[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

Search This thread

AndroidRaven

Nov 7, 2013
Thank you,,, just asked him and he had a battery percent overlay.. which he deactivated, and lux is finally working.

Thanks again

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

chug

Dec 18, 2007
Does Lux actually control the brightness setting itself or does it use an overlay to make everything appear darker (or less bright) when automatically adjusting brightness?

AndroidRaven

Nov 7, 2013
You know I've always wondered the same thing. . from the looks of it it seems as if it simply adds an overlay to the screen.

I have tried it and use it at night sometimes so my screen doesn't hurt my eyes, but the screen looks as if you simply put a film on top of it, and it seems as if the actual brightness isn't effected underneath that layer.

Which in the end I've never fully understood weather it saves battery or if it wastes more battery considering the screen is just as bright underneath with an overlay on top.

I'm sure i'm wrong here, but dev will shed some light on it

jonesses

Oct 13, 2010
This is definitely not just an overlay. It does controll the backlight of your phone down to 0%. Below that it must use an overlay because the backlight of the screen can't be set lower than 0%. Therefore going into subzero doesn't save battery. It only saves your eyes in the dark.
I'm not the dev, but pretty sure it does work like that.
Great tool by the way :cool:

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

BloodyScreen

Oct 19, 2013
Can you adjust the intensity of that red overlay thingy? It would look better if it were a bit less intense

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk

szucsgf

Aug 8, 2012
Toronto
Can you adjust the intensity of that red overlay thingy? It would look better if it were a bit less intense

Sent from my One S using Tapatalk

You mean night mode? Click the Nighttime "Manual" button on the right hand side and you are given a slider you can toggle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384519674830.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384519674830.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 263
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384519693871.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384519693871.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 266

rob151515

Aug 7, 2010
Lux not working

Just purchased the paid version to support the developer but I've noticed that it stopped working all of a sudden and I'm not sure if it's a bug or it's something to do with the way I have configured it.

It was working fine yesterday then when I got up this morning the app no longer refreshes the lx value... even when opening and closing the app from the app drawer it used to auto refresh the value but this morning it seemed to be stuck on 1lx no matter what I did.

I fixed it by going into settings->advanced and ticked off/on 'Enable Lux' and it's now working again. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm on a Nexus 5 with 4.4.

AndroidRaven

Nov 7, 2013
Sounds like you had simply turned it off somehow.. Should be good now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

pcdisme

Jun 1, 2012
I'm getting the 'Update for "..." could not be downloaded due to an error. (403)'
I don't think this is being caused by the new update but this is the only app I'm receiving this on and never saw it before trying to download it. Has anyone else seen this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Cyb3rGlitch

Apr 12, 2011
Does Lux actually control the brightness setting itself or does it use an overlay to make everything appear darker (or less bright) when automatically adjusting brightness?
Both. First the backlight, and when that's at minimum, it adds an overlay.

You know I've always wondered the same thing. . from the looks of it it seems as if it simply adds an overlay to the screen.

I have tried it and use it at night sometimes so my screen doesn't hurt my eyes, but the screen looks as if you simply put a film on top of it, and it seems as if the actual brightness isn't effected underneath that layer.

Which in the end I've never fully understood weather it saves battery or if it wastes more battery considering the screen is just as bright underneath with an overlay on top.

I'm sure i'm wrong here, but dev will shed some light on it
See above reply.

No, I mean the Astronomer Mode. I can't find a slider which configures that option.
This isn't adjustable yet.

Low pass filter/decay over time: can anyone give an example for how this works?

Thanks.
The low pass filter dampens rapid fluctuation of lx values. With the decay option the lx value will gradually become the latest reading if enough time has passed with no readings.

I'm getting the 'Update for "..." could not be downloaded due to an error. (403)'
I don't think this is being caused by the new update but this is the only app I'm receiving this on and never saw it before trying to download it. Has anyone else seen this?

Have you tried clearing the Play Store app cache?

pcdisme

Jun 1, 2012
Have you tried clearing the Play Store app cache?

I sure have. Thanks for the suggestion though. I've tried just about everything I've seen through searching the internet. It kinda has me stumped that its just happening with this app. I've even tried uninstalling and re-installing Lux by using the Playstore web page.

