Thanks Meter: 4,832

Post Reply Email Thread
28th March 2013, 05:58 AM |#101  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 370

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuhii

Angry Birds still serves me ads, I'm fully up to date with my HOSTS file, so I'm thinking some DEVs have changed the way there apps serve ads :/

Add Draw Something to the list as well
The Following User Says Thank You to geokilla For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift geokilla Ad-Free
28th March 2013, 11:58 AM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 119

More
Does anyone know what IP address or URL Angry Birds (and Draw Something) use to serve there ads, I would love to block them
28th March 2013, 03:00 PM |#103  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 506

More
I don't think we should be trying to block ads in apps that have paid versions available since removing the ads are as simple as buying the paid version to support the devs of the apps. Now if a paid version is not available in your country, or they only offer a free version with ads, then I say go for it, but cheating the devs seems to me to go against the community here on xda DEVELOPERS. Just my opinion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbyphoenix For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobbyphoenix Ad-Free
28th March 2013, 03:29 PM |#104  
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Meter: 583

More
Re: [APP] [UNOFFICIAL] AdAway v2.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyphoenix

I don't think we should be trying to block ads in apps that have paid versions available since removing the ads are as simple as buying the paid version to support the devs of the apps. Now if a paid version is not available in your country, or they only offer a free version with ads, then I say go for it, but cheating the devs seems to me to go against the community here on xda DEVELOPERS. Just my opinion.

I pay for the quality of the app, not to remove ads. I've spent over $200 on Android apps and games and well over that for ios apps and games.

The fact is, ads cause excessive data usage, slows the device down, causes instability, can interrupt your work flow and takes up screen real estate. It's like an intentional virus, and developers would have far more respect (and generate more income) from their users if they excluded them.

There are better ways to separate free from paid versions, but ads shouldn't be one of them.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EP2008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EP2008 Ad-Free
28th March 2013, 03:37 PM |#105  
Flag Visakhapatnam
Thanks Meter: 65

More
do i need to be rooted to use adaway?

Sent from my ST21i2 using xda premium
28th March 2013, 03:46 PM |#106  
Thanks Meter: 2,073

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by harigavara

do i need to be rooted to use adaway?

Sent from my ST21i2 using xda premium

Read the OP, and particularly the Developer's Site for info.
28th March 2013, 03:49 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 78

More
Regular ads that occupy a tiny bit of space and don't cover screen space that can hinder game play aren't too bad for free apps. It's the obtrusive ads that not only make it difficult to see what you're doing, but take you out of the game for full screen ads (during gameplay no less) that pisses me off. Not only is that a major hindrance, it slows down my phone. As usual, they take the ads too far and that's when I just don't care if the ad blockers cost them some revenue.

Just look at the recent Angry Bird updates for the free versions. Lots of new permissions and many people complaining about ads that just about make them unplayable. Even the paid versions on the Amazon app store have ads, but at least they're somewhat tolerable (so far).
28th March 2013, 04:01 PM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 935

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namoi

Did you reboot after updating the hosts file ?

Yes, you must reboot for the update to take effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro1970mvr

If I uninstall this app or AdFree, does the hosts file get wiped out?

Unless the uninstall process restores the original hosts file, you keep the latest hosts file as modified by the adblocker.
29th March 2013, 01:15 AM |#109  
Flag Midwest
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauro1970mvr;39637916

[/COLOR

If I uninstall this app or AdFree, does the hosts file get wiped out?

If you want to restore the stock host file all you need to do is press "Disabel ad blocking" when you open the app and the stock host file will be restored. You can then delete the app if you want leaving the stock host file intact.
31st March 2013, 09:01 AM |#110  
Flag hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 37

More
please update link. Unable to download (india)
31st March 2013, 04:43 PM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 274

More
A mirror here : http://dl.free.fr/mejmpMmbd

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 10 avec Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)