[How to] Root Your DInc2 Tutorial! (2.3.3 GB Only)

Search This thread

rivera82falcon

Aug 26, 2010
NJ
The purpose of this guide is to walk you through the process of rooting your phone running 2.3.3 ONLY! I will do the best I can to make this as painless as possible and help you achieve your goals of S-Off.

***THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR OBTAINING S-OFF, OBTAINING ROOT, AND INSTALLING CLOCKWORK MOD RECOVERY! ANY QUESTION REGARDING INSTALLING ROMS DO NOT BELONG HERE AND WILL NOT BE ANSWERED! ONLY ISSUES REGARDING ROOT WILL BE ANSWERED BY MYSELF OR OTHER MEMBERS.***

What you will need: (** = File is attached to OP)

Windows XP or higher (Thats all I have, someone else with MAC and/or Linux will need to assist and I can add it to the OP)

http://revolutionary.io/ .:UPDATE:. PRE4 now available
This site is where you will download the rooting tools and obtain a beta key. When you click on the download button for your OS, make sure you view the box that pops up requesting your OS version, phone model, HBoot version, and phone serial number. Without doing this you cannot root your phone so do it or you are screwed. There are two ways to get your phone serial number: 1) Remove the battery and look at the white sticker or 2) On your phone, go to Settings -> About Phone -> Phone Identity and under Device Serial Number you will see it. After you receive your code COPY AND PASTE it onto a word document or notepad because there are times when you will get confused with the font type from the Revolutionary site. Example, in my beta key, the lower case L looks exactly like the capital I and it threw me off. Also, the key IS case sensitive so keep that in mind.

If running windows, you will need these drivers:
http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
If running Linux, reports show that you do not need any drivers.
If running Mac OS, I currently do not know so someone please let me know and I will update.

http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip **
This file is required to obtain ROOT AFTER you have S-Off.

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=630611&stc=1&d=1308537076 (WINDOWS) **
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=630611&stc=1&d=1308537076 (LINUX) **
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33327355/cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img **
These two items are in case Revolutionary tool fails to install CWM on your phone OR if you want to do this offline at another location. Fastboot and abd tool is the software that will take the img file of CWM and flash it onto your phone after S-OFF is obtained.

Prepping your Phone:

Turn off FAST BOOT in the settings located: SETTINGS -> POWER

Turn on Unknown Sources: SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS
Turn on USB Debugging: SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONTS -> DEVELOPMENT

Installing Root:

1 - First, install the HTC drivers on your computer. It is a very simple step and you should have no issues doing this at all. Also look at your installed programs list and confirm HTC Sync is not installed. This will stop your device from being detected by Revolutionary to other problems when rooting.

2 - Extract the Fastboot and ABD zip file onto the root of your local disk drive (ex. C:\android-win-tools )

3 - Copy/Cut and Paste the CWM img file into the Fastboot and ABD folder (ex. C:\android-win-tools\cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img) Doing this will prep your PC to flash CWM in the event the Revolutionary tool does not download and install it.

4 - Place phone in "Disk Drive" mode then Copy/Cut and Paste the root su zip file (do not extract it) onto the root of your SDCard on your phone (ex. x:\su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip )

5 - Place phone in "Charge Only" mode. A lot ot people run into issues and not realize this was not selected.

6 - Run the Revolutionary file now that everything is set to go.

7 - You will get a prompt to enter your beta code. This is the code you received when you downloaded the revolutionary file and entered the information to obtain the beta key.

8 - Sit back and WAIT while the application does what is needed. This process will take anywhere from 3 to 5minutes so be PATIENT.

9 - Upon completion, you will get a prompt to install CWM. Say yes here! Once done skip to step 10.

9a - If the revolutionary app crashes or fails to download/install, leave your phone in the state it is (HBoot mode and should say "Fastboot USB". Open a command prompt in windows (Start - Run - type CMD).

9b - If you did exactly as told, type "CD.." until you see "C:\"

9c - Type the following:
CD android-win-tools
fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img

9d - This process takes about 30sec max. Almost done!!!

10 - On your phone, back track to the main menu of HBoot using the volume keys and Power button and select recovery (2nd Option). In a few seconds your will be in CWM.

11 - As long as you copied the signed zip file to the root of your sdcard, perform the following:
"Install Zip From SDCard" (5th Option)
"Choose Zip From SDCard" (2nd Option)
Select the root/su zip file (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
Choose Yes and wait.
Back track to main menu and reboot

12 - Give yourself a pat on the back for paying attention and have a cookie!

I am typing this on my tablet/phone/pc so if an error exists, please let me know right away and I will update the OP. Again, questions here are ONLY for rooting. Anything else...kick yourself in the head, do a real search, and post if needed.