By the way, this is the best brightness App on the market, IMHO. Awesome options and flexibility of configuration. It just plain works!

vitoski

Mar 1, 2009
Poland
May I have another feature request? Would you please add android activity/shortcut to change profile (day to night, car etc.)? Combining it with launcher gesture (most of the custom launchers have it) will allow quickly and easily switch between profiles without need to enter the app.
Would that be possible?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rxmxsh

huladaddy

Jul 10, 2012
Where are the plug-ins? Are there really only two (Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4)? I would pay for the app if there was a plug-in for my Samsung Galaxy S3.

kapybarus

Aug 25, 2011
Which mode is better for battery, change on wake up or change when conditions change. Also is auto function effective if I don t need most of time changing brightness?

Otherwise I like app, but little concerned about battery

wirtzpeitz

Nov 23, 2009
The low pass filter dampens rapid fluctuation of lx values. With the decay option the lx value will gradually become the latest reading if enough time has passed with no readings.
Thanks. So this is basically a sophisticated version of the "jitter control" option in the Brightness settings? Should I disable jitter control if the low pass filter is enabled?

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Despite the recent update that was supposed to fix some flicker issue, my screen still occasionally flickers, especially when turning the device on. This only happens when the Nexus 4 screen plug-in is enabled. Is this just something I have to live with or are there any changes I can make to the settings to fix this? Thanks.

pcdisme

Jun 1, 2012

Update: I have 2 google accounts on my phone. 1 of them seems to be the offender. If I remove it, the other one will add and remove Lux with no errors. As soon as I add the offending account back, the 403 error returns. I've tried using the web play store interface and get an error there also if I try to do an install.

shakil97

Nov 20, 2013
During incoming call brightness not changing

During incoming call in Daylight automatic brightness not changing with lux. After disconnecting the call brightness changes. Also during call(Exdialer) lux shows in sleeping mode. Please help.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unnamed.png

Lux - The Original Android Auto-Brightness App

So I thought I should make an XDA thread for Lux, over a year after releasing it to the Play Store!

FULL or FREE

Issues/Suggestions

If you have any issues or suggestions, please add them to the public issue tracker found here. Be sure to search first, duplicated issues will not work in your favour.

News
    • Update to 1.51 released to Play Store!
      - Profiles. Have different behaviour for day and night!
      - Root plug-ins. Custom kernel with RGB control? Make a plug-in to utilise it!
      - Improved notification
      - Low pass filter
      - Cubic interpolation
      - Polish/French/Russian/German/Italian translation
      - Manual sunrise location input
      - Control Dashboard slider with vol. keys
      - Fade duration/step
      - Reduced battery usage
      - Fixes

• Update to 1.06 released to Play Store!
      - Automatic night mode (uses location for sunset/sunrise).
      - Notification priority
      - Enhanced dashboard and notification UI
      - Enable/disable and refresh Lux via Tasker
      - Bug fixes

• Update to 0.76 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed brightness issues after call

• Update to 0.74 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed max/phone brightness preferences swapped
      - Added ignore 0 lux option
      - Made static phone brightness optional

• Update to 0.70 released to Play Store!
      - New 'ascending' automatic mode for zero jitter!
      - Expandable notification for added control (Android 4.1+)
      - Improved efficiency
      - Install to OS functionality
      - Set min/max brightness bounds
      - Adjustable night mode
      - Improved persistence (Android won't kill it!)
      - Fixed Nexus 7 255 luma bug
      - Fixed Tasker 'on wake' revert bug
      - Compat. mode is now known as 'sleep mode'
      - Night Mode now default Dashboard action (hold for Astro. mode)
      - Misc. tweaks and fixes.

App Description

Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If, for example, you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
    Lux provides the option to automatically adjust the backlight at fixed intervals (periodic mode), when a change in environment is detected (dynamic mode), or when the phone wakes from sleep. It's also possible to adjust the backlight manually. Simply disable automatic mode and you can use it like a traditional brightness tool!
    Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.

Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund at any time via e-mail - no questions asked.

