Other Device and/or upgrading discussion here

Search This thread

TheSocalGuy79

Feb 9, 2011
Orange County, California
Coming from this thread,
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2446195

In case you didn't know, Sprint store employees are NOT allowed to tell customers about upcoming events or promotions.
Trust me, they do know about such things.
I know this because a sprint store employee told me that they do know about upcoming promotional events.

Lol my Sprint store tells me all the time about promos and up coming events.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

T-Mobile absolutely has LTE. And theirs is at least 20 times faster than Sprint's LTE here. I'm on Sprint LTE at home, and I just got 124 kbps down and 300 up. That's actually pretty good for their LTE! And it's been launched here for a few months. I guess that's what you get when you launch LTE handsets before you even have an LTE network to use them on anywhere in the nation. Once it's turned on, there are thousands of handsets sucking down the bandwidth as soon as it's turned on. Would probably help if they weren't running each tower off of one single Comcast cable modem...

Obviously that last part isn't true. but they shouldn't be selling or having LTE service here, if 124 kbps is there idea of LTE.

Really? In my area of Orange County Ca Sprints LTE speeds are far faster then T-Mobile. Guess it just depends on location.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

DizturbedOne

Nov 9, 2012
Sacramento
Sprint barely has data coverage outside of major cities at all, let alone LTE. I've been with them for 3 years. Had the Nexus S 4G for a year when it came out. Saw that 4G (WiMax) almost never, let alone the new LTE, which I've NEVER Seen on my S4. Is there no LTE icon on Sprints S4? Even if so, 4G is still hard to come by, and is slow. Reception is terrible around town. You have to drive AROUND the city for reception, not through it, or it gets spotty. I'm in Sacramento, and I mean all over the valley, from the beaches of the Bay (my data is best in San Fran) to the top of the Sierra Mountains... It sucks. The biggest cities seem to have it, but that makes it no less heinous that they sell the nation services they only give to the neighborhood.

Leave the heavily populated areas and you'll see that NO ONE has Sprint. NO ONE. It's a joke to them. It could be $5 a month with a free phone, they wouldn't pay it, cause it doesn't work. They ALL have Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T. Most of the time, Verizon.

Tapatalkin' from my SGS4

Reactions: evo-t

eskomo

May 13, 2008
Michigan
I rarely ever leave LTE on sprint. I drive 40 miles to work through pretty rural areas on the highway and its still LTE at around 15mbs. At home and work its usually better. My city isnt what's considered a big city. About average I'd say but rural all around. Maybe it's just michigan, idk. Cali is pretty bad for carriers signal in general though. But I had LTE in LA and Thousand Oaks at my parents place. Idk to each his own.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

gtuansdiamm

Nov 15, 2010
New York
Well in nyc I get 20mbps on average

Also when I upgrade sometime in the summer I will make sure my phone is spark compatible

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

evo-t

Nov 11, 2011
Greeley
Sprint barely has data coverage outside of major cities at all, let alone LTE. I've been with them for 3 years. Had the Nexus S 4G for a year when it came out. Saw that 4G (WiMax) almost never, let alone the new LTE, which I've NEVER Seen on my S4. Is there no LTE icon on Sprints S4? Even if so, 4G is still hard to come by, and is slow. Reception is terrible around town. You have to drive AROUND the city for reception, not through it, or it gets spotty. I'm in Sacramento, and I mean all over the valley, from the beaches of the Bay (my data is best in San Fran) to the top of the Sierra Mountains... It sucks. The biggest cities seem to have it, but that makes it no less heinous that they sell the nation services they only give to the neighborhood.

Leave the heavily populated areas and you'll see that NO ONE has Sprint. NO ONE. It's a joke to them. It could be $5 a month with a free phone, they wouldn't pay it, cause it doesn't work. They ALL have Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T. Most of the time, Verizon.

Tapatalkin' from my SGS4

I feel ya on this. I've seen LTE a couple times on my s4. One of the spots is in a small cow town. My signal is crap pretty much everywhere I go. I just ordered my red Nexus 5 though and I will eventually end up going to T Mobile. Soon after Sprint will have LTE everywhere and lighting fast speeds too.... Hahaha! Then again maybe not

Galaxy S fouR

slixzen

Jan 9, 2010
So do you think Sprint stores will allow upgrading form a non-triband LTE device to a Triband device easily or for free?

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
So do you think Sprint stores will allow upgrading form a non-triband LTE device to a Triband device easily or for free?

Doubt it, I don't think they offered free upgrades to people with WiMAX when they switched to LTE. Spark is a luxury, not a necessity, since regular LTE is still available in those markets.

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
S4 to S5 is not worth the upgrade. Heck I still wish I kept my s3

I have to agree and feel the same way. As far as flashing roms and mods, the S3 was a lot more stable device for this than the S4. As for the S5 I don't see any changes that I'm blown away by. The fingerprint scanner would be nice to have. I will probably wait and see what is offered by other manufacturers. Just got my wife a G2 month ago and makes my S4 seem "not so great".

Reactions: roc342

jtsv

Jun 26, 2007
Oklahoma City, OK
OKAY the Last 3 threads have been closed and moved here........

1st & 2nd about the S5 & or upgrading phones
It seems like we are being pulled along by the carriers. This year I feel more manipulated than ever, as soon as you get a phone Bam the next one is out but not with much of an improvement. I'm glad my upgrade isn't for another 1.5 yrs who knows what will be out then. Besides if I was going to get S5 then to find out there is multiple builds I would be more ticked than I am for Sprint pushing the S4 only to be releasing a triband.

OH well I always knew Sprint was off but it's the unlimited 5 family member plan that keeps me because No other carrier could save me as much.

3rd Switching carriers
Interesting enough I know how terrible the coverage is for OKC w/Sprint but with unlimited and No roaming when i looked at all the carriers coverage in OKC Not One stood out best. Yes the top 3 power hitters had the best coverage. Unless I was with a low end carrier there was not much difference. Factor in unlimited and roam who really cares whose tower I'm using as long as I have service. So for me it is the most data for the money since I've got 5 phones.

4th Making an assumption that it too would be moved here.
FRAMILY is Not Good For Me, even if I added more lines to the group. There would be no comparison to the Sprint Everything Data Family 1500 plan I've got now. Go figure they have paying for a service I don't use after all the only time the 5 of us share any minutes is "when we call a land line". When was the last time anyone called a land line?

5th Cell vs Land line
Even my land line is a $9.00 a month 30 min outgoing line for my alarm co. There isn't' even a phone connected to it but the funny thing with it is "All incoming calls are free". Again a go figure moment.

Disclaimer before anyone get's upset: At least I'm not wearing glass and trying to film you? Besides if you want to bash me you have every right to just like we have every right to make our comments. Unless you didn't realize the Winter Olympics are over and We Live in The "Freedom of Speech" USA!

Last edited:
Reactions: rtwrobert10

doby-nut

Dec 30, 2012
OKAY the Last 3 threads have been closed and moved here........

OH well I always knew Sprint was off but it's the unlimited 5 family member plan that keeps me because No other carrier could save me as much.

Now that caught my EYE contract is coming up, was just in Sprint store this week inquiring best price for 5 family members. Thanks for posting I will certainly push and shop for a deal without too big of any data limits. Thanks!

LouRock

Apr 12, 2011
Boston MA\San Juan PR
I just cant wait to get rid of my SGS4 because my ownership of this device has truly been a waste of money and extremely boring @SS time! I wish I held on to my S3 a litle longer and bought the Note 3 but that's one mistake I will not make again with the S5.:eek: I will definetly be holding off for the Note 4 later this year.. :victory:

Reactions: caleb2014

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
I just cant wait to get rid of my SGS4 because my ownership of this device has truly been a waste of money and extremely boring @SS time! I wish I held on to my S3 a litle longer and bought the Note 3 but that's one mistake I will not make again with the S5.:eek: I will definetly be holding off for the Note 4 later this year.. :victory:

Well I actually enjoyed the S4 all the Way to the end, UT I think KK kinds ducks on it to be honest. I'll be at sprint firs thing on Saturday to be grab my S5. No M8 for me baby!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ibcenu

Oct 12, 2010
I'm kinda siding with lourock. Out of all my phones..s4 has been crap. I liked my s3 better.
I kinda do want the s5..This time I'm gonna wait and read a while and see how rooting and development goes on it. If it turns out another s4 where ya gotta jump hoops just to root or flash... I'm out of the Samsung game

Last edited:
Reactions: joejoethemonkey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    S4 to S5 is not worth the upgrade. Heck I still wish I kept my s3

Please use this thread to discus both upgrading and/or other devices in this thread, be respectful always. Thanks

But we already have an off topic thread >_>

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2319960&highlight=off+topic :good:
    I work at Sprint and I play with all the new devices when they launch. First impression of the Nexus was it felt cheap. And the fact that it's made by LG this time just backs up the why the quality somewhat trash. The obnoxious circle phone speaker in the front was hideous. I thought it was a front facing speaker like HTC's One but it was an in call speaker. It looked like a knock off of all the phones that are out.

I did enjoy playing with the camera. A lot of new stuff that I want sure how to use yet but first impression was that the camera would be 1 of the key selling points for the phone. I had mixed feelings about the gigantic app icons but like I said it was my first impression so they could grow on me.

The feel of the phone in terms of performance wasn't bad. My GS4 is smoother with scrolling but I am stock rooted with stock kernel and debloated so Im pretty sure once this phone is too then it will be smooth as well. I did like how apps would open very quickly. Not much faster than my GS4 but was noticeable.

Honestly the phones performance isn't something to debate about because it is very resposnsive. And the Google Now feature is dope as well, but the feel and look of the phone just felt cheap like it was made from recycled parts or something. Just my 2 cents. The phone is a decent LG quality phone. If you like LG then go for it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 02:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

I'm not gonna ruin the Nexus 5, by putting it on Sprints network. Hello T-Mobile!

TMobile doesn't have real LTE....

TMobile doesn't have real LTE....

Neither does Sprint. How is something "real" if it doesn't tangibly exist in any measurable form in most places.

Neither does Sprint. How is something "real" if it doesn't tangibly exist in any measurable form in most places.

Because it is still being launched?
    I feel like a lot of Sprint people expect Sprint to have LTE up in their back yard instantly. People always compare their LTE to Sprint. Verizon had a two year start on LTE deployment than Sprint since they chose to go with Wimax.