Trying to S-Off but keep running into walls.

Search This thread

Justintoxicated

Nov 19, 2010
Wow the threads make it look so easy but here are my steps so far and I'm a couple hours into S-Off but had to go through all this stuff (The basics I guess but this is my first time on android 4.4 so I was pretty lost.

1) First I found the XDA Developer link here which has a QR code to scan to download the file.
2) Realized I did not have a QR Scanner installed so I installed google goggles.
3) Scanned the code and realized it did not work and simply takes me to the xda developers forum
4) Searched for another link and found this one http://dottech.org/156395/how-to-roo...verizon-guide/ (This QR code works)
5) downloaded and installed the weaksauce exploit.
6) Decided I will backup my data on the phone before continuing .
7) Installed titanium backup
8) Was told to enable USB debugging
9) Found this can only be enabled if your phone has development mode enabled.
10) Searched for how to do that on this newest version of android and found this link. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/go...formance-mode/ which I was able to figure out the exact steps for the M* on my own.
11) In the newly unlocked developer options from the enabled USB debugging.
12) Titanium backup reminded me I do not have the paid version (but I do own a licesnse!) Need to copy the license file to the SD card.
13) Realized I don't have an external SD card installed.
14) Searched the house for a paperclip to pop out the SD card slot, no dice... Found a needle and trimmed the head off it with wire cutters, and popped out the door.
15) Installed the SD card!
16) Titanium backup says it cannot write to the external SD card (Well this is where I like to keep my backups not on the internal Card....)

So Starting from 18 how do I:
1) Use titanium backup to backup to my external SD card (No write permission). I have tried the SDFix application and that did not work. How do i get write permission to backup with titanium backup?
2) Where do I download the HTC M8 Drivers?

Last edited:

Justintoxicated

Nov 19, 2010
Ok so I guess I cannot backup the phone, lets say I will just skip the backup.

I'm trying to S-Off using the weaksauce method. I go to the folder where I downloaded firewater and type adb reboot and I get a message that my device is unauthorized..

What now?

Pauls57

Apr 2, 2014
Buffalo
You can just use internal storage for your backup, once you get the phone s offed . Then do a backup to the external sd card. You need root access and a kernel without write protection. Take your time, it'll work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
Did you get it figured out? If you didn't and still need some help, send me a PM and I'll walk you through step by step and help you get it done. I've walked three people through the S-OFF method now (using Teamviewer and chat) and am getting pretty efficient at it. Shoot me a PM if your still stuck.

Joshy8

May 4, 2014
Arizona
I'm having the exact same problem. I rooted the phone thinking that's all I'd need to do. But with TiBu I can't backup to my SD card. So now I'm trying to do the S-Off so I can solve that problem. But I can't get the adb to work either.

I installed the HTC Sync Manager "package" from HTC, which allegedly comes with the driver. But, when I plug the phone into the computer it doesn't even see an adb device for my phone. I'm familiar with adb devices because I used it on my Droid Bionic.

Then I downloaded what has been nicknamed the "HTC One Toolkit M8" and installed the "Universal Adb Driver" from that. Still, no adb device is detected. Frankly, I'm laughing and disgusted with this phone. I'm laughing because someone with my prior skills with android should have no problem with this. But disgusted because this phone has been the most counter-intuitive phone I've ever owned. Just trying to disable the lock screen took almost 30 minutes.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? When I plug the phone in right now it shows up under "Portable Devices" and that's it. My Bionic would pop up 3 devices(CD-ROM, media device or something of that sort and the adb device).

I've literally spent the last hour searching with Google trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I thought it was a driver problem, but now that I'm not seeing any "unknown" devices nor am I seeing the adb device I'm convinced I've screwed this up somehow.

Yay me. I can't find my old account info, so 1 post for me. :D

Edit: Also, after installing the "Minimal ADB and Fastboot" as well as the Android SDK, the command "adb devices" has never found my phone. LOL

Last edited:

buddahj

Dec 8, 2012
Walton, KY
Just an FYI...the tool to open the SD card slot comes with the phone. It's the metal piece with the HTC logo in the packaging that the manuals come in. You'll have to pull that part of the box apart to get it out.

Pauls57

Apr 2, 2014
Buffalo
It was suggested to first install htc sync manager with the drivers, then uninstall sync manager, but leave the drivers installed. Try that.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
It was suggested to first install htc sync manager with the drivers, then uninstall sync manager, but leave the drivers installed. Try that.

Also, if you have any other type of phone software such as pdanet installed on your computer, either uninstall it or close it before trying to run the exploit.

Joshy8

May 4, 2014
Arizona

Yeah, I did that already. I'm convinced this isn't a driver issue since I never actually see the adb device(or an unknown device) in my device manager.

