Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

knownboyofno

Mar 23, 2008
Ah, there it is! I looked skimmed back about 10 pages because I thought someone had mentioned it, but I must have missed it. I hate it when that happens. *sigh* Thanks exabrial and dzo for that pointer.

I know that telecom shouldn't be in there. I kept it in there to see if I can get the output to say there was an authentication error. That means that we're at least getting through. Then I'd fudge around with username and password arrangements (whether it's username, username@sprintpcs, username@sprintpcs.com, etc.).

I was primarily wondering about the *'s and whether the username should be in that file as you had said in that post. The mention of username being in the papsecrets in that file was what confused me since that wasn't in your original script.

And I'm a retard, I should have checked logcat. *sigh* Well that's what I get for doing this at 4am.

It seems like I've finally got my feet on the ground now. I'll see if I can get you guys some results later today.

thank you I wish that my computer was working right cuz I would love to help out.

d3mon187

Jul 13, 2008
exactly, I think it's just messages going out at over 160 is the problem.

I agree that the threaded messaging is a lot more helpful, but instead of changing the entire system they could just add a flag to the end of each package that states that the text is continued to the next package, and that way the phone could just organize it into one long message instead of a couple separate texts. Just a thought, but you have to figure that sooner or later they are going to HAVE to do something about the limit.

Nevermind, I take that back. I just got a long message from a friend, and the first part was fine, but the second text came in all garbled. Asked him to resend the second part, and that came in garbled too.

bugzy

Jan 21, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.socaleuro.com
Ah, there it is! I looked skimmed back about 10 pages because I thought someone had mentioned it, but I must have missed it. I hate it when that happens. *sigh* Thanks exabrial and dzo for that pointer.

I know that telecom shouldn't be in there. I kept it in there to see if I can get the output to say there was an authentication error. That means that we're at least getting through. Then I'd fudge around with username and password arrangements (whether it's username, username@sprintpcs, username@sprintpcs.com, etc.).

I was primarily wondering about the *'s and whether the username should be in that file as you had said in that post. The mention of username being in the papsecrets in that file was what confused me since that wasn't in your original script.

And I'm a retard, I should have checked logcat. *sigh* Well that's what I get for doing this at 4am.

It seems like I've finally got my feet on the ground now. I'll see if I can get you guys some results later today.
so .. what am i missing?

is internet on demand working for you?

I'm on sprint also

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
So I sent Martin my logcat output to look over whenever he gets some time. For everyone else interested, the output that stands out to me is the following:

Code:
W/pppd    (  514): LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
I/pppd    (  514): Connection terminated.
W/pppd    (  514): Receive serial link is not 8-bit clean:
W/pppd    (  514): Problem: all had bit 7 set to 0
D/pppd    (  514): using channel 2
I/pppd    (  514): Using interface ppp0
I/pppd    (  514): Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/smd1
W/pppd    (  514): Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets has world and/or group access
D/pppd    (  514): sent P
W/pppd    (  514): tcflush failed: m

Anyone else think they can shed some light on this?

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
so .. what am i missing?

is internet on demand working for you?

I'm on sprint also

You're not missing anything, internet-on-demand is not working yet. I'm doing some footwork for Martin since he isn't on Sprint. I'm also tweaking the script to see if I can figure a few things out to try and alleviate Martin's load (since this is a big portion of the questions being directed at him).

jim256

Nov 26, 2007
so .. what am i missing?...

Just patience ;)

You're not missing anything, internet-on-demand is not working yet. I'm doing some footwork for Martin since he isn't on Sprint. I'm also tweaking the script to see if I can figure a few things out to try and alleviate Martin's load (since this is a big portion of the questions being directed at him).

This is greatly appreciated. Certainly one of the major factors for not using Anroid for me and I'm sure many others on sprint and other like carriers.
(and after that hopefully its on to kb support (somehow) and moving on to the real android open source code!)

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
So, I've been making small changes and checking logcat. Some notes:

1) Whenever pppd tries an using an odd channel, it sends many packets and eventually terminates the connection because of "LCP: timeout." Whenever an even channel is used, I see "tcflush failed: m" and it moves onto the next channel. Oddly coincidental? (ha, unintended pun there...)

Hey Martin, do you see this sort of thing on your device? Do you connect on an odd, even, or either channel?

2) setupmodem.sh echos the password from the command line to the files "papsecrets" and "chapsecrets" but the files that exist there already are "pap-secrets" and "chap-secrets." I tried echoing to all 4 locations with no change in results.

3) Whenever I run the commands manually, I get no output when I run "ifconfig" after my script, but I do see a loopback connection after running setupmodem.sh. This is probably because of the telnet command at the end of the setupmodem.sh script. I haven't checked that though.

4) I'm thinking of trying the "noauth" option for ppp to see if that helps. Any reason not to?

Anyone else have some ppp experience in linux?

Last edited:

SyubSnunb

Dec 29, 2007
Nevermind, I take that back. I just got a long message from a friend, and the first part was fine, but the second text came in all garbled. Asked him to resend the second part, and that came in garbled too.

I know a fair amount about the GSM standard (due to my job; also ironic that i have a CDMA phone). You can find a lot of info about the GSM standard on the www.3gpp.org website. For info on the initial technical realization of SMS look at the 23.040 and the protocol is in 24.011. The short version of the spec is that there is a 134 byte (don't ask me why they picked 134 that's just what the spec says; but my guess is they did some analysis to figure out how long they estimated the average message would be along with the amount of time it takes to send an SMS over the secondary channel when you have traffic up supporting a call) TP-UD that contains the actual text of your message (it's packaged in a RP and CP layers). This text is typically encoded in a 7 bit schema so 134*8/7 = 153 characters is the limit of a single text message. However they did add functionality to allow for concatenated SMSs. Basically the protocol supports a set of transactions to be given sequence numbers. But it's up to the application handling the SMS to take a message greater than 153 characters, break it up giving each message the correct sequence number and then send each as an individual SMS. Then the application on the phone receiving the SMSs is responsible for collecting the SMSs and putting them back together based on the sequence numbers. Many of the original GSM phones had applications didn't use the concatenated SMS they would simply limit you to 153 characters per SMS and when the received concatenated SMSs they would simply display them as separate SMSs. Now I'm not really sure how the CDMA standard emulates SMS but my guess is that it simply encapsulates the GSM standard. Hope this helps you understand where the limit is coming from.

njakobs

Nov 17, 2007
Wellington
Ok so we have a working kernel due to all the magical work by martin.

Would a quicker path forward to be to take an android image from an existing G1 and putting that on our vogues to run on Matin's linux kernel?

This would give us all the apps people want. Market, gmail, calendar etc

I am sure I am missing a whole heap of technical aspects here but it seems possible to me if my understanding of the relationship between linux to kernel to Android is right.

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
I got android to lock up on my through my tinkering.

1) I established a network connection in windows mobile and went over to android. Even though the internet connection works, ifconfig outputs nothing. Annoying.

2) I went to a website to find my IP, ran telnetd, and connected to to my vogue remotely. I ran "ls" from telnet and noticed that my vogue's screen woke up showing the "press menu to unlock" screen. I watched it to see if anything else would happen and eventually it turned back off. I ran "ls" through telnet again and I got no telnet response. It was then that I noticed that the LED was now flashing orange instead of red.

Maybe a bug in the collapse framework?

And I need to check previous posts to find out what the orange LED means again.

Besides that, nothing new to report (other than I have been neglecting my work and need to stop working on this tonight).

Last edited:

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
I got android to lock up on my through my tinkering.

1) I established a network connection in windows mobile and went over to android. Even though the internet connection works, ifconfig outputs nothing. Annoying.

2) I went to a website to find my IP, ran telnetd, and connected to to my vogue remotely. I ran "ls" from telnet and noticed that my vogue's screen woke up showing the "press menu to unlock" screen. I watched it to see if anything else would happen and eventually it turned back off. I ran "ls" through telnet again and I got no telnet response. It was then that I noticed that the LED was now flashing orange instead of red.

Maybe a bug in the collapse framework?

And I need to check previous posts to find out what the orange LED means again.

Besides that, nothing new to report (other than I have been neglecting my work and need to stop working on this tonight).

I had the same thing happen to me today and I think I found the problem. I put a new release on the site that should fix it (only zImage has changed).
I'm still trying to get the camera working, it's quite close, perhaps a few more days.

Try /bin/ifconfig, it seems the android one doesn't work but the busybox one does.

Last edited:

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
So, I've been making small changes and checking logcat. Some notes:

1) Whenever pppd tries an using an odd channel, it sends many packets and eventually terminates the connection because of "LCP: timeout." Whenever an even channel is used, I see "tcflush failed: m" and it moves onto the next channel. Oddly coincidental? (ha, unintended pun there...)

Hey Martin, do you see this sort of thing on your device? Do you connect on an odd, even, or either channel?

2) setupmodem.sh echos the password from the command line to the files "papsecrets" and "chapsecrets" but the files that exist there already are "pap-secrets" and "chap-secrets." I tried echoing to all 4 locations with no change in results.

3) Whenever I run the commands manually, I get no output when I run "ifconfig" after my script, but I do see a loopback connection after running setupmodem.sh. This is probably because of the telnet command at the end of the setupmodem.sh script. I haven't checked that though.

4) I'm thinking of trying the "noauth" option for ppp to see if that helps. Any reason not to?

Anyone else have some ppp experience in linux?

This would explain why it only works in NZ, I was writing the password into the wrong file. The latest initrd should be better.

qwho

Feb 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
This would explain why it only works in NZ, I was writing the password into the wrong file. The latest initrd should be better.

So now the password is in the correct location, does this mean if we have the correct login info in default.txt that there is a chance this will work for sprint users now?

grktaurus83

Feb 9, 2008
So now the password is in the correct location, does this mean if we have the correct login info in default.txt that there is a chance this will work for sprint users now?

Like I said in a previous post, I tried echoing the password info into all of the locations (correct and incorrect) before the changes were made and I did not see a difference in the results.

I tested it again a little while ago, and still no luck. There are still a few tests left for me to do before I can make a more definite statement.

Looks like I'll be getting no sleep tonight.

brunes

Dec 9, 2006
I had the same thing happen to me today and I think I found the problem. I put a new release on the site that should fix it (only zImage has changed).
I'm still trying to get the camera working, it's quite close, perhaps a few more days.

Try /bin/ifconfig, it seems the android one doesn't work but the busybox one does.

dzo, when you get the camera working, you will have to PM me your address so i can mail you a beer, or a 6 pack :p

d3mon187

Jul 13, 2008
Nooooooo, I have been running android without problem for 2.5 days now and I just looked over and its flashing orange and non responsive. No idea what caused it, and it doesn't respond to calls or anything even though the calls DO NOT go straight to voicemail like they would if it was off.

qwho

Feb 5, 2007
Pittsburgh
with the latest build, when i open Browser, it opens to default Google page, but when i open another page using bookmark, it opens the page, but closes Browser immediately.

i tried inputing a URL also

Maybe reboot and try again, that's happened to me about once on every build on the first couple bootups...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..