1,076 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,270

By Kremata, Senior Member on 26th April 2013, 10:00 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th May 2013, 01:50 AM |#101  
Flag CHUUZ3D Galaxy
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Are u talking about multiview? Theres an app that u can download but requires root: samsung multi window manager

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium
12th May 2013, 04:43 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
The Samsung Game Controller looks Class!
12th May 2013, 05:13 PM |#103  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientificharmony

The Samsung Game Controller looks Class!

Is it available?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda app-developers app
12th May 2013, 06:28 PM |#104  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This is my first android device ever and I'm not rooted. I was always jail broken on my iPhone but I find I don't need that level now,I can install themes, animated wallpapers etc. At this moment in time I can't see what major benefits root can offer me. But having said that, I've seen 2apps that look really useful on root, apps on sd card and adding any app to multi view.

And yeah I'm a little scared of bricking it too, but it all seems very complex with different roms etc, wish there was an easy method like a jail break.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
12th May 2013, 07:23 PM |#105  
OP Senior Member
Montreal-Shanghai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnammit

This is my first android device ever and I'm not rooted. I was always jail broken on my iPhone but I find I don't need that level now,I can install themes, animated wallpapers etc. At this moment in time I can't see what major benefits root can offer me. But having said that, I've seen 2apps that look really useful on root, apps on sd card and adding any app to multi view.

And yeah I'm a little scared of bricking it too, but it all seems very complex with different roms etc, wish there was an easy method like a jail break.

Rooting is not so complicated and can bring you countless advantages. Better battery life, better sound, faster smoother phone, full control on phone's appearance(change color and position of clock or toggles button) etc...

This said, rooting is something you should only do if you feel comfortable with the idea and if you really feel a need for it. Yes there is a risk of bricking the phone(very small risk) this is why we cannot stress enough people to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

At the end it all depends on you. If you're satisfied with your phone like this, don't root it.

P.S. Rooting doesn't mean you need to install new ROM, you can just make a simple rooting very easily.
12th May 2013, 08:51 PM |#106  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 203

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremata

Rooting is not so complicated and can bring you countless advantages. Better battery life, better sound, faster smoother phone, full control on phone's appearance(change color and position of clock or toggles button) etc...

This said, rooting is something you should only do if you feel comfortable with the idea and if you really feel a need for it. Yes there is a risk of bricking the phone(very small risk) this is why we cannot stress enough people to READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

At the end it all depends on you. If you're satisfied with your phone like this, don't root it.

P.S. Rooting doesn't mean you need to install new ROM, you can just make a simple rooting very easily.

And for those that are technically curious, rooting and possibly installing a new ROM is to a long time Android user what jail breaking is to a long time iPhone user -- it's a kind of natural progression for the technically curious who wants to see their device be able to do more -- to push it beyond its current limitations.

No big deal if you don't see the need to root -- many don't. I like the stock ROM and apps on my last phone for two years, so I never rooted it -- same with my S4, but I might root it one day. But the same week I bought my Kindle Fire, I rooted it and installed a new ROM that turned it into a much more powerful and full-fledged tablet computer than the $200 book reader it was as purchased.

Rooting just give you more control to transform the device into something a bit different than it was sold for.
12th May 2013, 10:48 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruuvin

And for those that are technically curious, rooting and possibly installing a new ROM is to a long time Android user what jail breaking is to a long time iPhone user -- it's a kind of natural progression for the technically curious who wants to see their device be able to do more -- to push it beyond its current limitations.

No big deal if you don't see the need to root -- many don't. I like the stock ROM and apps on my last phone for two years, so I never rooted it -- same with my S4, but I might root it one day. But the same week I bought my Kindle Fire, I rooted it and installed a new ROM that turned it into a much more powerful and full-fledged tablet computer than the $200 book reader it was as purchased.

Rooting just give you more control to transform the device into something a bit different than it was sold for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kremata

Thats what i pretty much what i had in mind, rooting is just androids version of JB. I always JB my idevices on the first day available, but rooting seems a lot more technical, also with JB i didnt enjoy lags and poorer battery sometimes and from my understanding rooting has similar issues, although i have read in some cases it can actually improve performance and battery life.

My first experience with android so far- with apps like pie control and intelliring, rooting doesnt appeal just yet, have those features alone are just WOW coming from an iphone, but the one reason i joined this forum was to gain more knowledge about rooting, as inevitably ill be going down that road...some day.
12th May 2013, 11:31 PM |#108  
OP Senior Member
Montreal-Shanghai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnammit

Thats what i pretty much what i had in mind, rooting is just androids version of JB. I always JB my idevices on the first day available, but rooting seems a lot more technical, also with JB i didnt enjoy lags and poorer battery sometimes and from my understanding rooting has similar issues, although i have read in some cases it can actually improve performance and battery life.

My first experience with android so far- with apps like pie control and intelliring, rooting doesnt appeal just yet, have those features alone are just WOW coming from an iphone, but the one reason i joined this forum was to gain more knowledge about rooting, as inevitably ill be going down that road...some day.

There is no reason why rooting your phone would reduce(or improve) your battery life or slow down(or speed up) your phone. Rooting you phone simply give you permission to access system folders that's all. But now that you have access you can now install apps that will improve or slow down(depending if the app is good) battery life etc...

When you root a phone you basically remove the self-protection the system have. So if you start installing all kind of bad apps (specially cracks) you might end up with apps accessing some system file and doing bad things to the phone. Also some custom ROM are BETA or in a testing state so if you flash one of those well yes your phone might not behave like it should. Once again you need to READ before flashing.
13th May 2013, 06:58 AM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Great thread thank you!
13th May 2013, 07:35 AM |#110  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 0

More
hello, everyone, i am fresh... and thank you for the [Novice Guide], helpful.
13th May 2013, 08:50 PM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
fostch higby
Why do some GS4's have a black UI/Menu interface and some have a white/light colored UI? anyone?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)