[Q] Dialer woes and wishes

Search This thread

stp-dfw

May 23, 2011
I used to have the Motorola Atrix and I loved how I could search all of my contacts' names from the actual dialer - based on the letters associated with the number digits I pressed. My Skyrocket does not do that, instead I have to select "contacts" and actually type in portions of a name or nickname in order to do a search. I had just kinda accepted it as a function I had lost in the switchover, but I got to thinking, there has to be a way to make this happen. Any advice on contact settings or a recommended alternative dialer?

harry_fine

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
I'm also disappointed that the seem to have "removed" a feature.

I hear people rave about Go Contacts EX. If you try it, can you report back here? It's free.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
exDialer does this, that's one of the reasons I switched. Combined with the exDialer Another Choice ICS theme from the market (free), my dialer looks bad ass, and almost stock. Development and bug support is also good

I tried Go Contacts Ex, and it can't hold a candle to exDialer, in terms of support, themes, or features. This coming from a guy whos favourite launcher is go launcher, and only uses gosms... its that good

Reactions: cdshepherd

cdshepherd

May 16, 2011
exDialer does this, that's one of the reasons I switched. Combined with the exDialer Another Choice ICS theme from the market (free), my dialer looks bad ass, and almost stock. Development and bug support is also good

I tried Go Contacts Ex, and it can't hold a candle to exDialer, in terms of support, themes, or features. This coming from a guy whos favourite launcher is go launcher, and only uses gosms... its that good

I took your suggestion and tried exdialer. Wow. Loving it and it does look sweet with the ics theme

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

creedicd

Nov 26, 2011
This might sound wierd, but it concerns me that developers like Modoohut (that make ExDialer) don't charge for the product, nor have ad support for their apps. How do they make money to stay in business? This doesn't appear to be a hobby given the number and frequency of releases. These guys are based in Shanghi. I would not install an app like this, that gives all your contacts to some unknown developer with no stream of obvious income. There are no terms of use, privacy policy or other documents that outline what information they are collecting and where it goes. I feel the same way about the GoDialer, laucher and all the other stuff they release, something isn't right about that either, too much for free and no logical reason to do so. Someone is going to mine that info, and sell that data, or collect it for other purposes.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
This might sound wierd, but it concerns me that developers like Modoohut (that make ExDialer) don't charge for the product, nor have ad support for their apps. How do they make money to stay in business? This doesn't appear to be a hobby given the number and frequency of releases. These guys are based in Shanghi. I would not install an app like this, that gives all your contacts to some unknown developer with no stream of obvious income. There are no terms of use, privacy policy or other documents that outline what information they are collecting and where it goes. I feel the same way about the GoDialer, laucher and all the other stuff they release, something isn't right about that either, too much for free and no logical reason to do so. Someone is going to mine that info, and sell that data, or collect it for other purposes.

to be honest this point is valid in a sense, but with 10 million downloads I think it may also be paranoid. I have also taken precautions however, and my hosts file is setup only to allow certain apps, ex dialer not being one of them. Look into a program called Droidwall.

Reactions: creedicd

StolenVW

Mar 20, 2012
Elizaville
I used to have the Motorola Atrix and I loved how I could search all of my contacts' names from the actual dialer - based on the letters associated with the number digits I pressed. My Skyrocket does not do that, instead I have to select "contacts" and actually type in portions of a name or nickname in order to do a search. I had just kinda accepted it as a function I had lost in the switchover, but I got to thinking, there has to be a way to make this happen. Any advice on contact settings or a recommended alternative dialer?

mine running the 2nd leek of ICS does this....when i start hitting the numbers on the dial paid it starts to show me contacts with them letters in there name and also contacts with them numbers in there phone number

Reactions: stp-dfw

creedicd

Nov 26, 2011
Admittedly I tend to stray on the side of paranoia. However it only takes one bad app to lose the info and it can never be undone.

I have droidwall and use it. I need to do more research on it and the hostfile. I'm guessing the hostfile is similar to the lmhost file in windows where it blocks specific dns names, or update addresses that are listed in the file. How does this prevent a specific applications from communicating with a specific address?

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
Admittedly I tend to stray on the side of paranoia. However it only takes one bad app to lose the info and it can never be undone.

I have droidwall and use it. I need to do more research on it and the hostfile. I'm guessing the hostfile is similar to the lmhost file in windows where it blocks specific dns names, or update addresses that are listed in the file. How does this prevent a specific applications from communicating with a specific address?

sorry I provided incorrect info, droidwallbuses IP tables, which, when configured correctly, are more powerful than a dynamic firewall.

icenight89

Dec 18, 2010
My dialer. In my contacts. App can be easily .molded how ever u want it. I changed it so it uses dial_bg.png as the background instead of touchwiz. So u can use any image u want name it the same drop it in. Res/drawable hdpi. And u can color the digits very easily.
Also found in res/drawable hdpi inside my contacts.apk

I did check it out and it looked good silver, but it still based of the touchwizzed one, which I am not a fan of. As soon as we get source, I know guys like u will rip aosp and cm9 a new one for skyrocket lok

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

to be honest this point is valid in a sense, but with 10 million downloads I think it may also be paranoid. I have also taken precautions however, and my hosts file is setup only to allow certain apps, ex dialer not being one of them. Look into a program called Droidwall.

mine running the 2nd leek of ICS does this....when i start hitting the numbers on the dial paid it starts to show me contacts with them letters in there name and also contacts with them numbers in there phone number