★FEATURES★
    ■ Custom auto brightness.
    ■ Sub-zero brightness to make reading in the dark significantly less irritating.
    ■ Battery efficient
    ■ Handy brightness widget
    ■ Option to use the camera to read in ambient light.
    ■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, sensor debugging, and linked sample editing.
    ■ Backup to SD.
    ■ 'Ascending' auto mode for phones with inaccurate light sensors.
    ■ Gradual fade for backlight adjustments.
    ■ Astronomer mode adds a red filter to the screen to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
    ■ Jitter control to prevent constant small changes to the backlight.
    ■ Automatic night mode, to change the colour temperature of the display for comfortable night time viewing.
    ■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode
    ■ No ads, or other nuisances.
    ■ Tasker and Locale support!
    Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.

★PERMISSIONS★
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values, if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
    IN APP BILLING: Required for purchasing future device specific root only plug-ins, to enhance functionality.
    Lux Low-Level Plug-ins

Soon Lux will support plug-ins to bypass Android API limitations. These plug-ins serve to replace the overlay system Lux uses to make adjustments for Night/Astronomer modes and brightness in general. The plug-in library is free to use for non-commercial development, and can be found here:

Lux Plug-in Library | Nexus 4 Sample Plug-in Code

How to make a plug-in

There are two approaches to making a plug-in for Lux. The passive and the active method. The former is as easy as providing a set of superuser commands for Lux to interpret and apply. These command correlate to functions such as setting pixel RGB or brightness levels. This is the type of plug-in the Nexus 4 sample linked above takes.
    The active method requires you produce your own code to perform RGB/brightness adjustments. This might include importing a device specific library to do the heavy lifting, and then returning empty superuser commands back to Lux.

Getting Started

Simply import the Lux Plug-in Library source into your IDE as an Android Library Project, and then create a new Android app which extends PassiveDisplay.java.

PassiveDisplay provides hooks into Lux's plug-in framework, which you can use to provide superuser commands for Lux to execute. These commands correlate to functions such as setting RGB values. Take a look at the sample Nexus 4 project to see how it's all done.
    Finally, in your new project's AndroidManifest.xml file, add the following:

Code:
        <activity
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.MainActivity"
            android:label="@string/app_name" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

<receiver
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.LuxBroadcastReceiver"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.search" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>

<service
            android:name=".[B]MY_PLUGIN[/B]"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="[B]YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE[/B]" />
            </intent-filter>
        </service>

Be sure to replace YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE with the name of your plug-in's package, and MY_PLUGIN with your extended PassiveDisplay class.

And that's it! Now you're ready to test!

Enabling Plug-In support within Lux

To enable plug-in support, you must check 'Enable plug-in support' in the Advanced section of Lux settings. Enabling this option forfeits all responsibility of mine for any issues caused while using Lux. Plug-in's can cause very real damage to your device if they're written incorrectly - don't use plug-ins from sources you don't trust!
    Testing your plug-in
    Testing is critical for creating a good plug-in. You are dealing directly with system files, and can easily cause damage if you do not know what you're doing.

DO NOT RELEASE A PLUG-IN WITHOUT TESTING IT ON THE TARGET DEVICE FIRST!

Ensure that the following work with your plug-in installed:
    • Astronomer Mode
    • Night Mode
    • General brightness adjustment
    • Lux readings functional

BE METICULOUS WITH YOUR IMPLEMENTATION OF isSupportedDevice()!
    Modifying system files on the wrong model/kernel may cause irreversible issues!

Licence
    Code:
    Copyright © 2013 Vito Cassisi

You may not use this library except in compliance with the following:
        - It cannot be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances, unless explicit permission is granted in writing from the author.
        - Modifications to this library may not be distributed.

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
    distributed under this licence is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
    Lux v1.99.8 released (staged rollout)

- Added CF.lumen support (don't need CF.lumen active, just install the driver). Acts as a plug-in for all Android 4.4+ devices. Please buy the pro version to support his work.
    - System autobrightness enabled during calls
    - Option to shake at lockscreen to increase brightness
    - Option to prevent drop in brightness in landscape
    - Enforced persistent notification, added system removal method
    - Fixed dashboard width issue
    - Fixed notification priority resetting at boot
    - Misc. fixes
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.
    Apologies to everyone for not being around lately. I've been answering support via email.

A new release is rolling out on the market to 5% of users. Please use the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux preferences if you experience issues. Also, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.