Off topic, but i trust you guys

270 posts
Thanks Meter: 38

By awilson77584, Senior Member on 6th July 2013, 09:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've noticed that the quality of discussion in the TF700 forums is much better than most at XDA. It is getting to be time to replace my Evo 4G. I shattered the screen yesterday. I like that the Samsung S4 has a quad core processor, replaceable battery, and takes microSD cards. Does anyone have experience rooting them and applying/doing the type of ROM/kernel optimization like is done here? Or, should i look at another option? I was even thinking of getting an S III as an option. Thx!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app
6th July 2013, 09:52 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
I've got a rooted S4 it's very easy and almost fool proof due to the PIT function of Odin
The Following User Says Thank You to KinetiClutch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KinetiClutch Ad-Free
7th July 2013, 01:33 AM |#3  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,300

More
The quality level of discussions is directly related to the price of the device.

I do not have any experience with the S4, sadly.
7th July 2013, 01:55 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Thx for the replies. I'm going with the S4

7th July 2013, 10:22 AM |#5  
Flag Ohio
Thanks Meter: 1,137

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson77584

I've noticed that the quality of discussion in the TF700 forums is much better than most at XDA. It is getting to be time to replace my Evo 4G. I shattered the screen yesterday. I like that the Samsung S4 has a quad core processor, replaceable battery, and takes microSD cards. Does anyone have experience rooting them and applying/doing the type of ROM/kernel optimization like is done here? Or, should i look at another option? I was even thinking of getting an S III as an option. Thx!

Look what I am on atm . I have the at&t version and I must say it is am excellent device. However with all the stock bloody it can bog down but with modding being easy if you find the information, which is almost impossible as it looks
like a tornado went through that forum cm it is fairly simply and I think only maybe 4 or 5 people have actually bricked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinetiClutch

I've got a rooted S4 it's very easy and almost fool proof due to the PIT function of Odin

Did you see my post over there? Even with PIT and Odin my phone was still bricked until I git kies to see my phone, but even after that it still would boot but after I ran kies I let it sit without the battery for 10 minutes and it finally got into the recovery. Since if the most stressful 6 hours of my life trying to get my phone working again. It just goes to show no matter your experience and the recovery options available you can still brick your phone.

Tylor

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowLea

The quality level of discussions is directly related to the price of the device.

I do not have any experience with the S4, sadly.

I agree and with not a ton of people in this section it keeps things calm and tranquil. Even over in the s4 forms coming over here is like being at home. Though there are some great people over there as well.

Tylor

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
7th July 2013, 10:31 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Ouch, how did you manage that? I suppose atleast it still booted!
7th July 2013, 07:57 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 444

More
If even PIT repartitioning failed, it must have been pretty bad indeed. If the S4 is anything like the S2, ODIN will save your bacon many times, but if you really, really, really give it your best shot, it is of course brickable.

I've debated going S4, but it will be at least two more years until the 4G network is broadly available here in the Netherlands, The S3 is not an immense upgrade currently, as I use the 700 for most things Android anyway... Guess I'll go sim-only for now and save my money for the next best things next year.

Hey, there's still some economic crisis raging, y'know?
8th July 2013, 06:22 AM |#8  
Flag Ohio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KinetiClutch

Ouch, how did you manage that? I suppose atleast it still booted!

It was really bad but at least I recovered it. Some folks who did what I did couldn't get it working but
I tried many things to get it back going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyHulskemper

If even PIT repartitioning failed, it must have been pretty bad indeed. If the S4 is anything like the S2, ODIN will save your bacon many times, but if you really, really, really give it your best shot, it is of course brickable.

I've debated going S4, but it will be at least two more years until the 4G network is broadly available here in the Netherlands, The S3 is not an immense upgrade currently, as I use the 700 for most things Android anyway... Guess I'll go sim-only for now and save my money for the next best things next year.

Well from what I understand the stock zip for the s4 does not include the recovery partition. Somehow the kernel and recovery went boom and all it would do is go into Odin, otherwise it just stayed black and vibrated every 3 seconds, not even the boot loader logo showed. It was very scary but I am now more familiar with Odin and how to unbrick it. Now that I am thinking about it the other people may of been able to recover it. If this would of happened then the s4 would be unbrickable. There is no official unlock only an exploit pointed for the kernel. What must of happened when I had tried flashing an unpatched kernel, so it would flash, and a Rom incompatible with it all it screwed it all up. The s4 is a wonderful device however I would give it a little more time should you mod because things need more time to move forward. However if you wait to long Samsung or AT&T may patch the exploit.

Tylor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk HD
8th July 2013, 07:22 AM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Contributor
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 2,117

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylorw1

It was really bad but at least I recovered it. Some folks who did what I did couldn't get it working but
I tried many things to get out back going.

Well from what I understand the stock zip for the s4 does not include the recovery partition. Somehow the kernel and recovery went boom and at it would do is go into Odin, otherwise it just stayed black and vibrated every 3 seconds, not even the boot loader logo showed. It was very scary but I doing so o am more familiar with Odin and how to unbrick it. Now that I am thinking the other people may of been able to recover it. If this would if happened then the s4 would be unbrickable. There is no official unlock only an exploit pointed for the kernel. What must of happened what I had tried flashing an unpatched kernel, so it would flash, and a Rom incompatible with it all it screwed it all up. The s4 is a wonderful device however I would give it a little more time should you mod because things need more time to move forward. However if you wait to long Samsung or AT&T may patch the exploit.

Tylor

Taylor! Please! Turn off auto-correct or whatever you are using! I'm always interested in your posts, but lately they get garbled so bad - it's hard to make out what you're trying to say

And congrats on pulling your new toy back from the abyss!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
8th July 2013, 07:31 AM |#10  
Flag Ohio

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by berndblb

Taylor! Please! Turn off auto-correct or whatever you are using! I'm always interested in your posts, but lately they get garbled so bad - it's hard to make out what you're trying to say

And congrats on pulling your new toy back from the abyss!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Lol it is Swype maybe I should go back to the regular keyboard haha. I'll fix it up. It's mostly the words it go to our or if and or goes to our it's very confusing lol.

Tylor

8th July 2013, 12:25 PM |#11  
Flag Enschede, The Netherlands
Thanks Meter: 1,300

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyHulskemper

Oh I know... I just did the same thing last week

Had to renew my T-mo contract. They bloody cheated me out of my 800 euro prepaid stack, but alas. Getting a 2GB 90 minute plan with an S4 would cost me €40 a month AND €400 for the phone.. Nuhuh, I'll keep my S3, cheers... SimOnly is €23 for the same thing.

That and the last thing I want is a branded phone.

For now I'm waiting to see what the Note 3's going to be. Loving the sound of an S800 with 3GB ram
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)