Also, if you have any other type of phone software such as pdanet installed on your computer, either uninstall it or close it before trying to run the exploit.

I don't. I haven't gotten that far since I haven't gotten s-off done.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Are you using a USB 2.0 port on your computer. USB 3.0 will cause problems with ADB. What operating system does your computer have on it? Windows 8 doesn't seem to get along well with ADB either. Seems to work for some, and not for others.

Last edited:

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
Yeah, I did that already. I'm convinced this isn't a driver issue since I never actually see the adb device(or an unknown device) in my device manager.

I don't. I haven't gotten that far since I haven't gotten s-off done.
That just seems to me that it IS more likely a driver issue. You should see your device name or at least unknown device. Open up your device manager, then unplug your phone and replug it in. See what it shows when it refreshes. It will be under portable devices or Android USB devices or both. Mine shows both. If you still need help shoot me a PM and I can walk you through.

Are you using a USB 2.0 port on your computer. USB 3.0 will cause problems with ADB. What operating system does your computer have on it? Windows 8 doesn't seem to get along well with ADB either. Seems to work for some, and not for others.
Windows 8 doesn't have any problems with adb. I've used it flawlessly on several computers. USB 3.0 neither. USB 3.0 can however cause problems with Firewater running correctly.

Last edited:

Joshy8

May 4, 2014
Arizona
That just seems to me that it IS more likely a driver issue. You should see your device name or at least unknown device. Open up your device manager, then unplug your phone and replug it in. See what it shows when it refreshes. It will be under portable devices or Android USB devices or both. Mine shows both. If you still need help shoot me a PM and I can walk you through.

Right, you just argued why I don't think it's a driver issue. I've played with ADB before. I plug my Droid Bionic in and ADB comes right up on my desktop. On my HTPC that doesn't have the driver installed I get an unknown device.

But, with my HTC One M8, I never get any ADB device or an unknown device.. I get the HTC media device or whatever it is(mounts the storage on the desktop0, but I have *never* seen an ADB device or an unknown device from my HTC One M8... ever.

Thanks for the offer of the PM. I'm going to bed since I'm only 3 hours past my bedtime. But I'll PM you tomorrow and hopefully we can figure this out.

nicholi2789

Mar 19, 2013
Newport
Right, you just argued why I don't think it's a driver issue. I've played with ADB before. I plug my Droid Bionic in and ADB comes right up on my desktop. On my HTPC that doesn't have the driver installed I get an unknown device.

But, with my HTC One M8, I never get any ADB device or an unknown device.. I get the HTC media device or whatever it is(mounts the storage on the desktop0, but I have *never* seen an ADB device or an unknown device from my HTC One M8... ever.

Thanks for the offer of the PM. I'm going to bed since I'm only 3 hours past my bedtime. But I'll PM you tomorrow and hopefully we can figure this out.

I don't know, I have had lots of driver issues on lots of devices and had to sort it out many times. Most notably was my Nexus 7 that thing was the hardest device to get drivers installed for, it took me hours. I've gotten pretty dang efficient at installing drivers nowadays though. I need more specific information about your set-up before I can really offer good advice though. The HTC Media Cd rom that you see pop up when you plug in is the CDROM.iso. It's just stupid HTC bloatware crap, you can disable it or delete it once you have root. When you plug it in you should see the CDROM popup on your desktop then it should mount as MTP too. You should be able to browse your internal and external storage.
One thing I would suggest though and you may think i'm crazy for it.. Swap the USB cable your using for a different one and try that on a different usb port. I've messed around trying to get drivers installed for hours, only to switch the USB cord and have it work just fine. I've even had this problem with brand new USB cords.
If you do still need help tomorrow don't hesitate to shoot me a PM, I would be glad to help.

hager03

Nov 2, 2012

I don't know if this will help but I see you typing in adb device, it must be adb devices you must have the s.
Don't ask me how I know.

Joshy8

May 4, 2014
Arizona
I don't know if this will help but I see you typing in adb device, it must be adb devices you must have the s.
Don't ask me how I know.

Haha. I wont' ask. Thanks for the tip, but I am doing adb devices. It comes back and says something like "List of devices found" or something and then is blank. Of course, it works just fine on my Bionic.. haha. It's always listed.

l7777

May 2, 2007
This is going to be a silly question, but did you turn on USB Debugging in the developer options? Does the phone say USB debugging connected on the phone's notification tray?

You should either have unknown device or you should see it listed properly in device manager.

I would go through device manager and uninstall any devices related to the phone. When prompted I would also remove the drivers. Then follow the below guide.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2742295