GPS Dongle Discussion Here!!!

Search This thread
Apr 20, 2012
<Mod Edit>
Not trying to steal the OP's glory, just wanted to consolidate all the miscellaneous GPS Dongle threads into one place; as the amount of threads on the same subject was getting out of control.

PLEASE POST ALL GPS DONGLE DISCUSSION HERE.

Thanks,

SwiftKS
(Forum Moderator)
</Mod Edit>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just delivered, put it on and it works great! Worked much better after a reboot.

Inside the house, solid brick house, got 12 in view 8 in use, 20 ft accuracy.

Good job Asus! Thanks!!!!

(I was one of the guys who registered during that tiny window that registration was open)

Last edited by a moderator:

hunter99507

Jan 17, 2012
This may sound like a stupid question but has it helped your Wi-Fi? Did you use wifi analiser and do a speed test with and without it?

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
This may sound like a stupid question but has it helped your Wi-Fi? Did you use wifi analiser and do a speed test with and without it?

Its not a stupid question. I did hear that "some" units tested did show improvements in wifi performance but that "wasn't" what this dongle was designed for. In the brief test I did on this theory, I couldn't see any benefits. Possibly because my wifi performance is already pretty good. It might be beneficial to someone who's wifi performance is less than stellar. I still plan on testing this more thoroughly.

Reactions: Jonphinguyen7

darhoade

Feb 3, 2010
I can't wait until mine comes. If more people get them hopefully they will post there experience.

agentdr8

Mar 4, 2007
Cowtown, CA
Came home to find FedEx had dropped off my dongle too. Asus has done right in my eyes as far as the GPS issue is concerned. Now to go try some Sygic....

markbraggs

Jan 5, 2012
Got my dongle in the mail

Ordered on the 17th, came today (19th). Bravo on fast processing and shipping, ASUS.

Tried my GPS indoors without the dongle. After about 5 minutes it found 6 satellites, locked 3. Accuracy of 900 feet.

Popped the dongle on. Said to update to the latest firmware, checked, pretty sure I am. Took a couple minutes, and nothing...then I decided to use the little switch to "lock" it into position. BAM! 12 satellites within 30 seconds, accuracy of about 36 feet. Went outside and got it down to 28 feet.

Sure it looks tacky, is a bit bulky, and doesn't work with the dock. But it's nice to know that GPS will (finally) work when really needed.

Oh, and it was free too. Score.

Reactions: Bait-Fish

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
This is strange. In have mine and it vastly improves my GPS, but I can't seem to hold onto a lock in my car, or indoors at all . Any ideas?

No reason why it shouldn't be able to. I was locked consistently over speeds 60-70mph. With great accuracy also(you can see my results from gps dongle test thread). Never lost the lock. Try doing a fresh reboot of your tablet and make sure the latch on the dongle is set to lock position. Also make sure you are on latest .21 update. Also make sure you have dongle and prime pointed towards the sky. Won't work as well if you have dongle pointed down.

Reactions: jlabrat

clockwork58

Dec 10, 2007
Toronto
So far I came across 1 issue. I haven't had a chance to try it again

1. Attached Dongle.
2. Turn on GPS Test + GPS
3. leave tablet by window
4. went to bathroom (~5 minutes...good times)
5. Came back and my tablet wouldn't turn on and did a self reboot when i tried to press power a few times.

I've never had a reboot problem since waayyyyy back when ICS was first released.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va

1. Attached Dongle.
5. Came back and my tablet wouldn't turn on and did a self reboot when i tried to press power a few times.

I've never had a reboot problem since waayyyyy back when ICS was first released.

Very doubtful its related to dongle. If anything its the GPS test app that could've caused it. Not the dongle itself.

skygunner27

Dec 9, 2011

1. Attached Dongle.

Keep us posted if it happens again.

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Sounds very similar to what happens occasionally when docked to the keyboard. Interesting that it may also happen when GPS docked.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

sly.cooper

Apr 20, 2011
Pune
I purchased mine when I was in Houston between Jan-Feb 2012. I am back to India. Will I be still eligible to get the dongle? I have applied for it and put in c/o address of my colleague in Houston. Also are there any shipping charges?

Greamlive

Feb 9, 2012
Québec
GPS Dongle

Hi,

I sent my demand for the GPS dongle to Asus Member website and in my demand it says:

Your application has been submitted 2012/04/16

does it means they are in the process of sending it ? Or do i have to wait for some other message from their part before its get processed. And how long does it takes to be sent if I live in Québec, Canada ?

:)

jjdevega

Jan 3, 2011
Bothell, Washington
Hi,

I sent my demand for the GPS dongle to Asus Member website and in my demand it says:

Your application has been submitted 2012/04/16

does it means they are in the process of sending it ? Or do i have to wait for some other message from their part before its get processed. And how long does it takes to be sent if I live in Québec, Canada ?

:)

Many are shipping out from Fremont California. I've seen one member from Canada receiving his within two days. Yours should be shipping soon. I also submitted application on 04/16 it's arriving today. It's the Grey dongle. My Champaign dongle still says submitted.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium App

Reactions: Greamlive

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This forum is way to over moderated. I am posting this here as requested in my thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622447&page=2
    Polite question to Swiftks
    GPS dongle is a very big subject with loads of side subject like mine about the dongle not fitting. does it really make sense to put everything related to the GPS dongle in one thread? How is that easier for users to find relevant information without sieving through hundreds of posts in a very broad subject/thread like the GPS dongle.

Pretty simple... go to the one gps dongle thread, and use the search button.

Hey don't blame me... I received multiple reports today from your fellow XDA members complaining about the number of GPS dongle threads in this section, and requesting a Mod combine some of the threads.... guess you can't make everyone happy.
    <Mod Edit>
    Not trying to steal the OP's glory, just wanted to consolidate all the miscellaneous GPS Dongle threads into one place; as the amount of threads on the same subject was getting out of control.

PLEASE POST ALL GPS DONGLE DISCUSSION HERE.

Thanks,

SwiftKS
    (Forum Moderator)
    </Mod Edit>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just delivered, put it on and it works great! Worked much better after a reboot.

Inside the house, solid brick house, got 12 in view 8 in use, 20 ft accuracy.

Good job Asus! Thanks!!!!

(I was one of the guys who registered during that tiny window that registration was open)
    I have Champagne ... WTF
    +1 me too, mine is champagne, i think the champagne color will be ship until next week, this week only gray...
    i have a champagne as well. [snip] maybe they dont have the champagne one yet?
    So no Champagne yet... damn... I'm leaving the US next week...!

This post says they have received a Champagne version.
    Anyone with a champagne colored prime receive one yet?
    got mine 2days ago

On a separate note, my TP stopped recognizing the GPS adapter and I had to reboot to get it to show again. It had been attached and removed a few times. Is there a safe disconnect procedure? Maybe I should not connect or disconnect it while the TP display is still on.

Edit: Added reference quote

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
    shipping

its a random generated number. I saw your other post. although its a pain, just call fed ex tomorrow to see the status of it. although you said they can't give you the tracking number, if its already shipped, they should be able to tell you over the phone where its at in route at least. when I had called them last week, I basically was patched straight through. no wait at all really.

Actually on my shipping label it says
    Ref: TF201DONGLE - "INSERT MY SERIAL NUMBER" - GRAY
    I ordered 4.6.12 & mine just shows "submitted".... I have Champagne ... WTF

+1 me too, mine is champagne, i think the champagne color will be ship until next week, this week only gray...