Samsung Galaxy Phone Rapid Charger Mod

Search This thread

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones.

8 $ ebay cheap wall battery charger power output specs:

350 mA battery charging speed - doesnt matter...
800 mA USB port.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!! more the better. nice if the phone would use all of it... Need AC Mode... (thats what this post is for!)
Samsung wall USB charger is only 750mA! AND it will set AC mode.

The theory behind it is with samsung galaxy phones and "official chargers":
if the middle 2 data pins on the usb, while getting 5v to the outer 2 pins it tells the phone that it is an *official samsung* charger and enables full speed charging.

without the middle 2 pins connected (with or without data flow) will not charge at full speed. even if you supply 800mA it will only charge around 350mA

well there have been posts of cable hacks to do this or adapters... ha! tape and tinfoil... or hack the cable apart! And you cant use the cable with the PC anymore!
heres my mod... bend 2 pins.. DONE! solder if you know how for better connection!

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

Phone confirms AC charging NOT USB NOW!!
Now i can leave my Samsung Charger upstairs, and this one downstairs.

Rapid%20Charger.JPG

You know how long it takes to charge an extended battery on USB mode? almost 5 hours! or at 350 mah in the battery charger? almost 7 hours!
I was able to charge my extended battery (says 2500mah) from 8% to 100% in about 2 hours 45 min over USB cable (AC mode) with the screen off. In the official samsung charger it was a little over 3 hours. just in the battery cradle it takes around 5-6 hours. Very much improved!

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Good guide. I did the same modification to my Verizon car charging cable. I don't have Verizon, but I swapped an iPhone car charger with a verizon user who got rid of his Motorola Android.

This mod works on any charger. The device will always display "Charging(AC)" and this enables full charging capability.

I modded my cable by taking apart the microUSB connector and dropping a bit of solder between pins 2 and 3 on the back side of the connector. It works great.

Do not do this on a cable which may be connected to a PC. If the PC is older and does not have overcurrent protection, it may fry the USB Power Supply.

nst6563

Mar 15, 2011
You could also use one of those short usb extender cables that come with some usb dongles. I did that with one of mine and it works great. Don't even have to take the cable apart just carve out a small part of the plastic connector between the pins and bridge it with solder. Or use a conductive pen- haven't tried that though.

jwleonhart

Feb 11, 2011
Wow i'm so lost, so does this apply to the vibrant...

You know maybe I have had my foot up my ass for sometime then..

I ALWAYS charge my phone with the USB charger connected to the computer and it seems to take forever...

You must forgive me but I always leave my phone charging on my PC everynight and have actually lost the AC power wall plug portion...

Will connecting this through the USB of the computer also only supply the 350mA instead of the full 800mA like your saying, or will the computer always deliver the sexy amount?

Thank you sir, you are a genius?

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk

I ALWAYS charge my phone with the USB charger connected to the computer and it seems to take forever...

You must forgive me but I always leave my phone charging on my PC everynight and have actually lost the AC power wall plug portion...

Will connecting this through the USB of the computer also only supply the 350mA instead of the full 800mA like your saying, or will the computer always deliver the sexy amount?

Most of PCs provide up to 500mA on single USB port or on pair of ports, haven't heard about mainboard which doesn't throotle it and let power drain go higher.
However, you can mod usb cable with 2 male and 1female connectors, that kind for powering external hard drives.

CastleBravo

Dec 29, 2011
Los Angeles
Now obviously you have the 5V, Ground, and data, but then where would you add in more power?

The talk about connecting the pins 2 and 3 is only an indication to the phone. Normally, usb ports from computers, etc. will only provide 500 mA of current. Typical wall adapters provide 1000 mA of current. Samsung phones will normally only draw the smaller amount of current, unless pins 2 and 3 are shorted, which tells the phone to charge at the full rate of 1000 mA.

So pin 1 still carriers power, it just carries more power when connected to a source capable of providing the power (e.g. most wall adapters), and pins 2 and 3 tell the phone to accept the increased power.

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton

if the 2 data pins arent joined the phone WILL NOT receive anymore than 350. this tells the phone "im an official charger, take more!"
if you are going to mod a cable to have the 2 data pins joined, make sure the 2 pins shorted on the phone end and NOT THE PC END of the cable, and NOT BOTH EITHER. shorting the data pins on the computer side can blow your usb port.... or more.

Reactions: kmbd and nk_blu

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Do you mean to build a kernel that has different settings for the USB resistor input? What/where was the specific change you made?

Lukiqq

Jul 19, 2007
Lubań
Asus Zenfone 9
Do you mean to build a kernel that has different settings for the USB resistor input? What/where was the specific change you made?

Voltage regulator and the charging current part: max8998-private.h, a file that contains charging values in mA:

Code:
#define MAX8998_ICHG_90		0
#define MAX8998_ICHG_380	1
#define MAX8998_ICHG_475	2
#define MAX8998_ICHG_550	3
#define MAX8998_ICHG_570	4
#define MAX8998_ICHG_600	5
#define MAX8998_ICHG_700	6
#define MAX8998_ICHG_800	7

Battery driver part: s5pc110_battery.c and defined AC and USB charging rates (modified by me to 800mA when on AC and 550mA on USB):

Code:
                      if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_AC)
				max8998_write_reg(i2c, MAX8998_REG_CHGR1,
					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_10	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
					(MAX8998_RSTR_DISABLE	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_RSTR) |
					(MAX8998_ICHG_800	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));
			else if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_USB)
					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_25	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
					(MAX8998_ICHG_550	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));

One more thing in i9000 kernel sources: drivers/usb/gadget/android.c

Code:
#ifdef CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE
/* soonyong.cho : This value of max power is referred from S1 */
	[COLOR="Red"].bMaxPower	= 0x30, /* 96ma */[/COLOR]
#else /* original */
	[COLOR="YellowGreen"].bMaxPower	= 0xFA, /* 500ma */[/COLOR]
#endif /* CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE

from where I removed the condition to make it look like that:
Code:

BEFORE:
96ma.jpg

AFTER:
500ma.jpg

Last edited:

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Now that's the kind of stuff we like to see!

NOW ENGLISH IMAGE (non android related)...

USB%20Hub%20Properties.JPG

Last edited:

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Is there any particular reason why you did not move USB speed to match the PC speed? Was it to avoid drawing too much power from your USB port?

Lukiqq

Jul 19, 2007
Lubań
Asus Zenfone 9
Is there any particular reason why you did not move USB speed to match the PC speed? Was it to avoid drawing too much power from your USB port?

Yes and no, because single USB port cannot deliver more than 500mA, but if you use two ports simultaneously, you are able to use full 800mA charging current which is limited by the kernel driver so there is no way to charm the phone.

SAI Peregrinus

Dec 14, 2010
I just tried this and it worked perfectly, thanks! Very easy soldering job.
EDIT: Used my $8 radioshack iron, it was plenty. No need to break out the Hakko station for this.

Last edited:

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
some kernel devs on ICS SGS project seem to think the above kernel change to up the USB mode to 500mah (less than AC mode) could cause the battery to explode, or damage the phone, or fry the USB ports of the computer..... and the batteries *like* being charged slower anyway... lithium ion batteries... but its all "simple chemistry" according to "one of them".. ignoring simple electronics...

i dont know where to start on how many things are wrong with what they think.... but I am not a kernel compiling god like them..... so I am no-one to tell them different.... (in their eyes).

making the suggestion of the above kernel change. led to a 20 minute bashing session of how i am wrong.
i just wanted to suggest, and leave. not really caring if they liked it or not. but ignorance is a powerful foe.

anyone wanna explain for me?

makes me re-think donating to people i dont know.

Last edited:

Lukiqq

Jul 19, 2007
Lubań
Asus Zenfone 9
some kernel devs on ICS SGS project seem to think the above kernel change to up the USB mode to 500mah (less than AC mode) could cause the battery to explode, or damage the phone, or fry the USB ports of the computer..... and the batteries *like* being charged slower anyway... lithium ion batteries... but its all "simple chemistry" according to "one of them".. ignoring simple electronics...

i dont know where to start on how many things are wrong with what they think.... but I am not a kernel compiling god like them..... so I am no-one to tell them different.... (in their eyes).

making the suggestion of the above kernel change. led to a 20 minute bashing session of how i am wrong.
i just wanted to suggest, and leave. not really caring if they liked it or not. but ignorance is a powerful foe.

anyone wanna explain for me?

makes me re-think donating to people i dont know.

