[Gen9] Gen9 permanent root with SuperUser

Search This thread

pma7779

Dec 17, 2010
Thanks, it is working for me. Now Root is working.
Test your build thanks.

Anyone know where I can get instructions on how to use ADB? I'm not sure how to go about rooting my device. I'm trying to follow the instructions on modaco but I'm lost. I've downloaded ADB and I've downloaded the necessary "step 1" and "step 2" of the process but I'm not sure what to do from there.

Tha0lia

Dec 15, 2011
I have update my build. It's same link. ( http :// tmp .li/2i )

I have published a video about my build. My video is extremely long and in French (sry) but you can see semi-perma root and multi internal data partition (on µSD).

Have a nice day

Thaolia

IngoPan

Jan 11, 2011
Hallo,

What to do with the files in there please? Can you give a step my step instruction?
The first 2 i do understand, but will i have root witout flashing the ext4 file?
Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

OneAn9ryN00b

Aug 25, 2010
Central Maine
Kind of a noobish questions...

1. If i go about getting root with the SDE way, is there a way to go back, to stock if i screw something up.

2. Or is there a system image file out.

3. And after I root, with the .69 file, and say I upgrade to the .78 file on Archos website, can I re-root, or is that equal to a system image, or just an update file.

4. Also when ICS comes out will this be able to update if theres root enabled.

letama

Feb 13, 2008
1. If i go about getting root with the SDE way, is there a way to go back, to stock if i screw something up.

Well, in fact, SDE enables a dual-boot menu. It means that you keep your stock build along with the rooted build and you can boot from one or the other.

2. Or is there a system image file out.

Not needed as you still have you stock build.

3. And after I root, with the .69 file, and say I upgrade to the .78 file on Archos website, can I re-root, or is that equal to a system image, or just an update file.

Enabling SDE still let you flash updated stock firmwares, you'll be able to boot it with the first boot menu entry. Your .69 will be still be active on the second menu entry, and you can update it independently as soon as a rooted update is released.

4. Also when ICS comes out will this be able to update if theres root enabled.

Same thing here, enabling SDE doesn't interfere with stock releases, so yes, you'll be able to update. Archos has a way to detect that SDE is enabled and could block update in theory, but I don't see why they would do that. And even if they did, I believe I should be able to revert "SDE enabled" to not "SDE enabled".

OneAn9ryN00b

Aug 25, 2010
Central Maine
Thanks. I went and got sde up, and rooted. Now another question, is there a way to make it automatically boot the sde partition, or do I have to volume down every boot?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello All,

*Update*. Except special request, I won't release this:

Simpler and much safer: enable SDE! Go there.
    Rooted build that works with it here.

First, a big thank you to Paul O'Brien at Modaco for his root method (http://android.modaco.com/topic/347305-archos-80-g9-root-phase-1/), it's the indispensable first step needed to permanent root. This is as far as I know the only way to get the temp root required for this "proper" permanent root.

** edit ** Guys, don't try Paul's root on Gen8, this is for Gen9 only

And to clarify a bit for Gen9, Paul's root method alone is not enough, having root with it will kill audio and device don't wake up.

WAIT for the whole thing to go out of beta!

If you installed Paul's one and want to get rid of it, you have to clear data partition by going to Settings/Repair and formating, Reset Android. You'll loose all apps and preferences but your device will be back to normal.

A big thank you to the openaos team too, their documentation and work on previous Archos devices helped a lot.

Here is just a little preview of what I've been doing on my A101 G9:

I now have a "clean" permanent root with working SuperUser.apk, see picture attached of Titanium Backup running on it (sorry about the very poor quality of the pictures).

I'll be releasing it soon if all goes well, but I'd like to beta test it before with few brave and experimented users. If you want to beta-test and don't fear too much about your G9, send me a PM.

Word of caution: you shouldn't do that! wait for SDE, it will probably come.

Currently, the method is quite "rough", you have to have adb working and be a bit cautious about what you do. You also invalidate your warranty doing this.

A little technical background on it:

1) Gen9 is having a similar rawfs as Gen8, same init/custom, same kind of initrd/rootfs...

2) Gen9 bootloaders are *not* protected with checksum verifications like we had in Gen8! I just had to rewrite a kernel with a modified initrd to bypass squashfs.secure verifications, then rebuild a squashfs with ro.secure=0 and SuperUser.apk installed.

I spent some time looking at bootloaders disassembly thinking that I may have missed something before taking the risk of modifying kernel, but it seems they have been removed.

3) Gen9 Init/Custom/Recovery are now zImage+lzma cpio, not gzip anymore.
    I have build 3.2.77 ext4 root. I use 3.2.64 kernel/modules.

Link : http :// tmp .li/2i

I have mod initramfs for a semi perma-root (I use fbmenu with "abcbox reboot_into -s").

Have a nice day =)

Thaolia
    use the provided ext4-image and install "busybox" from market, it will update your busybox installation.

//EDIT:
    URL to ext4-image: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1361210&page=3