Motorola P790 Portable Charger Product Review with pics

Search This thread

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
41ADdU71EqL._SS400_.jpg

41Fa1eJM0qL._SS400_.jpg

Ill upload pics of the device attached to my g1 shortly, but on to the review.

First off
Its on sale at amazon right now, and its worth every penny.
Price: $12.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JLL14E/ref=cm_cr_thx_view

Here is a youtube review by someone else:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBAFsfy_HU

If i remember correctly, its 1700mah, larger than the stock g1 battery so its plenty juice to fully charge your g1 atleast once. As you can see in the video, its not very big, and its suprisingly lightweight, the g1 weighs significantly more than the charger. Hell, the box it came in weighed as much as the charger.

It takes longer to charge the charger than it does my g1, for obvious reasons, but it charges my g1 as fast as when my g1 is plugged into a wall.

Im definately picking up a 2nd one of these, for the price you just cant go wrong.

stickman

Jun 11, 2005
Does it really hold a full charge for the G1?

I've seen a bunch of these (I think this is the only portable charger Motorola has) here in Spain for 8$ on sale in a bargains bin at the local market, but I always thought it was intended for a much smaller battery, something like 850mah or 900...

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie

I've seen a bunch of these (I think this is the only portable charger Motorola has) here in Spain for 8$ on sale in a bargains bin at the local market, but I always thought it was intended for a much smaller battery, something like 850mah or 900...

i havnt gone a complete charge on it, but earlier today i went from 17% to 85% and it was still blinking green (the charger) showing that it had above 20% battery life left, so i think it might, ill fully drain my g1 saturday morning and see if it really does give it a "full" charge and let you know.

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
on a side note, the charger, while being cheap in price, does NOT feel cheap in quality

if you look at the picture, the slide in the center has a bar in the center of it going left to right, its a button, you must be slightly pressing on it in order to slide the slider up, and same to retract it, so it wont accidently slide out and damage the usb tip, it actually locks into place forward and back, and the greatest thing, if you watch the video youll see, the g1 seems to have its mini usb port flipped upside down IMO, so does this charger, so it charges facing the front, the odd thing is the bottom of the charger where you plug in a mini usb to charge the charger, is right side up (opposite of top) lol

the texture of the charger feels like a OEM battery cover for a g1, smooth but without the gloss like the front of a g1

stickman

Jun 11, 2005
i havnt gone a complete charge on it, but earlier today i went from 17% to 85% and it was still blinking green (the charger) showing that it had above 20% battery life left, so i think it might, ill fully drain my g1 saturday morning and see if it really does give it a "full" charge and let you know.

Did you manage to try this on Saturday?

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
Did you manage to try this on Saturday?

no my mustang broke down and i ended up relying on my g1 for most of the day, but i have to say, it was a life savor having it around, ill attempt to do it tonight, i have to go pretty far so ill use the gps and play music to kill the battery and when i get there ill attempt to charge it via the external charger

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
on stock battery got a full charge with power to spare, im not rocking a 2200mah, its not fully charging it, but its getting about 60% of the way there

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie

... but I always thought it was intended for a much smaller battery, something like 850mah or 900...

1700mah is the one i got for 13 bucks on amazon, i believe its the only one motorola makes, but it defiantely gave me a full charge in about a hour or so (lost track of time)

definately worth the buy, even more worth it for $8 usd

kizer

Mar 31, 2009
www.links4jeeps.com
Ok,

I've looked on the net for reviews and photos and nobody seems to answer my question. Is there two ports one for charging the device and one for charging say your G1?

I'm guessing it uses a special AC adapter and does it use the flip out port or is there another?

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
Ok,

I've looked on the net for reviews and photos and nobody seems to answer my question. Is there two ports one for charging the device and one for charging say your G1?

I'm guessing it uses a special AC adapter and does it use the flip out port or is there another?

as seen in the picture, when you slide the center up, the mini usb comes out of the top, its viewable from the top if you look straight down at it, so it just simply slides out to be able to plug into the phone

on the bottom of the charger, is a mini usb port, just like on the g1, it doesnt have a cover, nor does it flip out, its simply there

basically:

use your g1's charger and plug it into bottom of motorola charger, and plug motorola charger into g1 and youll have both charging at the same time in a straight line, watch the video posted in my first post after reading this and it should all make sence

and no, there is no special adapter, nor a special charger, it comes with a charger, but its no different than the charger that came with your g1, and it works when being charged off of a usb 2.0 port on your computer/laptop

kizer

Mar 31, 2009
www.links4jeeps.com
@wootroot

Thanks for the clarification. I wanted to watch the YouTube video, but the tech guys at my work do not allow us to view YouTube videos. I planned on watching it when I got home, but figured after a bit of looking around on the net asking a question couldn't hurt and it worked great.

Thanks

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
yeah no problem, the only reason i suggested to watch the video is incase my description was unclear, i couldnt think of any other way to describe the charger

kizer

Mar 31, 2009
www.links4jeeps.com
I did figure out way around the YouTube block. Put
PWN in front of the YouTube domain in the address and you can download the video opposed to stream. ;)

My reasoning for purchasing this is simple. I 4wheel a lot and I no longer have a cigerette lighter in my Jeep because I turned my Cigerette lighter power lead into a feed to power my in cab winch controller.

Now with this I have a power source for my phone beyond the normal battery when I use the GPS.

However I did some looking around beause I'd personally need a longer cord because I couldn't do the device to device thing because I know it would get broke. Found some mini usb to mini usb extensions on the net. Ebay wanted $25 a cable, but you can find them cheaper. I'm guessing shorter the wire less line loss, but we are not talking 10+ feet here. Just 1 to 3 feet.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/uextendminib.html
http://www.angledcables.com/nonangled3.html
http://sewelldirect.com/usb2extensioncable.asp
http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=6539

Anyways I just wanted to share. ;)

neoobs

Retired Moderator
Mar 25, 2008
I bought one of these the day I bought my G1 at a T-Mobile store no less. They were getting rid of them and had them on sale for 15 dollars each. Sadly after 9 months I broke it. I had it plugged in and oops I knocked it off the G1 and the adapter piece bent. It still holds a charge and charges my phone but I want one with a cord so it doesn't happen again. Anyone seen the HTC portable batteries?

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
I bought one of these the day I bought my G1 at a T-Mobile store no less. They were getting rid of them and had them on sale for 15 dollars each. Sadly after 9 months I broke it. I had it plugged in and oops I knocked it off the G1 and the adapter piece bent. It still holds a charge and charges my phone but I want one with a cord so it doesn't happen again. Anyone seen the HTC portable batteries?

no i havnt where do i find these?

scottep1964

Aug 6, 2007
Wayne, NJ
Staples

I have used this for about 1 1/2 years now. FANTASTIC.
Staples seem to have them on clearance for as low as $6. I have a friend of mine in NY buying 4 of them for me. Since I commute by train, it is so nice to have a way to charge or top-off my G1.
I plug two of them together when charging.
No Cables..thats what I love.

wootroot

Mar 20, 2009
Glen Burnie
I have used this for about 1 1/2 years now. FANTASTIC.
Staples seem to have them on clearance for as low as $6. I have a friend of mine in NY buying 4 of them for me. Since I commute by train, it is so nice to have a way to charge or top-off my G1.
I plug two of them together when charging.
No Cables..thats what I love.

you know your a G1 addict when you have to chain together external chargers

especially if you already have a 2600mah battery! haha, id do it though