[Nexus 5] CF-Auto-Root

Search This thread

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 17.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
- SuperSU binary and APK
- Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
- Extract the ZIP file
- Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
- Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
--- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
--- chmod +x root-linux.sh
--- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
--- chmod +x root-mac.sh
--- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
[CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.

SUer

Oct 12, 2012
Superb, mine's due to arrive in the morning, so hopefully this means I'll be good to go with Titanium from my S3?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

jlmcr87

Apr 18, 2011
It´s my first nexus, so can i ask if the phone comes with unlocked bootloader? or i have to unlock it? Thanks

sewer56lol

It´s my first nexus, so can i ask if the phone comes with unlocked bootloader? or i have to unlock it? Thanks

You need to unlock it but after analyzing this tool I can tell that it will do it for you, you just need to enter fastboot (vol down+power)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jlmcr87

Apr 18, 2011
You need to unlock it but after analyzing this tool I can tell that it will do it for you, you just need to enter fastboot (vol down+power)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My last phone was an xperia arc, and after unlock it i lost functionalities like bravia engine etc. With nexus i will lost functionalities, warranty?

oediv

Jul 24, 2012
i only need this root ... no one more when TWRP can be run on the nexus 5 ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CF-Root is the root for "rooting beginners" and those who want to keep as close to stock as possible. CF-Root is meant to be used in combination with stock firmwares, and be the quickest and easiest way for your first root.

Donate
    CF-Root has been available for many devices and has clocked over 17.5 million downloads. This is not even counting custom ROMs that already include it. Don't be a leech, buy me a beer (and use the "Thanks" button!). Imagine if every CF-Root user has donated me $1...

What's installed
    - SuperSU binary and APK
    - Nothing else, that's it.

Installation and usage

- Download the ZIP file (see post below for link)
    - Extract the ZIP file
    - Boot your device in bootloader/fastboot mode. Usually this can be done by turning your device off, then holding VolUp+VolDown+Power to turn it on.
    - Connect your device to your computer using USB

- Windows:
    --- Run root-windows.bat

- Linux
    --- chmod +x root-linux.sh
    --- Run root-linux.sh

- Mac OS X
    --- chmod +x root-mac.sh
    --- Run root-mac.sh

- Follow the on-screen instructions - watch both the computer and the device !

Note that if your device had not been unlocked before, this procedure will wipe all your data !

Are you having fastboot driver issues? You can find fastboot drivers in many places, but the easiest way is probably just installing the Android SDK.

Did you see the red Android logo during rooting, but SuperSU does not appear? This may sometimes occur due to left-over files and settings, however, you can usually install SuperSU from Google Play at this stage and it'll just work.

Not included - adbd Insecure
    As this CF-Root does not include a custom kernel, adb shell does not have root access by default (you can still get it by typing su inside the shell), nor is adb remount supported, nor will adb push and adb pull work on system files. adbd Insecure can be used to remedy this situation. (No idea what this is about ? Don't worry about it !)

CF-Auto-Root homepage
    http://autoroot.chainfire.eu/

CF-Auto-Root main thread
    [CENTRAL] CF-Auto-Root
    For requests for new roots and generic discussion - please keep device specific discussion in the thread you are viewing now.
    For anyone having issues with "waiting for device" or "device not found" this is what I did to fix it.

With your phone plugged into your computer go to device manager, right-click on Nexus 5 under "portable devices" and click uninstall the drivers. Then click "find hardware changes" so it finds your phone again. Find the Nexus 5 with the "!" on it under device manager. Right-click again and click "update drivers", Navigate to the drivers that you can download from here http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top

From there Windows should load the appropriate drivers and CF-Root will now see your device. This worked for me. Hope this is clear and it works for you.
    im also getting "waiting for device"... please help us out!

Ok, I fixed mine.

Try this:

1. On your PC, Hold the Windows key and press Pause and open Device Manager in the top left.
    2. See if there is a Nexus 5 with a Yellow exclamation point next to it. Mine was under a category called "other".
    3. If there is, download this: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top
    4. Extract that to a folder on your desktop
    5. Go back to the Device Manager.
    6. Right click the yellow exclamation Nexus5, and click Update drivers.
    7. Browse my computer manually.
    8. Point it to the driver folder on your desktop.

That fixed everything for me, so good luck!
    Ok, I fixed mine.

Try this:

1. On your PC, Hold the Windows key and press Pause and open Device Manager in the top left.
    2. See if there is a Nexus 5 with a Yellow exclamation point next to it. Mine was under a category called "other".
    3. If there is, download this: http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html#top
    4. Extract that to a folder on your desktop
    5. Go back to the Device Manager.
    6. Right click the yellow exclamation Nexus5, and click Update drivers.
    7. Browse my computer manually.
    8. Point it to the driver folder on your desktop.

That fixed everything for me, so good luck!

Quoting for those wondering why their root hangs at "waiting for device" - this worked for me.