Support:
http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary
Common Q&A for their recovery tool

irc.freenode.net channel #revolutionary
IRC Support Channel

Special thanks to:
XDA-Developers - You guys rock!!!
AlphaRev and unrevoked (Revolutionary) - You have made many dreams come true!!! DONATE to them if you can peeps.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1122694 - attn1 - his How to guide on manually installing CWM.

Attachments

• su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
    289.8 KB · Views: 2,093
  • cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img.7z
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,098
  • android-win-tools.zip
    417.4 KB · Views: 1,320
  • android-linux-tools.zip
    209.9 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

ben805

Aug 3, 2011
NICE, this thread should be sticky. ;)

On a side note, make sure you have your phone connected to wifi or 3G if you want the revolutionary tool to download and install the CWM automatically. If not then you would have to flash the CWM manually per the instruction from OP.

Darkpsych0

Jul 29, 2011
Awesome thanks but question. my computer keeps saying usb device not recognized every like 5 seconds when my phone is connected and in bootloader. Is that suppose to be like that?

rivera82falcon

Aug 26, 2010
NJ
Awesome thanks but question. my computer keeps saying usb device not recognized every like 5 seconds when my phone is connected and in bootloader. Is that suppose to be like that?

I will say it is okay as this happens to my PC as well. The files still transfer and CWM flashes through fastboot as well.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: kyrumo71

Darkpsych0

Jul 29, 2011
Mmk. I downloaded ROM Manager but everytime i start it up it says "You must root your phone for ROM Manager to function. Superuser was not found at "/system/bin/su/" or "system/xbin/su"
I have the file on the root of the sdcard and im pretty sure i rooted it with revolutionary and installed CWM as well.

Flightmed

Aug 19, 2010
I have gotten thru step 8 and failed whentrying to install CWM. I manually installed it with step 9 and it said finished. Step 10 says to select recovery but it is not listed. I rebooted to see if that would work but it didnt. Where did I go wrong?

EDIT: Actually it did work just was trying to hard. Thanks for the great instructions.

Last edited:

rivera82falcon

Aug 26, 2010
NJ
@ Darkpsycho0
try installing busybox from the market and give it a try again.

@PacerguyDon
The links are in the OP.

It's next to the one that has the img file as well. There is only one zip file and it contains both items in it.

@Flightmed
Power down, and get back into HBoot. You will see the following options:

Fastboot
Recovery
Factory Reset
Simlock
Hboot Usb
Image CRC

The second option (Recovery) is what you want.

EDIT: Glad you got it working!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kyrumo71

rivera82falcon

Aug 26, 2010
NJ
Thinking about it and looking back...I didn't complete the instructions on applying root. I apologize to you and everyone else.

When you have CWM installed, open it up through recovery. Next, as long as you copied the signed zip file to the root of your sdcard, select "Install Zip From SDCard" (5th Option).

Select "Choose Zip from SDCard" (2nd Option)

Select the zip file (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)

Choose Yes and wait. Once done, reboot and you should be good!

Again, I apologize. I will update main post asap!

Darkpsych0

Jul 29, 2011
That worked.. no more error thanks. I was about to throw my phone across the room especially since while i was waiting for replies I was trying to just install new themes but can't get Astros to work with the apk files correctly. -_- (still can't)

junknstuff

Dec 6, 2010
I'm already rooted via 2.2 but this is a great guide for the truly n00b.
Should be seeing lots of new members posting in the development section soon ;!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The purpose of this guide is to walk you through the process of rooting your phone running 2.3.3 ONLY! I will do the best I can to make this as painless as possible and help you achieve your goals of S-Off.

***THIS THREAD IS ONLY FOR OBTAINING S-OFF, OBTAINING ROOT, AND INSTALLING CLOCKWORK MOD RECOVERY! ANY QUESTION REGARDING INSTALLING ROMS DO NOT BELONG HERE AND WILL NOT BE ANSWERED! ONLY ISSUES REGARDING ROOT WILL BE ANSWERED BY MYSELF OR OTHER MEMBERS.***

What you will need: (** = File is attached to OP)

Windows XP or higher (Thats all I have, someone else with MAC and/or Linux will need to assist and I can add it to the OP)

http://revolutionary.io/ .:UPDATE:. PRE4 now available
    This site is where you will download the rooting tools and obtain a beta key. When you click on the download button for your OS, make sure you view the box that pops up requesting your OS version, phone model, HBoot version, and phone serial number. Without doing this you cannot root your phone so do it or you are screwed. There are two ways to get your phone serial number: 1) Remove the battery and look at the white sticker or 2) On your phone, go to Settings -> About Phone -> Phone Identity and under Device Serial Number you will see it. After you receive your code COPY AND PASTE it onto a word document or notepad because there are times when you will get confused with the font type from the Revolutionary site. Example, in my beta key, the lower case L looks exactly like the capital I and it threw me off. Also, the key IS case sensitive so keep that in mind.

