Compass not functioning

Search This thread

jjm3175

Jan 18, 2011
I just bought a dvp direct from dell and so far I like it. directions work fine..maps etc. I never used the compass on my iPhone or atrix. My dvp seems to be a decent phone thus far.

Sent from my Venue Pro using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
Compass

So there is no chance in getting Compass to work on this phone? I know there some geniuses on this board what would it take?
I read somewhere someone did an 8107 update it does not fix compass.
It be nice if Tango fixes it I guess will have to see.

heineken78

Mar 3, 2009
Kiev
www.mediafire.com
there is nothing in MS updates that will fix compass in future too. untill dell releases its own uptade with oem regitry fix as i mensioned in prev post. compass is just disabled in registry in drivers by oem update released in august.

Bongo2k

Nov 28, 2006
Dell has an opportunity to fix this in Tango. I'd encourage you to write Dell and make sure this gets fixed then. The windows is closing on when there will be any more official updates from Dell. the least they can do is get the device running right before abandoning it.....such a thing would build good will towards their eventual Windows 8 devices.

Dell have pretty much abandoned the Venue Pro.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well here is the problem...during the update this is what happend:
    Code:
    NkUpdate succeeded.
    NkUpdate: Writing the NK partition...
    NkUpdate: Successfully wrote the NK partition.

**** Starting IMGFS Update @ 16:46:58 ****
        Deleting file compassDrv.dll.

So yeah...good one dell
    I just Sent this to Dell support and the dell board of directors:
    Dell:
    Today I called Tech support up to see if there was any information on the Dell Venue Pro’s compass not working after upgrading to Windows Phone Mango / 7.5. It took a good 5 minutes to explain to the technician what a compass was, that it was a part of the phone, and then he thought I was talking about an android phone. Finally he talked to a supervisor and told me it was “A compatibility issue”. I do not like being lied to! I know for a certain fact that the compassDrv.dll was deleted during the update process. It was the only file to be deleted!!! My logs and the File Copy tool in the engineering mode application provided with the phone back this fact up.

Here is an excerpt from the UpdateApp.Log from my device
    ================================================
    START OF UPDATEAPP INFO MESSAGES
    ================================================
    SETTING THE INSTALLING UPDATE STATE.

**** STARTING IMGFS UPDATE SIMULATION @ 16:46:32 ****
    DELETING FILE COMPASSDRV.DLL.

Now with almost any other WM7.5 phone on the market, I could simply deploy the compassDrv.dll file from another phone. But since Dell has yet to release any applications that support homebrew/advanced development for their phone this is impossible.

Please either fix the issue by the end of the month and/or give us a way to edit the registry to get the interop unlock working so we can have native com access and fix it ourselves. Us developers like to tinker with our phones so please give us the option to do so.

Lastly, I am a developer and I was planning on making an application that uses the compass. Now I can’t and am potentially losing revenue for my company. This is not acceptable.

Thank you,
    Windows Phone Developer and Disgruntled Fan
    Using the file browser I see they uploaded a file called CompassDrv_ms.dll but all the programs are trying to use CompassDrv.dll.
    The ball is in Microsoft's hands. I'm going to give them another week before contacting their executive support.