So now you know why you didn't saw any info about my interesting finding... ^^

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TRusselo

Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
we need to have software devs that understand hardware...

im too much in the middle. lol

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This post will show you how to MOD an un-official Samsung USB wall charger into one that will enable full speed charging on Samsung Galaxy S phones.

8 $ ebay cheap wall battery charger power output specs:

350 mA battery charging speed - doesnt matter...
    800 mA USB port.. THIS IS WHAT YOU WANT!! more the better. nice if the phone would use all of it... Need AC Mode... (thats what this post is for!)
    Samsung wall USB charger is only 750mA! AND it will set AC mode.

The theory behind it is with samsung galaxy phones and "official chargers":
    if the middle 2 data pins on the usb, while getting 5v to the outer 2 pins it tells the phone that it is an *official samsung* charger and enables full speed charging.

without the middle 2 pins connected (with or without data flow) will not charge at full speed. even if you supply 800mA it will only charge around 350mA

well there have been posts of cable hacks to do this or adapters... ha! tape and tinfoil... or hack the cable apart! And you cant use the cable with the PC anymore!
    heres my mod... bend 2 pins.. DONE! solder if you know how for better connection!

***only use this charger for samsung phones, not all USB devices will like this, -may dammage some- as the samsung phone is PROGRAMMED to know what to do if the 2 data pins are shorted out***

Phone confirms AC charging NOT USB NOW!!
    Now i can leave my Samsung Charger upstairs, and this one downstairs.

Rapid%20Charger.JPG

You know how long it takes to charge an extended battery on USB mode? almost 5 hours! or at 350 mah in the battery charger? almost 7 hours!
    I was able to charge my extended battery (says 2500mah) from 8% to 100% in about 2 hours 45 min over USB cable (AC mode) with the screen off. In the official samsung charger it was a little over 3 hours. just in the battery cradle it takes around 5-6 hours. Very much improved!
    Good guide. I did the same modification to my Verizon car charging cable. I don't have Verizon, but I swapped an iPhone car charger with a verizon user who got rid of his Motorola Android.

This mod works on any charger. The device will always display "Charging(AC)" and this enables full charging capability.

I modded my cable by taking apart the microUSB connector and dropping a bit of solder between pins 2 and 3 on the back side of the connector. It works great.

Do not do this on a cable which may be connected to a PC. If the PC is older and does not have overcurrent protection, it may fry the USB Power Supply.

Voltage regulator and the charging current part: max8998-private.h, a file that contains charging values in mA:

Code:
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_90		0
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_380	1
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_475	2
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_550	3
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_570	4
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_600	5
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_700	6
    #define MAX8998_ICHG_800	7

Battery driver part: s5pc110_battery.c and defined AC and USB charging rates (modified by me to 800mA when on AC and 550mA on USB):

Code:
                          if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_AC)
    					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_10	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
    					(MAX8998_ICHG_800	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));
    			else if (chg->cable_status == CABLE_TYPE_USB)
    					(MAX8998_TOPOFF_25	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_TOPOFF) |
    					(MAX8998_ICHG_550	<< MAX8998_SHIFT_ICHG));

One more thing in i9000 kernel sources: drivers/usb/gadget/android.c

Code:
    #ifdef CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE
    /* soonyong.cho : This value of max power is referred from S1 */
    	[COLOR="Red"].bMaxPower	= 0x30, /* 96ma */[/COLOR]
    #else /* original */
    #endif /* CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_SAMSUNG_COMPOSITE

from where I removed the condition to make it look like that:
    Code:

BEFORE:
    96ma.jpg

AFTER:
    500ma.jpg
    usbcable.jpg

Here is a picture of the pinouts in a usb cable..

Now obviously you have the 5V, Ground, and data, but then where would you add in more power?

if the 2 data pins arent joined the phone WILL NOT receive anymore than 350. this tells the phone "im an official charger, take more!"
    if you are going to mod a cable to have the 2 data pins joined, make sure the 2 pins shorted on the phone end and NOT THE PC END of the cable, and NOT BOTH EITHER. shorting the data pins on the computer side can blow your usb port.... or more.