If running windows, you will need these drivers:
    http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    If running Linux, reports show that you do not need any drivers.
    If running Mac OS, I currently do not know so someone please let me know and I will update.

http://goo-inside.me/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip **
    This file is required to obtain ROOT AFTER you have S-Off.

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=630611&stc=1&d=1308537076 (WINDOWS) **
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=630611&stc=1&d=1308537076 (LINUX) **
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33327355/cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img **
    These two items are in case Revolutionary tool fails to install CWM on your phone OR if you want to do this offline at another location. Fastboot and abd tool is the software that will take the img file of CWM and flash it onto your phone after S-OFF is obtained.

Prepping your Phone:

Turn off FAST BOOT in the settings located: SETTINGS -> POWER

Turn on Unknown Sources: SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONS
    Turn on USB Debugging: SETTINGS -> APPLICATIONTS -> DEVELOPMENT

Installing Root:

1 - First, install the HTC drivers on your computer. It is a very simple step and you should have no issues doing this at all. Also look at your installed programs list and confirm HTC Sync is not installed. This will stop your device from being detected by Revolutionary to other problems when rooting.

2 - Extract the Fastboot and ABD zip file onto the root of your local disk drive (ex. C:\android-win-tools )

3 - Copy/Cut and Paste the CWM img file into the Fastboot and ABD folder (ex. C:\android-win-tools\cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img) Doing this will prep your PC to flash CWM in the event the Revolutionary tool does not download and install it.

4 - Place phone in "Disk Drive" mode then Copy/Cut and Paste the root su zip file (do not extract it) onto the root of your SDCard on your phone (ex. x:\su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip )

5 - Place phone in "Charge Only" mode. A lot ot people run into issues and not realize this was not selected.

6 - Run the Revolutionary file now that everything is set to go.

7 - You will get a prompt to enter your beta code. This is the code you received when you downloaded the revolutionary file and entered the information to obtain the beta key.

8 - Sit back and WAIT while the application does what is needed. This process will take anywhere from 3 to 5minutes so be PATIENT.

9 - Upon completion, you will get a prompt to install CWM. Say yes here! Once done skip to step 10.

9a - If the revolutionary app crashes or fails to download/install, leave your phone in the state it is (HBoot mode and should say "Fastboot USB". Open a command prompt in windows (Start - Run - type CMD).

9b - If you did exactly as told, type "CD.." until you see "C:\"

9c - Type the following:
    CD android-win-tools
    fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-vivow.img

9d - This process takes about 30sec max. Almost done!!!

10 - On your phone, back track to the main menu of HBoot using the volume keys and Power button and select recovery (2nd Option). In a few seconds your will be in CWM.

11 - As long as you copied the signed zip file to the root of your sdcard, perform the following:
    "Install Zip From SDCard" (5th Option)
    "Choose Zip From SDCard" (2nd Option)
    Select the root/su zip file (su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip)
    Choose Yes and wait.
    Back track to main menu and reboot

12 - Give yourself a pat on the back for paying attention and have a cookie!

I am typing this on my tablet/phone/pc so if an error exists, please let me know right away and I will update the OP. Again, questions here are ONLY for rooting. Anything else...kick yourself in the head, do a real search, and post if needed.

Support:
    http://unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/revolutionary
    Common Q&A for their recovery tool

irc.freenode.net channel #revolutionary
    IRC Support Channel

Special thanks to:
    XDA-Developers - You guys rock!!!
    AlphaRev and unrevoked (Revolutionary) - You have made many dreams come true!!! DONATE to them if you can peeps.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1122694 - attn1 - his How to guide on manually installing CWM.
    Pictured of error posted

If it is erroring out at the part where you install CWM then its okay. You can either:

1) Download pre3 from there site with is getting good reports that it is working.

2) Go to 9a of the OP and manually install it. Very simple to do and little steps.

The Incredible 2 or VIVO is not an option in the Beta key?

The incredible 2 is definitely an option when obtaining a beta key. Unless you are refering to something else?
    My bad, my work computer is crappy, the 2 does not show up on my browser lol

I went to the site just now and HTC DROID Incredible 2 is the 6th option down in the device list. If it still doesn't show up, test another pc or try it on your phone. All you need is the key anyways.

Here is the problem... I have tried to run Revolution 5 times always ending up with the same problem. It just leaves the phone in the bootloader with s-on.:(

Thanks in advance

edit:xda wont let me post the link to the image.

edit2:eek:kay I got it attached I think

What version of boot-loader are you showing?