Control Your App Permissions Natively with App Ops (Root Free)

Search This thread

klau1

Jan 1, 2008
Control Your App Permissions Natively (no root)

Thanks to Android 4.3, it is possible to control app permissions natively. In other words, root access is no longer necessary, nor is xPrivacy & Xposed.

nexusae0_wm_2013-07-25-13.35.31.png

However, because Samsung's Touch Wiz doesn't launch "activities", it's impossible to access this function without an app, which you can download off Google Play for free.

Check out this review for more info: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/25/app-ops-android-4-3s-hidden-app-permission-manager-control-permissions-for-individual-apps/

App Ops on Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schurich.android.tools.appopsstarter&hl=en

Last edited:

jeromepearce

Jun 7, 2007
Mackay
www.processmapping.com.au
Good to know, thanks.

There is also a setting for all apps under 'Data Usage' in settings that allows you to restrict access to Mobile Data. Combining these two gives you almost complete control over apps. The only aspect still missing (without Root) is WiFi data access.

---------- Post added at 01:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

Good to know, thanks.

There is also a setting for all apps under 'Data Usage' in settings that allows you to restrict access to Mobile Data. Combining these two gives you almost complete control over apps. The only aspect still missing (without Root) is WiFi data access.

tominator007

Nov 13, 2009
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Ed

Just bought new galaxy note 10.1, but app ops doesn't seem to work on it. I used the app mentioned above but it just took me to settings. can someone verify this? also is there any other way to restrict app permissions without root? some devs/apps want hardware control to take photos and video that have nothing to do with the app itself. thanks much

Cannonball_CO

Jul 28, 2012
Just bought new galaxy note 10.1, but app ops doesn't seem to work on it. I used the app mentioned above but it just took me to settings. can someone verify this? also is there any other way to restrict app permissions without root? some devs/apps want hardware control to take photos and video that have nothing to do with the app itself. thanks much
Hi tominator, I just got wise to AppOps and it works in my GS4 but the same thing is happening to me on my Note 10.1 2014 Ed.

And now EFF reports that Google didn't want us to access it anyway. Guess it's time to reinstall Permissions Denied.

Reactions: iTelegraph

iTelegraph

Nov 6, 2011
San Francisco area

This must be old news to you by now, but the same thing happened to me with the 2014 Edition. Have you found a way to do it? Thanks.

blu3angel

Mar 25, 2009
Sorry for the noob question.. The meaning of on means it block the permissions or allowing it to access the permissions?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts