly I had the gear 1 for a week decided to switch to the gear 2 . Null rom os cool and all but dont really see the need to root a watch . Battery life is way more important. And mind you I pretty much hack or mod anything hackable. From phone to my pc. Which benefit me and save me money but a watch on the other hand can do alot on its own. But we are entitled to our opinion. Price is steep though lol.

Personally, I think switching to Tizen was a mistake. Time will tell. As it is, the application selection is abysmal for a smart watch that's effectively been out for 8 months. And the quality/functionality of many apps is even worse. Just read some of the reviews. But I still love the Gear watches and think we are at the cusp of some pretty exciting developments within the next few years. When Apple releases the iwatch, that's when the technology is really going to heat up between the giants.
    I have a Gear 1 and just got a Gear 2 four days ago--I've been playing with it a lot. So far, I like the 1 better. Tizen may be a great OS but it has limited support/development compared to Android Wear. I can't (yet) side load apps and will likely never be able to use Wondershare MobileGo as I did with the 1. My ebay notifications don't work as they did flawlessly on the 1. The 2's vibrate is very weak even on the strong setting. Battery life is much better on the 2 but I never minded charging once a night. While I'm sure there is a CPU speed difference, I haven't noticed it at any significant rate. As far as looks go, I personally liked the quirkiness of the 1. It gave it personality. Having the home button on the front is more intrusive than on the side as it was on the 1, particularly since there's no lock screen. It was also nice to swipe down on the screen to get to the camera or whatever--now I have to hit the button twice.

The media hype made the 2 sound like it was the second coming. For me, it is far from being ready for prime time. In truth, the 2 is a version 1 with the obligatory bugs that will almost certainly be worked out in the near future. For those who have the patience to wait for new firmware, roots, etc. It will probably be a great device. I'll probably give it a few more weeks as I really want to like it.
    So what will android wear bring that the gear2 can't already do?

Maps maybe

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app